What to do: I stripped out the motor mount.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 07:19 PM

Hurley42385 is an unknown quantity at this point
What to do: I stripped out the motor mount.

Me and my friend were taking my FI cage to put my plastics back on and when we put the bolt back in somehow he managed to strip half of the threads of the aluminum motor mount on the head. how do I fix this. I have a 98' 900rr. I'm guessing I should tap it and then try to put a nut on the backside. Any ideas. What have ya'll done to your bikes. I know I'm not the first to do this.

Kenny
Old 10-05-2004, 07:26 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

-MXD- is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: What to do: I stripped out the motor mount.

Originally Posted by Hurley42385
Me and my friend were taking my FI cage to put my plastics back on and when we put the bolt back in somehow he managed to strip half of the threads of the aluminum motor mount on the head. how do I fix this. I have a 98' 900rr. I'm guessing I should tap it and then try to put a nut on the backside. Any ideas. What have ya'll done to your bikes. I know I'm not the first to do this.

Kenny

you dont even need to put a nut on the back. all you need to do is re tap the thread. figure the original bolt was a M10 1.25 x 70 you will need a tap for a M12 1.5. the bolt you will need is a M12 1.5 x 70 or whatever the length of the original bolt was.

hope this helps, i just did this to my friends f4i yesterday. very easy, took about 10 min total. we used an M12 1.75 thread however.

need more help let me know, i go to bolt shops weekly so i know whats up.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:44 PM

Hurley42385 is an unknown quantity at this point

What about tapping it up to the next size and then putting a heli-coil in it to bring it back to the original size?
Old 10-05-2004, 10:15 PM

gixxer_mark is an unknown quantity at this point

heli-coils suck for anything load bearing.... just tap it bigger or drill out the threads and use a bolt/nut combo.... if you tap it bigger make sure you keep the tap oiled well or you will have shitty threads when you are done and a bolt that is hard to start....
Old 10-05-2004, 10:16 PM

Up0n0ne is an unknown quantity at this point

no need to go bigger with the bolt. i snapped my motor mount bolt on my r-1 and bought a perma-coil (heli-coil) kit and it tells you what drill bit to use and comes with the thread tap for the coil. i think i bought it at pep boys.

my original bolt was m10 x 1.25 and that is the kit i bought. you will be drilling it out bigger but the coil will take up that space and allow you to use the same size bolt.
worked great for me.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:17 PM

threekidss is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hurley42385

Kenny
heya,
just did this on my 96 rr two weeks ago......I believe mine was an m10 x 1.50......but the bolt that I was given was short......no need to to over size......just got the longer bolt and retapped.....use plenty of oil and go over it a feew times........what also helped me was to buy a 12 ppoint 1/4 socket and a 9" 1/4 extension to get through the front tab......get the right size socket to fit the tap......this really makes it easier.....with a new ratchet I spent 30.00......youll be fine.