Sprocket size for Wheelies

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 12:06 PM

IronDove is an unknown quantity at this point
Sprocket size for Wheelies

Hey all, I'm a newbie here on the site and on the road. This is my first year riding. I have a 1987 Honda CBR600 Hurricane and I am already standing on my seat, dragging feet and knees, trying stoppies (pittiful right now) and Wheelies. (How I can I add pics of my little adventures by the way?) Right now though, I am concentrating on my wheelies. I'm having some trouble though. When I clutch it up in first gear, (which is the only way and gear) I can only get it about a foot off the ground. I even tried lowering my back tire to 15psi. How effective is rocking the bike? Also, I have a stock sprocket on the back. (I'm gonna see if I can count the teeth cause I don't have specs on me) I was thinking about getting a bigger sprocket. How many more teeth should I go? And how much will this drop my top speed? (Not that it matters much). I just wanna get that sucka up and keep it up for good. Hopefully without having to rock it.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:11 PM

catach42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Sprocket size for Wheelies

Originally Posted by IronDove
Hey all, I'm a newbie here on the site and on the road. This is my first year riding. I have a 1987 Honda CBR600 Hurricane and I am already standing on my seat, dragging feet and knees, trying stoppies (pittiful right now) and Wheelies. (How I can I add pics of my little adventures by the way?) Right now though, I am concentrating on my wheelies. I'm having some trouble though. When I clutch it up in first gear, (which is the only way and gear) I can only get it about a foot off the ground. I even tried lowering my back tire to 15psi. How effective is rocking the bike? Also, I have a stock sprocket on the back. (I'm gonna see if I can count the teeth cause I don't have specs on me) I was thinking about getting a bigger sprocket. How many more teeth should I go? And how much will this drop my top speed? (Not that it matters much). I just wanna get that sucka up and keep it up for good. Hopefully without having to rock it.
u can clutch that biek in 2nd stock geared. one of my friends looped one, it was his first bike and he only had it for 2 wks til he looped, i think his was an 88 tho, prolly the same thing
Old 10-19-2004, 12:12 PM

DoodleF4i can only hope to improve

go +10 in the rear,no more no less :YEAH it'll come up then
Old 10-19-2004, 12:15 PM
Regular StuntLifer

RoadStainR6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Slide all the way back in the seat, lock out your arms, clutch it a little harder, and it STAY ON THE THROTTLE! it will continue to climb. If it still isn't comming high enough for you slip the clutch more and rev it higher. It will definitely come up. As far as doing wheelies in other gears, you can probably bounce it up in second when you're standing. but it'll take a lot of practice. I would suggest a 520 conversion if you're lookin to maintain most of your highway speed. And it will make doin wheelies a lot easier as well! Also go ahead and read through the sticky on top about "how to do wheelies the right way". It's a damn good read and you'll learn a lot. Good luck and be safe!
Old 10-19-2004, 03:52 PM

Squidmark is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RoadStainR6
I would suggest a 520 conversion if you're lookin to maintain most of your highway speed.
A 520 conversion is merely a different (smaller/lighter) chain, which has no affect on gearing. (im 90% sure u know this, just clearing it up).

On my 1991 cbr 600 F2, I went -1 in front, and +3 in the rear and like it. It will still pull to 145 which is fast enough for me. I think I turn 6,000 rpm at 65mph.

Stock, you 'can' clutch them up in second, it takes alot of pratice, a decent bounce, and alot of clutch. I never was very consistant at 2nd gear before I put new sprockets on....have fun man! And buy frame sliders if you dont have them yet.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:14 PM

Thanks a lot for your imput guys. How much do frame sliders cost? I could have used them a while back. lol but we won't get into that.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:35 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

-MXD- is an unknown quantity at this point

you dont need to slide to the back of your seat at all. it will make it harder to control the bike. you just need to rev it higher, slip the clutch faster/smoother and stay on the gas. sitting in the back of you seat just makes you that much further from your bike and also adds another variable to the equation. if anything, sit close to the tank and lean back if the other stuff doesnt work first.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Squidmark
A 520 conversion is merely a different (smaller/lighter) chain, which has no affect on gearing. (im 90% sure u know this, just clearing it up).

On my 1991 cbr 600 F2, I went -1 in front, and +3 in the rear and like it. It will still pull to 145 which is fast enough for me. I think I turn 6,000 rpm at 65mph.

Stock, you 'can' clutch them up in second, it takes alot of pratice, a decent bounce, and alot of clutch. I never was very consistant at 2nd gear before I put new sprockets on....have fun man! And buy frame sliders if you dont have them yet.
How much does -1 +3 drop your top speed? How much would 0 +10?