Swapped to a 520 chain, any difference?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 09:03 AM

Thomcat8677 is an unknown quantity at this point
Swapped to a 520 chain, any difference?

i just ordered up a 520 conversion kit for my fat biatch (zx7r). i also got my sprockets -1 +4. i rode my buddies 7R with just a stock chain and a +3 rear and it didnt feel much different. it still came up better than my bike, but not much better. so, my question is, is this a decent setup? wat gains can i expect from the 520 chain as opposed to stock? will the gearing feel a lot different than just the +3 on my buddies? i hear that -1 in the front is like +3 in the rear, so theoretically, its like im goin up 7 in the rear right? any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:37 AM
Scrape and keep going...

not_me is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Swapped to a 520 chain, any difference?

My boy said it best when I started "do you wanna stunt or do you wanna joy ride?"

You have to determine if you will be parkin lot pimpin or cruising around with the fellas picking up chicks.

Larger sprockets give your bike more torque. It will help you slow your bike down so you can creep on one wheel.

I noticed that after my +7 in the rear, it helped my Gixxer 750 get up in third on the highway and made 2nd a little easier to lift with the clutch.

Don't think the bigger you go the easier it gets. The bike still snaps up fast.... It helps with engine braking also but learn your brakes first.

My suggestion is to lock down the faster wheelies and learn brake control....... When you start slowing them down you use the throttle to get to BP but use the rear brake to keep it there....

Basically, it all comes down to what you really want to do.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:26 AM

IMR-Merlin is a decent person

Yeah what he said ^^^^^^ Decide what you want first. Some of what you said was true. You have to look at sprockets as a gear ratio. If you are running a stock gear of 17 and 43, you have 2.529 ratio. Then going 1 down in the front is like adding 2 1/2teeth to the rear. You get this by dividing your rear (43) by your front (17). This will change when if you go larger in the rear. Like if you are +19 in the rear for instance. your front -1 changes the ration 3.647 percent. Look at in ratio form and you can get the picture.
17/43 stock combo = 2.529 final drive ratio... 16/62 my stunt set = 3.875 final drive ratio. The higher the final drive ratio, the quicker off the line or slower top speed in gear, but you'll get more torque to the ground.

Personally I would stay away from a 520 chain for a stunter. Sure they are a bit lighter and have less reciprocating mass a.k.a. a little more hp to ground, but they stretch faster and are not as durable as a 525 or 530 chain. We (stunters) are very hard on gear and chains. That's my

If anyone thinks I am wrong, please correct me. I'm on this board to learn too.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:41 AM

HurricaneF2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Flametoe
Yeah what he said ^^^^^^ Decide what you want first. Some of what you said was true. You have to look at sprockets as a gear ratio. If you are running a stock gear of 17 and 43, you have 2.529 ratio. Then going 1 down in the front is like adding 2 1/2teeth to the rear. You get this by dividing your rear (43) by your front (17). This will change when if you go larger in the rear. Like if you are +19 in the rear for instance. your front -1 changes the ration 3.647 percent. Look at in ratio form and you can get the picture.
17/43 stock combo = 2.529 final drive ratio... 16/62 my stunt set = 3.875 final drive ratio. The higher the final drive ratio, the quicker off the line or slower top speed in gear, but you'll get more torque to the ground.

Personally I would stay away from a 520 chain for a stunter. Sure they are a bit lighter and have less reciprocating mass a.k.a. a little more hp to ground, but they stretch faster and are not as durable as a 525 or 530 chain. We (stunters) are very hard on gear and chains. That's my

If anyone thinks I am wrong, please correct me. I'm on this board to learn too.
exactly what he said
Old 08-25-2004, 07:35 PM

well, basically wat im lookin for is to be able to pull my wheelies up a lil better.(i know i gotta practice, but i kind of have a handicap with my ride as it is) im not really lookin to roll slow **** right yet. my bike is more of my daily driver then my stunna. so should i stay away from the 520? im not gonna be really rocking anything too slow, more like probably 1 and 2 gear roll-ons. i just wanna wheelie easier than i can right now. can a 520 hold up under regular ridin with occasional street sessions? (i just found a sick place to practice). i guess i was under the impression that the 520 was actually stronger, but i guess not. i just recently started clutchin my bike up. i was told that if i really wanna start rippin wheelies, that i HAVE to get a 520, and gear it a bit. im all excited about doin wheelies ever since i got it up a couple times (yeah corny i know, but its all i got). so any good advice would help. oh, and the kit is already ordered and paid for, should i return it or wat?
Old 08-26-2004, 12:41 AM

speedkills is an unknown quantity at this point

dude i went through this too. i also got the same fat pig. no matter what... they suck for stunting. they can be stunted and they have been. but any 600 would be the way to go. on the bright side the 7 holds up great when droped. it also has a really high balence point so it help build confedence without feeling like ur gonna toss it or actually toss it. endos are great. but about gearing it takes alot. i screwed around with mine a little. i went down one in the front i still cant touch 2nd but first is alot easier. it also tops out at 145 now. id say 7 atleast if ur thinking about 2nd gear.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:47 AM
I Chose to No Longer Post

darkphiber is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to a 520 and -1 / +4 in sprockets and I hammer the crap outta it and its held up fine. **** i still have the clip master link too *gasp* soon as i get a rivet tool i will change that. but for my 929 honda 520 is working great.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:50 AM
Lb3

Lb3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I always rock the 520. People say that the 520 chains are gonna be weaker than the stock 525 or 530 but that's not always true. If you go with a good chain like the RK 520 GXW chain you will end up with a lighter stronger than stock chain. For stunting, theres not really that much of a noticable difference. I run the RK GXW chains just cause I get a good deal on them though.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:52 AM
I Chose to No Longer Post

darkphiber is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lb3
I always rock the 520. People say that the 520 chains are gonna be weaker than the stock 525 or 530 but that's not always true. If you go with a good chain like the RK 520 GXW chain you will end up with a lighter stronger than stock chain. For stunting, theres not really that much of a noticable difference. I run the RK GXW chains just cause I get a good deal on them though.

Yea thats mine RK been very happy with it. Anyone know where I can get a chain rivet tool at?
Old 08-26-2004, 01:29 AM

KawZX7R is an unknown quantity at this point

I got a ZX7R to and im down 1 in the front and i can get it up 3 to 5 feet im getting my rear sprocket tommorow, i went up 2 in the rear, i just want to make the wheelies a little easer to get up, im sure i could get the bike up alot higher but i got some fear in the back of my head lol im sure every one has at one point
Old 08-26-2004, 03:14 PM

well, i guess im goin to try the -1 +4 setup, since i paid for it already and all. i dont really mind losin a bit of top speed, cuz really, i cant think of anywhere that im gonna go over 140+ or so.(how much top end do think i'll lose?) i would rather have better wheelies. straight and fast is cool, but up on one is cooler. thanks alot for all the info, ill post when i get the setup together and tell you guys what i think. oh yeah, one more thing, my speedo will be off quite a bit, right?