wheelie without burning up your tire?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 02:34 AM

mgranzow is an unknown quantity at this point
wheelie without burning up your tire?

is there any way?

i've been trying to cluch up my wheelies lately, and in a couple of days i've already notices some good wear on a newer tire.

any suggestions? where can i get race take-offs?
Old 09-16-2004, 05:20 AM

rrmike is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: wheelie without burning up your tire?

Are you spinning it? I don't know why it'd wear a lot faster from doing wheelies. Mine seems ok. But then I don't really pay attention to mileage. I just replace it when it gets pretty well gone.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:16 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

-MXD- is an unknown quantity at this point

its normal for it to wear a little bit faster but it shouldnt be a huge dif. i think you are spinning your tire when you are coming up. do you run the stock dunlop on the rear? if so this is your prob. get a better tire like a pirelli, metzler m1, pilot sport, or a battlax. race takes offs can be found at any dealer.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:36 PM

Got2josh is an unknown quantity at this point

Ya, if you're spinning it before it comes up you'll kill it, take it easier.
By the way, how are old race tires? I need a new back tire pretty soon, it has over 7k on it right now. Are they fine for street? How many miles will I be able to get out of them?
Anyone who can tell me all the stuff?
Old 09-16-2004, 10:29 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

timeBOMB can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by mgranzow
is there any way?

i've been trying to cluch up my wheelies lately, and in a couple of days i've already notices some good wear on a newer tire.

Ya you must be spinnin em, I dont notice any more wear then normal.. unless I smoking a burnout.. then there seems to be some wear
Old 09-17-2004, 03:55 AM

Stunt_it_out is an unknown quantity at this point

i run race take offs and they stick pretty well for a few thousand clicks and then they start to lose their touch...i heared they can only take so many heat cycles until it starts to wear out the "stikyness" changes something in the compund of the tire...and if ur wearing ur tire fast its cause ur spinning it b 4 it comes up...try to warm up ur tires b 4 u do wheelies and that should solve the problem if not then lower ur tire pressure a bit and that will do it for sure
Old 09-17-2004, 11:56 AM
DNFstunt

Regstunts is a decent person

I find Bridgestone to be the most durrable. That tire took ALOT of burnouts and wheelies. As for why your tire is wearign fast, it could be spinning a bit, and also keep in mind when you wheelie, twice the ammount of weight is on the rear tire, so it will wear faster.

As for replacig tires, I always go to the local dealership on sundays when they are closed, and go through their pile of used stuff in the back. Theres is always at least one tire thats fresh with a small hole. A $10 plug and its fixed up! :YEAH
Old 10-11-2004, 02:33 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

INSAIN is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stunt_it_out
i run race take offs and they stick pretty well for a few thousand clicks and then they start to lose their touch...i heared they can only take so many heat cycles until it starts to wear out the "stikyness" changes something in the compund of the tire...and if ur wearing ur tire fast its cause ur spinning it b 4 it comes up...try to warm up ur tires b 4 u do wheelies and that should solve the problem if not then lower ur tire pressure a bit and that will do it for sure
Don't run Racer takeoff's.......Best advice I learned when Darius took my bike for a spin @ lakeland.........Reasoning was......the race takeoff's are rounded off too much......makes the bike less stable at slow speeds!

Wonder where DNFstar got that tip from ..haha
Old 10-11-2004, 10:43 AM

silverstunterR6 is a name known to allsilverstunterR6 is a name known to allsilverstunterR6 is a name known to allsilverstunterR6 is a name known to allsilverstunterR6 is a name known to allsilverstunterR6 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mgranzow
is there any way?

That started happening to me. I was holding the clutch in a little too much and it would "Bark" everytime i did a wheelie. Its a scary felling when your doing a one wheel burnout Your timing is important especially in first gear almost looped once. How the hell do pros catch that on the rear brake with the idle up to 4G's :YEAH
Old 10-18-2004, 01:27 AM

devin140 is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah, i always run race takeoffs, used to run slicks, but now the Dunlop 208's. and most takeoffs you'll find will only have one heat cycle on them, you can usually tell if their still kinda purple-ish
Old 10-18-2004, 01:59 AM

Cawzt3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I GOT A BRAND NEW M1 ON THE BACK OF MY 03 GSXR1000, IT HAS MAYBE 1500 MILES ON IT, AND ITS EATEN UP, IS THIS FROM RIDING HARD OR FROM JUST WHEELIES??? MY GSXR600 DIDNT EAT BACK TIRES LIKE THIS.....
Old 10-18-2004, 09:26 AM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

Get a Bridgestone for the winter. Best cold weather tires for wheelies.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:29 AM

snigg is an unknown quantity at this point

i think tires wear more from being on one wheel, although not a huge difference. all the weight of the bike on one tire will probably make it wear faster, but i dont think it is a significant difference. i run bridgestone rears
Old 10-19-2004, 08:46 PM

Nick_R6_OMC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gsxr7502001
its normal for it to wear a little bit faster but it shouldnt be a huge dif. i think you are spinning your tire when you are coming up. do you run the stock dunlop on the rear? if so this is your prob. get a better tire like a pirelli, metzler m1, pilot sport, or a battlax. race takes offs can be found at any dealer.

race takeoffs arent the greatest for wheelies tho...they are more V shaped than rounded and you'll end up fallin off to the sides everytime with a race tire...stick to M1's or pirelli....BTW the 207 is beautiful..the 208 is well the 208, i havent formed an opinion yet
Old 10-22-2004, 12:32 AM

devin140 is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah, your right about them not being as well rounded off, but i do love the 208, they stick great