how do i bounce the bike for wheelies?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 03:00 PM

DarkMemory is an unknown quantity at this point
how do i bounce the bike for wheelies?

im trying but having difficulty,my stance is front break peg,rear passenger peg.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:34 PM
Regular StuntLifer

RoadStainR6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: how do i bounce the bike for wheelies?

using just your legs, just... jump. no different than you would jump off the ground. push down on the bike with your legs and as it "bounces" back up whack the throttle and bring it up. It will feel weird at first but you'll get it. Good luck and be safe
Old 10-11-2004, 03:37 PM
Two Tone

Tony Carbajal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DarkMemory
im trying but having difficulty,my stance is front break peg,rear passenger peg.

learn the clutch, bouncing is one of the easiest ways to loop your bike. If your gonna stunt consider swaping that bike for another like a gsxr 600 or an f4i.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:38 PM

DoodleF4i can only hope to improve

i use more of my right foot and my left arm to make it bounce..i sort of bounce and tug the bars are the same time...works for me
Old 10-11-2004, 04:09 PM

is bouncing really that unsafe to do?i can get it to come right up if i clutch it right,but people have said bouncing it when i clutch would make it easier,but it seems so uncomfortable to doso
Old 10-12-2004, 10:29 AM

Got2josh is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been bouncing+clutching my kat up to near bp for a couple weeks now and it seems that the only way to get it that high is to bounce. With just clutch it only gets a foot or so.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:36 AM

i was riding them out nice as hell yest.rode a few to redline.w/out bouncing,but i agree.bp w/out bouncing seems to not happen. tisk tisk
Old 10-12-2004, 12:13 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

-MXD- is an unknown quantity at this point

you need to keep your *** over the rear seat and pull on the bars as you come up. you are basically going to lean back hard as you are coming up and i bet you can start getting it up in 2nd. stay on the gas and hit the brake once you get to bp so you dont loop. and i would keep your stance.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:06 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

timeBOMB can only hope to improve

Are you doing slow stuff or just rocking it riding down the street?

If youre not doing the slow **** forget the rear peg until you can rock em out for miles... just get on the gas jump on both pegs downward and give er gas.
Timing is key.. i found if I start giving it gas on the way down then its hitting the powerband on the way up when you need it.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:08 PM

louigi can only hope to improve

you should only bounce it on power wheelies and fast ****
Old 10-12-2004, 09:36 PM

Motorhead636 is an unknown quantity at this point

I bounce the front end just a little with my arms and also clutch it at the same time about 5000 rpm in 2nd gear and lean back. I think its more controllable this way without having to be on the gas as much, and ive never really come close to looping. It depends on your bike to. Try everybodies suggestions and see whats suits you best.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:21 AM

devin140 is an unknown quantity at this point

the only bad thing i can tell you about bouncing them up is sometimes you'll get a wobble, just a little too much movement going on, but i still prefer to bounce them up.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:01 AM

carolinaboy is an unknown quantity at this point

yea i can relate, i am having trouble as well. the timing and bp are crucial i know but when i watch someone do a standup, they do it fast, i mean bounce /clutch/rev/release. and it seems to come right up to the perfect balance point. is it just practice? i read the basic wheelie article and it helps alot, but just reading how to and actually doing it, has not been easy for me. I appreciate your help and tips, cause i really am getting frustrated with it. Don't want to crash out, but really want to do stand ups. Please keep the help coming thanks
Old 10-22-2004, 11:07 AM

gixxer0.6g is an unknown quantity at this point

You can bounce all you want and look like a jack *** on a pogo stick but I've found the real trick is when you bounce down and compress the shocks, to bounce back up so that your weight is heading towards the back of your bike. LEAN BACK. Get your weight to the rear of the bike and it will come up faster than teenage boy at a Britney Spears concert.
I :YEAH
Old 10-22-2004, 11:24 AM

mad1000rr is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: how do i bounce the bike for wheelies?

get off the front brake ,are you in a lot or track ? put your weight on the forks and bounce the front end ,be on the gas when it rebounds after that you will go for miles. i don't use my clutch ,but i like power wheelies . i have held my 1000rr for about 4.5 miles at about 110-130mph got some sick footage
Old 10-22-2004, 12:04 PM

im trying to learn standups, but i have yet to get it up. Im getting use to the surge backward and trying not to twist the throttle when it throughs me back. my question is, should i maintain my position and let it come up, like pulling it in to my body or stay in position and move with the bike? maybe thats what you mean by lean back? And once it comes up just gradually increase throttle to hold it there or will i have to twist it. again, thanks, for the training.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:10 PM

gixxer0.6g is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carolinaboy
im trying to learn standups, but i have yet to get it up. Im getting use to the surge backward and trying not to twist the throttle when it throughs me back. my question is, should i maintain my position and let it come up, like pulling it in to my body or stay in position and move with the bike? maybe thats what you mean by lean back? And once it comes up just gradually increase throttle to hold it there or will i have to twist it. again, thanks, for the training.
Practice, practice, practice. I ride my 2nd gear power wheelies with both feet on the front pegs. I've tried with one leg back but it's to awkward. And I do all my compressing with my feet, not the bars. Bounce with your feet, shift your weight to the back of your bike and reef on the throttle while pulling the bars back to you. It's hard to explain but I've found to focus on keeping your weight always pushing to the back of the bike. Don't rush it, it will come.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:27 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

-MXD- is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mad1000rr
i have held my 1000rr for about 4.5 miles at about 110-130mph got some sick footage
good thing to teach a newbie to do
Old 10-22-2004, 12:44 PM

Got2josh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carolinaboy

I know what you mean, like, when it comes up you kinda get nervous and throw your weight foreward to bring it back down? Yup, been there.
You want to maintain pretty much the same postition after you bounce, I personally use my body to compress the forks, kinda throw my weight foreward and then just lean back as I drop the clutch. After you bounce it you want to keep your bosy in pretty much the exact same position, none of this tank-humping crap. If you feel like you're going over (which you're probably not going to) that's what the back break is there for. ALWAYS cover that thing, it's saved my skin on more than one occation.

now when it's comeing up you need to stay on the gas until you get to bp, getting comfortable with that is all about repetition, just do it over and over. But when it's coming up stay on the gas, and keep your body somewhat back, not hanging off ot the bike but not humping the tank either. Probably just about how you'd be standing on the rear left/front right if you were just riding.
But like everyone here will tell you, it's all about practice, just do it over and over and over and you'll get it. Go to a parking lot and don't let yourself leave until you're hitting and staying at BP.

And wear your gear man, that's the biggest thing, road rash sucks.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:20 PM

Thanks fellows, your input helps alot and takes the mystery out of it a little. I can't say enough how much i appreciate all of the help i've gotten. Again, thanks. I'll be back later to let ya know how it turned out.