slower standups?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 11:14 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

potential is a decent person
Question slower standups?

i can rock 2nd and 3rd gear standups at the bp but i always end up locking in at around 12K. i've been trying to get them to the bp quicker and from a lower speed but do i need to rely on the rear brake to ride them out slower?
B
Old 10-07-2004, 01:52 AM

Thehate is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: slower standups?

It's all about getting the front up high. If you're not using your back brake, you're not up high enough. It's all in the brake bro. Try a bigger sprocket, I'm running 20 tooth up... or do it in 1st.

PS. I clutch everthing up but some of my bros. just pull theres up.

Last edited by Thehate; 10-07-2004 at 01:58 AM.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:16 AM

Z-UNIT is an unknown quantity at this point

YOU DONT NEED TO USE ANY BRAKE. when ur at 12g in second and ur balanced bring ti back further. yes further go very slowly u will start to slwo the wheelie down with jsut engine braking. because if u go high enuff u off the gas more than u r on it. cover the brake for safety but u shud be able to slow the wheelie down until about 8-9g then u might need brake cuz there wont be enuff engen braking. jsut go higher, and u wills tart to go slower.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:36 AM
man whore

Ruff will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Z-UNIT
YOU DONT NEED TO USE ANY BRAKE. when ur at 12g in second and ur balanced bring ti back further. yes further go very slowly u will start to slwo the wheelie down with jsut engine braking. because if u go high enuff u off the gas more than u r on it. cover the brake for safety but u shud be able to slow the wheelie down until about 8-9g then u might need brake cuz there wont be enuff engen braking. jsut go higher, and u wills tart to go slower.

Man... maybe its my bike, but every time I try that technique I get a serious wobble going on that back tire. I've tried different body positions and I've dropped my tire pressure to like 15 psi but I still get it. Weird.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:09 AM
Scrape and keep going...

not_me is an unknown quantity at this point

My bike gets extremely squirrelly with 15psi at high speeds. I actually like more pressure because I turn a lot on the highway, and it turns easier.

Since I don't know much about your bike, I am going by your avatar. You are rockin pretty well there, but do as Fat Joe says "Lean Back"....... A sprocket will help, but in all honesty it doesn't do much but get your bike up easier in higher gears and give you more engine brake. The avatar looks really good btw, you are doin it.

I get my bike to BP quick in 2nd with a quick flick of the clutch. I don't depend on the brake to get or sustain BP but it helps when trying to slow down, and the obvious "too far back quick save me" issue.

Get used to the bike. You will soon snap that clutch and have it sit where you want it. Its all about you and your bike. I thought I was high until my boy caught some vids of me on the highway and I saw the bike barely at 45 degrees. You feel like your high but you aren't. Without that vid I would still be doing accelerated woolies. I can hang next to cars, slow down, and speed up now, all from critiquing that one vid. It made me 1000% better!

Feel comfortable; crack a beer, and WOOLIE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT.

Blox, Ya heard? Workin on exits.....
Old 10-08-2004, 11:35 AM

-MXD- is an unknown quantity at this point

i dont think its neccessary to use the brake to slow down, but when you are just starting to slow them down, its a good idea to use the brake. it will prevent you from looping later on.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:11 PM

thanks guys, heres a better pic of my stance (or something close to it), just slightly bent at the knees. i've been trying different things like pulling the bike higher to my chest or leaning back and straightening my arms more but i haven't been able to slow it down yet. i'm running full pressure in the rear b/c i still hit the mountains a lot, but i only get a wobble when doing sitdowns or sometimes with third gear standups. any avice on turning or leaning? i'm still working on getting my wieght proportioned correctly b/c sometimes when i start drifting i can't bring it back... oh and my gearing is -1/+2 (still has good top end for the street/track)
B
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	119_1943A.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	102369  
Old 10-08-2004, 07:39 PM

BVRider1 is an unknown quantity at this point

you clutching right???

Try them in 1st. Get smooth with the throttle.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ruff Ryder TX
Man... maybe its my bike, but every time I try that technique I get a serious wobble going on that back tire. I've tried different body positions and I've dropped my tire pressure to like 15 psi but I still get it. Weird.

not trying to critisize you but maybe its cuz ur un smotoh on the throttle. mine wobble every once and a while when im un smooth with the throttle. trying to slow it down with throttel u need to hit the bp then move the gas in like 1/8 of an inch increments lol
Old 10-08-2004, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by potential
thanks guys, heres a better pic of my stance (or something close to it), just slightly bent at the knees. i've been trying different things like pulling the bike higher to my chest or leaning back and straightening my arms more but i haven't been able to slow it down yet. i'm running full pressure in the rear b/c i still hit the mountains a lot, but i only get a wobble when doing sitdowns or sometimes with third gear standups. any avice on turning or leaning? i'm still working on getting my wieght proportioned correctly b/c sometimes when i start drifting i can't bring it back... oh and my gearing is -1/+2 (still has good top end for the street/track)
B
thats a nice pic and ur so close to being there. try puttin ur left foot back it will take weight off ur arms and let u use the throttle with mreo control cuz u wont be holdin on so tight with ur arms. ur almost at the bp but ur kinda far from the "slow the wheelie" down point. but keep it up and practice also run about 20 psi 25 psi in ur tire, it wont turn as easily there fore less wobble, but ull still ber able to turn when u want. you can do it with ur psi its jsut harder

Last edited by Z-UNIT; 10-08-2004 at 10:30 PM. Reason: edit
Old 10-09-2004, 01:06 AM

Xris is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Z-UNIT
thats a nice pic and ur so close to being there. try puttin ur left foot back it will take weight off ur arms and let u use the throttle with mreo control cuz u wont be holdin on so tight with ur arms. ur almost at the bp but ur kinda far from the "slow the wheelie" down point. but keep it up and practice also run about 20 psi 25 psi in ur tire, it wont turn as easily there fore less wobble, but ull still ber able to turn when u want. you can do it with ur psi its jsut harder
ya wut he said,

the faster u go the less your height has to be to ride out a long wheelie.thas y your hittin like 12k.
so use first,cover the brake, and get it up right away.
give it gas slowly till u dont feel the engine rpm's climbin.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:23 PM

Thehate is an unknown quantity at this point

try putting your left foot on your rear peg and keep your right foot over you brake..
Old 10-10-2004, 02:23 PM

a56kuser is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Thehate
try putting your left foot on your rear peg and keep your right foot over you brake..
leannn back leannn back
what i like to do is bring it up at 2nd and shift to 3rd that way you get to bring it up at the speed of 2nd gear but you have the big throttle play of 3rd gear enabling you to go higher more smoothly........ it should slow down around here...

your almost there....... the bike will feel and sound different when you hit that sweet spot........ most important thing to remember here is to creep up past that balance point slowly and smoothly
Old 10-10-2004, 02:51 PM

thanks for the advice 56K.
B
Old 10-10-2004, 06:50 PM
Regular StuntLifer

Casey_gsxr is an unknown quantity at this point

Get it up there faster and a lil higher.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:20 PM

casey we need to hit the streets you can show me what's up.
B