Saving slow wheelies

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 02:29 AM
Old School

Ice Mike is an unknown quantity at this point
Saving slow wheelies

I've been practicing slow stand-ups daily until I sprained my ankle the other night. I've been picking it up really quick. My main problem is that every once in a while I will bring it up a bit too hard at too slow of a speed and have to fight the engine from dragging the 12 bar until it dies. I started grabbing the clutch when this happens, and it seems to bring the bike down even harder than killing it at 12. That's how I strained my ankle, the bike fell down to the side, and I rolled my ankle trying to catch it. Anybody got any advice on how to save a slow wheelie? I tried stepping off once, but I accidentally didn't grab the clutch, and my bike ran away from me at 4,000 rpms. It sucked to watch the bike, but thankfully I got it on film.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:04 AM

GsxrMike is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Re: Saving slow wheelies

Originally Posted by Ice Mike
I've been practicing slow stand-ups daily until I sprained my ankle the other night. I've been picking it up really quick. My main problem is that every once in a while I will bring it up a bit too hard at too slow of a speed and have to fight the engine from dragging the 12 bar until it dies. I started grabbing the clutch when this happens, and it seems to bring the bike down even harder than killing it at 12. That's how I strained my ankle, the bike fell down to the side, and I rolled my ankle trying to catch it. Anybody got any advice on how to save a slow wheelie? I tried stepping off once, but I accidentally didn't grab the clutch, and my bike ran away from me at 4,000 rpms. It sucked to watch the bike, but thankfully I got it on film.
Do stuff with no idle, or gear your bike up more...
Old 08-16-2004, 06:26 PM
Old School

Ice Mike is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Saving slow wheelies

I'm runnin' 20 up in the rear, I'll try dropping the idle to 3,000 or so and see how that works.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Ice Mike
I'm runnin' 20 up in the rear, I'll try dropping the idle to 3,000 or so and see how that works.
Maybe try to let your wheelie coast a little and use less brake, that way your motors not stalling...
Old 08-16-2004, 09:05 PM

Got2josh is an unknown quantity at this point

I probably sound like an idiot saying this, but wouldn't a tap-tap on the rear brake bring the sucker forward?
Old 08-16-2004, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Got2josh
I probably sound like an idiot saying this, but wouldn't a tap-tap on the rear brake bring the sucker forward?
yep...
Old 08-16-2004, 11:27 PM
wheres all the fat girls

martino is a decent person

what kind of idle are you supposed to use for slow wheelies?
im 26+ and im using 1500rpm. if I jack up my idle, will I loose all that engine brake?

the skill level that I'm at right now is that i dont modulate the rear brake during the wheelie, i just une engine brake to slow my **** down. im still really jerky. i guess I gotta learn to control the wheelie with the brake and then jack up my idle?
Old 08-17-2004, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by martino
what kind of idle are you supposed to use for slow wheelies?
im 26+ and im using 1500rpm. if I jack up my idle, will I loose all that engine brake?

the skill level that I'm at right now is that i dont modulate the rear brake during the wheelie, i just une engine brake to slow my **** down. im still really jerky. i guess I gotta learn to control the wheelie with the brake and then jack up my idle?
Learn with no idle thats the best way, you dont need an idle untill your ready to take hands off, and then the most common idle is prob 3500...