How to tell...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 11:28 PM

wjerlinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Question How to tell...

I was approached by a guy today that said he use to ride the same bike as me. He said he got rid of everything but still has a motor in his garage and he is looking to sell it cheap. I want to buy it but I first want to make sure it's legit. How can I tell? Is there a website to run numbers on? If so what numbers do I take from the motor? I told him I would meet him tomorrow to take a look at it but I want to meet him informed about what to look for. Please help.

If this is in the wrong area I'm sorry but I thought other people selling parts like this would know.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:35 PM
da fiddy bitches!!!

50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to tell...

judging by the area your from... im gonna go ahead and say its stolen..
Old 05-06-2008, 08:12 AM
NFP

NFP is a decent person

I'm sure a cop shop can run the vin on the engine for ya. I imagine then you will have to deal with them if it is stolen.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:15 PM

wjerlinger is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, the numbers on the motor don't match any numbers on the frame so I don't know what to do. I was told that the numbers on the motor are manufacturer code or something like that. He said that the VIN is on the frame and the title went with it so he said I will just have to take his word for it. Any last minute ideas? If not, I can't pass on such a good deal.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:12 PM

97eviltwin is a decent person

The owner is telling the truth. The engine number is not on most titles and has nothing to do with the VIN. If the VIN on the frame is on a title, that the owner has, than it's probably legit. Buy it! The TL engine is becoming hard to find.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:28 PM

justin75south is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 50Outlaw
judging by the area your from... im gonna go ahead and say its stolen..
cause he lives in dfw!? you no nothing of the situation but you assume because he's from a twin city area with 5.2 million people (in the year 2000) that everyone selling engines is a thief!?

i know you think that post count = ***** size, but your isnt needed in EVERY thread on stuntlife.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:31 PM
da fiddy bitches!!!

50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by justin75south
cause he lives in dfw!? you no nothing of the situation but you assume because he's from a twin city area with 5.2 million people (in the year 2000) that everyone selling engines is a thief!?

i know you think that post count = ***** size, but your isnt needed in EVERY thread on stuntlife.
no i think that because the whole situation seems shady and taking the amount of bike theft from there im pretty sure its hot....

so shut the **** up....
Old 05-07-2008, 09:30 AM

justin75south is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 50Outlaw
no i think that because the whole situation seems shady and taking the amount of bike theft from there im pretty sure its hot....

so shut the **** up....
how is it shady to request info on how to trace motor numbers?? the seller may seem a little shady, but i know tons of racers who part out bikes vs sell them outright for additional money. all from DFW, mind you. the title goes with the frame, then what does the seller have left as proof of the motor numbers?? they're not matching numbers, and from what i understand you need to be in the GTA division of law enforcement or work directly for honda to try and link frame and motor numbers.

and as far as telling me to shut the **** up .... perhaps take your own advice and learn when your opinion is needed (which isnt every thread) or just keep it to your self. you dont know me and id venture to say some of the very people you nut-ride and ride with on a regular basis are pretty good friends of mine. so know your role son.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:32 PM
da fiddy bitches!!!

i wasnt talking about him being shady i was talkin about the seller...

someone walks up to you at a gas station and asks if you want to buy a motor and has no proof its not stolen??? get the **** outta here....

i realy dont care who your friends are dude, if you wanna pull some bullshit like tryin to get someone down here to beat my *** just cause of a little pissing match on the internet then your retarded...

now with that being said, this is over..

come to austin, ill buy ya a beer