question about wheelies on my bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 03:51 AM

Kledsky is an unknown quantity at this point
Question question about wheelies on my bike

Hey im new to the forums so just wanna say hi to everyone first.

My question is that I have a '02 Ninja 500 (stay with me plz!) wich i got for a real nice deal (yes i know its not a good stunt bike!). I am very comfortable with it now but can only ride wheelies for a little while, and can't seem to get going farther because I run out of rev range. The BP is only this little area up there because i start so slow and its just such a bitch to hold and usually scary as hell because i almost tip. I noticed that when i move in real close to the bike, i can hold it a little longer but thats probably just cuz I got more balance to keep the BP.

My question is if i should just get going faster than 10 to 15 and and rev higher so the balancing point isn't so high? The only problem with this is that when i let out the clutch going faster and at a higher rev it cracks real hard and usually is a very jurky ride up and isn't much higher than usual. But this could just be because I'm not used to it and need to get some clutch control so its smoother. Whoever out there wheelied the ninja 250 for awhile plz respond! Like should I just stick to doin the slow ups at 10 to 15 and just try and get them down better to ride the BP longer? It just feels like the BP is near 12' most of the time and If i get get it any lower and still have some nice control I'd be awesome.

My buddy can ride out wheelies on his '74 CB350 (were all poooooor guys saving for good bikes haha) for a real long while but I think thats cuz he can stand on the back pegs because there level with the front to hold a higher wheelie. I try popping a wheelie up on my back pegs and its feels real quirky and wierd cuz my knees are all bent and im leaning so far forward. This totally doesn't feel right at all but if someone out there has done them and can ride the wheelie long on them plz let me know.

I'm just trying to find the best route to go to ride out a wheelie longest on a bike like mine.

Thanks to all those who read the long post!
Old 07-18-2004, 11:26 AM

HurricaneF2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: question about wheelies on my bike

my first bike was a 94 ex500, i ended up going +3 and could wheely 3rd from about 35 or so. you have to bounce it hard and clutch it. youre know where near 12 it just feels like it. just keep practicing. going slow is harder to balance than it is going fast so once you learn to do em around 15-20 in 1st, it will get easier.

if you lean in closer, the balance point will be higher. lean back and you wont need to get it as high. youre only at bp if youre not accelerating though
Old 07-18-2004, 12:59 PM

92SHINE is an unknown quantity at this point

Try clutching the bike up in first then click second gear as soon as you hit the balance point. Doing that will keep your rpms down so that you can ride a nice and smooth balanced wheelie. I will say that it is easier to do that sitting down then it is standing up. That is how I do it on my DR650 and it works every time for me.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:15 AM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

ninjas tend to have BP at 1:30am.. not 12..thats why the tails are so short
Old 07-19-2004, 12:53 PM

GsxrMike is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Re: question about wheelies on my bike

Learn your rear brake, and then youlll be able to ride wheelies at whichever time on the clock u want...