Frustrated Wheelyer

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 09:30 PM

kat00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Frustrated Wheelyer

Hows it goin all?

Yeah Frustrated all right.
I CAN ride my bike, Track days, twisties blah,blah,blah. In fact I have put 6000 miles on my bike in 4 months. Yep, Got all my protective gear and wear it ALL the time.

Problem is wheelies. they are so inconsistent it is unbelievable.
I`m 2 up on the back and 1st is out of the question. It is way,way too twitchy, so I clutch it up in 2nd This is where the problem is. Ya see 1 out of 10 I can ride for about 150yards, comes up nice and smooth. The other 9 could be anywhere from 6 inches off the ground to almost vertical.
Only been trying to wheelie for about 6 weeks and I know that practice is the answer.

What I want to know where you guys inconsistent when you started out?
If so, how did you overcome your inconsistency?
Old 09-19-2004, 11:58 PM

cedz is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Frustrated Wheelyer

Originally Posted by kat00
and I know that practice is the answer.

What I want to know where you guys inconsistent when you started out?
If so, how did you overcome your inconsistency?
you said it yourself...the only way you're gonna get there is if you take your bike and your riding style and go ride. i was sketchy as hell learning wheelies back in the day. try 'em stand up first. i learned 'em sit down and when it came time to do slow ****, i had to learn stand ups before that. 's all good now tho.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:38 AM

Memphisgsxr600 is an unknown quantity at this point

I learned first with power throttling it in first with a stock gsxr 600. Then I got use to the clutch but it was also roll of the dice for me when how I would do. Like you said it take practice to know your bike. Track and twisties are a different throttle control feeling. You just got to get use to how the bike handles @ different rpms @ different speeds when bringing the wheel off the ground. Just got to play around with the rpm levels and where they need to be @ different speeds before dumping the clutch.
I only bring it up in first but after a few months of Practice I can bring it up anywhere in first and ride it out to the redline, either sitting down or standups. BP @ a steady speed is what I am about now.

Have a hard @$$ time with second, can't wait my front sprocket -2 should be in today or tomorrow. I should bring it up all day after that.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:52 PM
BOOBS

Cody W is a decent person

i was really inconsistant at first. i learned how to power up in first. and i had a heck of a time learning how to clutch. but one day i just brought it up and got it. like something just clicked. you just have to practice.
anyways thats my . good luck.
\cody
Old 09-20-2004, 01:41 PM
FHL
I Chose to No Longer Post

FHL is a decent person

Originally Posted by Memphisgsxr600
I learned first with power throttling it in first with a stock gsxr 600. Then I got use to the clutch but it was also roll of the dice for me when how I would do. Like you said it take practice to know your bike. Track and twisties are a different throttle control feeling. You just got to get use to how the bike handles @ different rpms @ different speeds when bringing the wheel off the ground. Just got to play around with the rpm levels and where they need to be @ different speeds before dumping the clutch.
I only bring it up in first but after a few months of Practice I can bring it up anywhere in first and ride it out to the redline, either sitting down or standups. BP @ a steady speed is what I am about now.

Have a hard @$$ time with second, can't wait my front sprocket -2 should be in today or tomorrow. I should bring it up all day after that.
A stock 600 should come up in second easy, especially if you bounce and clutch.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:23 AM

thats what some of the local stunters around here with alot of experience said. I can not get the timing of bouncing and clutching it to get it up to the bp, I can get the wheel to come off the ground about a ft or 2 for a sec and then it comes down. I can't hold it or bring it up higher, any suggestions from ones with experience. Should I drop the clutch when I start the bounce or near the end or it? and if know some mph/rpm ratios to play with.

Any advice would be greatfull
Old 09-21-2004, 06:17 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

teva is an unknown quantity at this point

You Just Have To Get Out There And Put In The Seat Time. Clutching Is Def The Best Way To Learn. When You Get Use To Your Speed And Rpms You'll Start To Find The Perfect Combo Of Gas & Clutch. It Just Takes Time And Pratice So Don't Give Up, Cause Alot Of People Started Where Your At Now.

Always Cover The Rear Brake, And Wear Your Gear.

Be Safe And Keep Trying...
Old 09-21-2004, 06:35 PM

rrmike is an unknown quantity at this point

You don't need sprockets. You don't need to learn to time a clutch/bounce. Any FI 6 will come right to the BP simply by clutching in 2nd. My little bro can do it sitting with stock gears on his f4i which is the weakest of the 6's.

The first couple standers he clutched flew up so fast it scared him.

You guys just need to practice. If you aint getting it up you are either not giving it enough gas or letting off when you dump it or leaning forward. Practice will make you more comfortable and these problems will go away with time.

Everything else is just excuses. Get out and practice. If you know someone who knows how to do it right ask a lot of questions and follow their advice.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:35 PM

I got the bike to come up tonight for the first time, what a different ride and throttle handling in 2nd gear. I just had to put being a wuse behind me and my crash a week ago behind me and I just bounce that $hit and clutched it and it came up so smooth. Later that day I was practicing and was able to get it up going 30mph. I got so siked. No I always want to bring it up to the bp in 2nd. Hopefully when I get my sprocket in I will start practicing in 3rd for the high speed wheelies.

Practice practice practice is what it takes and what everyone will tell you just like they have been.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:26 PM

20blks is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys, you don't need a sprocket. Just practice as often as you can. That's the true way.