Finally up on one..even though it was only for a second :x

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 02:22 PM

truth is an unknown quantity at this point
Finally up on one..even though it was only for a second :x

Finally got the ******' front wheel UP this Friday!!

I ride a stock 04 R6, and have been trying to power them up in first with no luck. My buddy who is able to power up told me he noticed that although I was sitting all the way back in the seat, I wasn't leaning back, but leaning forward.
So...leaned back and DAMN!! felt what it's like to be on one wheel..and it's FUN

I'm going in first to about 6k, close throttle and reopen while leaning back and it gets up, but goes right back down..my actions are probably too quick/natural/instinct for me to realize what I'm doing wrong..

What I'm really trying to figure out is how the hell to clutch it up in 2nd..anyone have specific experience with an 03-04 R6??
I've played around with different combo's, and all I can get is a little bounce. I've tried revving high and pulling the clutch half in, all the way in, etc..and again, I just get a little bounce, I don't think I'm even getting the wheel up.
And related to me wondering how to do this..it REALLY makes me wonder how the hell you can do a slow parking lot wheelie and just get the bike to come up to you (if you stand up)

Can someone explain a bit of a detailed process? I want to be able to do stand up and clutch 2nd
I'm guessing you put your left foot on the passenger peg the instant after you use your hands to pop up the bike? Neither me or my friend can figure out when and how exactly you stand up when doing stand ups..

Thanks in advance for any help guys..just trying to have some fun and STUNT
Old 11-08-2004, 02:48 PM
2 WHEELS UP!

Kyle_PBZ is a decent person
Re: Finally up on one..even though it was only for a second :x

Read the sticky post at the top.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:18 PM

DirtyDanza is an unknown quantity at this point

clutch and yank those bars and it will come up
Old 11-08-2004, 05:48 PM

i've read the sticky and am looking for more detail..

pulling the clutch to the disengage point and dumping it while twisting the throttle gives me a bounce..i have a little better luck with pulling the clutch all the way and then dumping it after revving high

i have a little more insight from reading the 600rr standup thread that you stand up normally and as you clutch you step the left foot back onto the passenger as your front wheel is coming up..

can someone with a 600 give me an example of what rpm's they are using when clutching 2nd and standing? so are you in 2nd going around 30-40mph at around 5-6k rpm, stand up, pull in the clutch (half or all the way), twist the throttle (to what rpm??), and then let go of the clutch and step your left foot back??
I'm just trying to envision the whole thing..and I have no idea what rpm's you guys are at, etc.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:42 PM

NovaMan is an unknown quantity at this point

power wheelies are garbage
Old 11-08-2004, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by NovaMan
power wheelies are garbage
thanks....but damn man, that's all you can say? i'm trying to learn stand up clutch 2nd..can you offer some advice and provide some details that i asked about in my post above?
Old 11-08-2004, 11:20 PM

SloppyRob is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll help you out on the clutch thing. To clutch up in second your going to have to practice your technique unless your a natural? Its not a grab the clutch in and dump thing. For second gear on a 600 900 or whatever your gonna have to give it a decent amount of gas and slip the clutch. By slip i mean one finger like a damn push button (adjust your lever so you can use one finger to slip it). Quickly twist the throttle half way and slip that clutch. Keep the throttle hand steady while doing this and afterwards until the wheel comes up. Depending on how much throttle, how long you hold the clutch (very slightly) and how long you hold on to the throttle the wheel will come up. You can loop that thing in second if you like! Practice the technique.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by SloppyRob
I'll help you out on the clutch thing. To clutch up in second your going to have to practice your technique unless your a natural? Its not a grab the clutch in and dump thing. For second gear on a 600 900 or whatever your gonna have to give it a decent amount of gas and slip the clutch. By slip i mean one finger like a damn push button (adjust your lever so you can use one finger to slip it). Quickly twist the throttle half way and slip that clutch. Keep the throttle hand steady while doing this and afterwards until the wheel comes up. Depending on how much throttle, how long you hold the clutch (very slightly) and how long you hold on to the throttle the wheel will come up. You can loop that thing in second if you like! Practice the technique.
THANK you for giving details..

I'll try that out...so you're using one finger because you only want to get to the point where the clutch disengages, correct?
But what doesn't make sense to me...is that you're saying to keep slipping the clutch as I twist the throttle more...how is the wheel going to come up if the clutch is disengaged? It's only going to start revving higher, no?
Or is it because I'm barely slipping the clutch that it transfers more power to the wheel rather than just revving?
Do you get what I'm saying?
Damn I'm pretty confused :\
Old 11-10-2004, 12:16 AM

SloppyRob is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for leaving you hanging there. Your somewhat right in your thinking but your misunderstanding the concept. Basically your just allowing the engine to rev up very quickly by slipping the clutch. When i say slip i mean about a half of a second of slipping. You give the bike enough throttle and as it's hitting a powerband (when the bike starts to really pull) you use your pointer finger to quickly push in the clutch and let out. Visualize the lever as a button. Give it gas, stay on it, push the button and let out fast. That's it. The release is key. when you let out the clutch quickly your throttle hand should be feeding a nice amount of power. Practice for a while and you'll see what i mean. Oh and make sure you begin twisting the throttle before you work the clutch lever...this is how the power is made...Unless your wheeling from a dead stop. Thats the best explanation i can give over the net. Let me know how it goes.

Originally Posted by Truth
THANK you for giving details..

I'll try that out...so you're using one finger because you only want to get to the point where the clutch disengages, correct?
But what doesn't make sense to me...is that you're saying to keep slipping the clutch as I twist the throttle more...how is the wheel going to come up if the clutch is disengaged? It's only going to start revving higher, no?
Or is it because I'm barely slipping the clutch that it transfers more power to the wheel rather than just revving?
Do you get what I'm saying?
Damn I'm pretty confused :\
Old 11-10-2004, 03:46 PM

ohhhh...okay..thanks a lot, man...
the button analogy is a good one and helps me understand

i'll go try that later, i'm hopping on the bike after work