how to cut your stock muffler? help...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 11:26 PM

el nino is an unknown quantity at this point
how to cut your stock muffler? help...

ok, so im starting to learn 1st gear clutch ups, powers cage and scotst damper are on eth way so this week ill be ever more serious.

ANYWAYS, i wanna cut the stock muffler and make it a shorty. why? cause the day i hit my muffler as is now, ill be pissed cause i knwo a friend just went down today busting a 12.... well teh pipe he has is an erion and its tsill not a shorty, went down and cracked the motor.

i want to avoid this crap as much as posisble, i know imma fall but i dont wanan spend money on a muffler.

how do you do it? how loud will it be?

i like teh stock muffler, its a nice and big so it protects

just let me know how to cut it and make it nic and sealed up. i figure just cut, and i will TIg weld it up, but just wanan knwo any tips thanks in advance
Old 08-04-2004, 12:50 AM

catach42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: how to cut your stock muffler? help...

we just cut my friends f4i pipe. we cut the end cap off about 1/4 inch to the right of the weld, then cut off about 3 inches from the can (not the inner pipe) then we drilled the inner pipe out of the end cap and slid the end cap over the inner pipe that was left stickin out of the can. then we bent the inner core down to make the end cap line up with the can, cut the inner pipe so it looks stock and welded the end cap back on. the bike isnt much louder but has a deeper tone to it. on the 954 it looks like u could just drill out the rivets on the end cap and then drill new holes and rivet it back on rather than cutting it off and welding it on. good luck
Old 08-04-2004, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by catach42
we just cut my friends f4i pipe. we cut the end cap off about 1/4 inch to the right of the weld, then cut off about 3 inches from the can (not the inner pipe) then we drilled the inner pipe out of the end cap and slid the end cap over the inner pipe that was left stickin out of the can. then we bent the inner core down to make the end cap line up with the can, cut the inner pipe so it looks stock and welded the end cap back on. the bike isnt much louder but has a deeper tone to it. on the 954 it looks like u could just drill out the rivets on the end cap and then drill new holes and rivet it back on rather than cutting it off and welding it on. good luck

thanks man, i know its gonna be louder, which is what i wnat a TINY bit, i want some tone to teh bike, but also i mainly just dont wanna hit my muffler oen day and have a possible 12 ruined , i know its far form here but still, just gonan do it now to have it ready and get some noise too :YEAH

i figured id drill out teh rivets, take it aprt and figure the rest outgonna take like 1/3 off, or like 6" or so.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:26 PM

u cant take that much off...inside the can(atleast on an f4i) there is (if you were to cut off the end cap and look inside the can) 3 pipes u can see plus the can. the exhaust comes out of the two lower pipes, hits the end cap (sealed to the inner pipe that sticks out), goes back into baffle thru two holes above the two pipes where the exhaust comes out and then it comes out of the end cap. confused yet? well if u followed that...the two pipes where the exhaust originally comes from are shorter than the pipe that comes out the end cap. this leaves a space (used for the exhaust gases to flow back into the two holes then out) we cut this space down to about an inch or two on the f4i, but if u were to eliminate this space completely u would have a staight open pipe...loud
Old 08-04-2004, 09:22 PM

f4istunna is an unknown quantity at this point

i cut mine with a chop saw then cut the end cap like a quarter inch from the weld like said above. i noticed the 3 pipe thoing and exhaust only come outta 1 of em will it be ok if i just line the end cap up i cut thru the whole thing. I think exhaust will flow out cuz of the pressure i just dont wanna be burnin up valves or anything.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:57 PM

if i understand wat u mean then ya u can just line up the top inner pipe inside the end cap. u have to drill the end cap out with a hole saw tho
Old 08-05-2004, 02:11 AM

ill start with busting open the rivets, i can figure it out, any more tips would be dope, thanks fellas :YEAH
Old 08-05-2004, 12:30 PM
bam

bam is an unknown quantity at this point

Its easy ....takes about 30min..

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Old 08-05-2004, 10:17 PM

GSE_Anthony is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bam
Its easy ....takes about 30min..

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Great, it's easy, how about some advise on how you did it so short.

I was experimenting last week and cut a stock can open but went straight through it, I cut it at the same distance back from the mount point toward the rear as there is from the mount point toward the front of the can. Now I have all those pipes in there and no way to reweld the end cap and also use those pipes the way they should be routed. I wish I had known better what the inside looked like before hand but oh well. I want to keep the bike quiet so any advise would be helpful. I attached pictures of what I did so far.
Thanks.

Any other pics of that can Bam?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mvc-028s.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	91750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mvc-029s.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	91751   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mvc-030s.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	91752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mvc-031s.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	91753  
Old 08-06-2004, 02:18 AM

anthony, BIG ups for those pics man, you rule

now... in the top middle pic.... do those 4 pipes just end and all flow out into teh muffler, and out of the 1 pipe? im trying to study these pics a bit more of not how to make a mistake like you did. shoudl i just cut around teh muffler?
Old 08-06-2004, 08:09 AM

GSE_Anthony is an unknown quantity at this point

All of the pipes were longer than that. The one at the top runs all the way through and was connected to the rear and out the back, the other ones were longer and there are now a couple 2-3 inch pieces laying on the garage floor. So no, I didn't just happen to cut it at the end of those pipes, I cut them off when I made the cut.
The exhaust I think travels into the back of the can from one of those tubes and into the rear open part of the canister, then travels through 2 more of them, through a baffle and into a forward part of the canister, then finally through the last pipe at the top, through the baffle again and out the back.
This is why a stock can is so quiet. An aftermarket is usually a straight tube from the front to the rear wrapped in packing, at least everyone of them I repacked was, much easier design to modify. They are also easier to deal with because of the rivets and the ability to just rivet the end cap back on. I wan't to retain some or most of the quietness of the stock exhaust so I am trying this experiment on an extra can I have, picked it up for $5! I have a welder than can reweld this back together but right now I am perplexed as to what to cut next to be able to keep the original baffle and tubes intact. Looking at the top pic, if I take about 4 inches off the rear section and reweld that last 2-3 inches back on to the frint, it may be my best bet. Still I am not sure how to reattach that one pipe that runs through and out the back end. (I am ususally really good at this types of problems!)
Hopefully someone that has a very shortene stock looking canister, like Bam, can answer that, since it was obviously no trouble for them.
Also if you did this with a stock can, how much louder is it? If Bam's sounds like a D&D or something, then this is not the route I am looking to go. If it is louder than stock but just a little, this it what I am trying to achieve.
The quieter I am the less people will complain at the spots I practice at and the longer I will be able to get away with it.
Thanks all! :YEAH

Last edited by GSE_Anthony; 08-06-2004 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:11 AM

tt_four is an unknown quantity at this point

i cut up a zx6r can for my bike, it had the 4 pipes inside like that one, but i took a couples hours with the hacksaw and some jb weld, tore the insides apart, so it was nothing but the one straight inside pipe, and didn't have to go back and forth, it was real loud, and sounded exactly like a honda civic, and eventaully all the jb weld deteriated, the baffle started to spin upside down, and i ended up throwing it out and putting on a d&d i found at the bike salvage yard, so if you really want a short pipe, i'd say find a cheap beat up and dented race can, and cut that, because the stock ones have too much to mess with, and probably won't sound good when it's done, my friend used to have a cut yoshimura on his gsxr and it sounded awesome