Steering dampeners

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 02:20 AM

CrazyCramer is an unknown quantity at this point
Steering dampeners

I know steering dampeners are good for tankslap and endos. But could someone tell me if they help with no handed tricks? Such as switchbacks, tank stands, skitchin, headstands, etc.
Old 01-20-2003, 10:05 AM

Rocket_Man is an unknown quantity at this point
I've never tried any of those tricks yet. but I'll bet that a dampener wouldnt hurt.
Old 01-22-2003, 02:11 AM

I'm sure everyone that has an adjustable steering dampener has NEVER taken their hands off the handlebars. That would be DANGEROUS. Come on. It's not like I'm asking how stable it is while doing a backflip off the bike. And I know you want to hurry up and check the chic pics for new pictures, but take a minute and throw up info.
Old 01-23-2003, 12:01 AM

smb123 is an unknown quantity at this point
It's a damper, buddy, not dampener. I know dampener might make sense, but that's not the right term.

I don't really do acrobatic tricks.. ****, I don't even have a damper.

But let me throw out some knowledge. A good damper will slow front wheel movement when a hard, fast force is exerted on it. When a slow force is exerted, such as just regular parking lot manuevering, there shouldn't be much effect (note: I said good damper). The amount of front wheel movement you would see with the above listed tricks probably won't be enough to dampen anything. You'll most likely have to learn to steer with body english.
Old 01-23-2003, 03:54 AM

My bad, you're right..............damper. I'm talking about adjustable dampers. My buddie had one. With it cranked all the way up, you could barely turn the wheel. My reason for the question is this: I do tankstands, switchbacks, and skitching in second gear. The bike is more stable at higher speeds. I've tried these in first gear, but the bike becomes wobbly at slower speeds (not a pleasant feeling when your riding backwards). Will tightening up the front end make the bike more stable, or make it worse?
Old 01-23-2003, 02:02 PM

Well, obviously the bike will be less stable at lower speeds...

It sounds like the best damper for you is a Scotts. They are pricey, but have what you want. You adjust the entire damping range on the fly.. when you want to do your low speed acrobatics, you adjust the low speed damping and damping angles to what you like. When you want to ride normally, you adjust it back.
Old 01-23-2003, 08:51 PM

Chris SSB is an unknown quantity at this point
I have not done any of those tricks either, but I could see where a damper might help. It will make the bike go straight.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:08 AM

Can anyone answer my question without speculating?
Old 01-24-2003, 02:19 AM

Reds929 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey bro, I've got a scotts on my 929, cranked all the way up all the time. Yeah it helps alot. ALOT. If you can score one then do it! Its hard to get used to at first, but after you do get used to it you'll be fucked when you ride a bike without it.
Old 01-24-2003, 04:28 AM

If your reply refers to no hands, low speed stability, then I appreciate your response, Reds929.
Old 01-24-2003, 11:42 AM

No problem bro. Yeah, its easier to control at slower speeds. Also no speed wobble at all. I've landed with the wheel unitentionaly turned full right once and it just straighted up, no wobble at all.
The scotts damper is high, but I'll never ride without one again.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:26 PM

Chris SSB is an unknown quantity at this point
You can't get a straight answer because not many people are climbing all over there bike while it is rolling on both wheels. I can only speculate because I have done stunts with a damper, but not the stunts you ask about.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:15 PM

Aight, maybe I wasn't clear on it. You can do all the handstands, christs, skitchin or anything else you wanna do just short of ghostin the damn bike and it will stay straight as long as you have it cranked up.... Is that better?
Old 01-25-2003, 02:06 AM

Hey Reds, I understood the first time, but the last statement left no doubt in my mind. Thanks. Now I gotta find a damper. I've discovered that not all manufacturers make one for the TLS. Scotts and Hyperpro look nice, but they're pricey. Anyone know of any others (adjustable of course)? I'm a broke bastard, so the cheaper the better.

P.S. I'm talking about ones that'll fit a TLS. Thanks
Old 01-25-2003, 09:22 PM

The reason you would want the Scotts, and as Red mentioned, is because it is adjustable at ALL steering input levels. Most only react when a quick steering input (i.e. tankslapper) is given. This is why it would work well for what you want to do. I imagine that when you're climbing around on your bike, the 'steering input' would be subtle, and thus not really counteracted by the damper if it is not setup to respond to slow input.

However, I don't know how much the damper is going to help when much of your steering input won't be from your hands, but from your weight on different sides of the bike.