flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 02:59 PM

J_fukin_t is an unknown quantity at this point
flywheel

does anyone know by chance if you can get a lightened flywheel for bikes, i'd like my to be a lil peppyer on the rev
Old 10-11-2004, 03:38 PM
Regular StuntLifer

RoadStainR6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: flywheel

The amount of rotating mass on a car flywheel versus that of a motorcycle flywheel is rediculous. I can't imagine that a flywheel would even make a difference on a bike. They already scream through the RPMs. There's no way that small *** wheel is drawing away much HP. You might be able to find somethin on some of the race sites. But I dunno if you'd want to mess around with it.

Think of it this way. A lightened flywheel is basically just thinner and lighter material. Thus being less durable and strong. With you slipping and dumping the clutch all the time thats going to put a lot of stress on it. You wouldn't want to break the teeth off of it and have them rattling around and shyit. I may be way off base here so if I am someone please correct me. But I really don't think you'd notice any difference man. Just my
Old 10-11-2004, 04:57 PM

J_fukin_t is an unknown quantity at this point

i was kinda thinking along the same lines but, i didn't know if it was like a car or not, but i def appreciate the advice :YEAH
Old 10-11-2004, 05:11 PM

wangsta6 is a decent person

i highly doubt it
Old 10-12-2004, 01:21 PM

Jaket is an unknown quantity at this point

Most 4cylinder bikes hardly have any flywheel. Some have generator at the end of the crank which acts like flywheel. bikes like ducati and TL's have little flywheels and it's common that ducati tuners change lighter flywheels to get more power and quicker rev up.

Usually 4 cylinder rev up is only limited by power and thus gearing, with shorter gearing it revs up quicker as every gear is shorter.

Also smaller flywheel makes throttle much more tricker happy, which is bad for stunting. Stunt bike would be much better with heavy flywheel. Less change to stall and much more inertia power to clutch the front up.

This is the reason why some new machines are harder to wheelie then old ones. New ones are too light(engine internals). Some old XR650 is heavy and easier to wheelie then some new 525 KTM.

JT