polishing how-to

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 10:54 PM
stu

stu is an unknown quantity at this point
polishing how-to

does any one know how-to polish their frame and or swingarm?what kind of sandining machine did you use(palm sander,drill, angle grinder)?whhat grit sand paper?how does one wet sand?how many passes do you make?are there any little tricks i should know?
Old 11-11-2004, 11:38 PM

Got2josh is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: polishing how-to

if you have to ask these questions then don't start out on a bike that you own...
Old 11-12-2004, 12:50 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

sickboy can only hope to improve

Have some one else do it. I did my whole bike by hand took me all winter to do it ... a month after i finished it my brother crashed my bike and broke the frame all the work for nothing. If you do do it pratic on small peices first (rear sets,heal guards etc...) or a spare peice of metal ..

Brian
Old 11-12-2004, 01:01 AM
stu

Originally Posted by Got2josh
if you have to ask these questions then don't start out on a bike that you own...
thanks but i am a carpenter by trade.for the last 13 years,which enables me to fix just about anything,i rebuilt a motor by myself from a shop manual,this should be pretty ez
Old 11-12-2004, 01:06 AM
stu

Originally Posted by sickboy
Have some one else do it. I did my whole bike by hand took me all winter to do it ... a month after i finished it my brother crashed my bike and broke the frame all the work for nothing. If you do do it pratic on small peices first (rear sets,heal guards etc...) or a spare peice of metal ..

Brian
why'd you do it by hand when you could of used power tools.from what i understand this project just takes alot of time,since winter is coming up here in the great N.E. i should have some free time.besides i never pay for labor when i can do it my self. thanks for the suggestion of starting out small.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:32 AM

_juice_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stu
why'd you do it by hand when you could of used power tools.from what i understand this project just takes alot of time,since winter is coming up here in the great N.E. i should have some free time.besides i never pay for labor when i can do it my self. thanks for the suggestion of starting out small.
if you use a drill you will have spots where you went too deep,palm sanders leave swirl marks and what the hell are you gonna do with a grinder?
i done both of mine by hand, it takes longer but in the end it's worth it(if you take your time) if you wet sand, all you do is keep water on the frame while your sanding. good luck
Old 11-12-2004, 01:38 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

sickboy can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by stu
Though it would come out better by hand because power tool are only good for so much and can f@#$ stuff yup very quickly .. and didn't know what i was geting myself in to .....
Old 11-12-2004, 02:05 AM

suicidalkings is an unknown quantity at this point

dry sand with600-800,then800-1000,then1000-1200,then wet 1200-1500, I got the two polishing comp. from some guy at a swapmeet ,takes about 8-12 hours ,simple but time consuming
Old 11-12-2004, 02:13 AM

_juice_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by suicidalkings
dry sand with600-800,then800-1000,then1000-1200,then wet 1200-1500, I got the two polishing comp. from some guy at a swapmeet ,takes about 8-12 hours ,simple but time consuming
i used "mothers billet aluminum polish" you can get it at any auto parts store for about $6
I wet sanded mine with 1500 then polished it, then went back and wet sanded with 2000 and polished again. looked like chrome!!!