standup question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 03:39 AM

mekrew is an unknown quantity at this point
standup question

a friend of mine is working on standups on his r6 and he just wanted me to ask whats the proper hand position on the throttle cause he said the way hes doing it hes getting too much gas and almost looping.

thx
:YEAH
Old 07-16-2004, 03:50 AM

GsxrMike is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Re: standup question

tell him to grab the throttle farther back than hes doing it so he will give it less gas....
Old 07-16-2004, 05:05 AM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all
Re: standup question

just tell him to stay away from BP.. ride out wheelies a foot high thru the entire gear, then learn to get it higher n higher
Old 07-16-2004, 05:24 AM

O-TownHoNdA is a decent person

you need to get a "comfortable" grip try an keep your arm and rist straight, in other words there is no need to reach around for a handfull of gas. chances are youre just going to fu*k yourself up doin that.... oh and when you start getting it kinda high try to cover the brake (just in case).. GL
Old 07-16-2004, 10:31 AM
Dax

Dax is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Greg, who's trying stand-ups??? They are, as well as yourself, always
welcome to come out and practice at my secret spot. It is an asphalt road
and not traveled much at all on the weekends.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:23 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

teva is an unknown quantity at this point

Put Left Leg On The Rear Peg, And Your Right Foot On The Front Peg [to Cover The Rear Brake]. That Way When Your Up Your Body Position Is Almost Upright. For Me That Gives Me A Better Feel For Where The Bike Is[just Infront Of Bp Or Behind It Etc...] When Your Up In That Position You Don't Have To Pull On The Bars Asmuch, Because Your The Most Of Your Weight Is On Your Legs, That Way Your Not Pulling With Your Upperbody And [rolling On The Gas When You Pull It Back]. Just Tell Him To Keep Practicing, Little By Little He'll Get There. Be Safe And Cover The Rear Brake.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:44 PM

e-roc is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the opposite problem. As the bike comes up my wrist bends causing me to roll of the throttle. What am I doing wrong? What can I do to prevent this?

While we are on the subject of learning standups, what do you guys do as far as positioning your feet? Do you start off with your knees locked(legs straight), or do you have them bent and as it comes up you then stand up straight?
Old 07-16-2004, 06:13 PM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

if i were you, sounds like u can get third gear to come up... and its alot slower riseing.. so skip secound gear and try third, till u get comfy with throttle control
Old 07-16-2004, 09:45 PM

rrmike is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by whiteline
I have the opposite problem. As the bike comes up my wrist bends causing me to roll of the throttle. What am I doing wrong? What can I do to prevent this?

While we are on the subject of learning standups, what do you guys do as far as positioning your feet? Do you start off with your knees locked(legs straight), or do you have them bent and as it comes up you then stand up straight?
I haven't ever had the problem with giving too much gas from pulling on the bars but have had the one you have. I get a nice high grip on the throttle when I stand up before I bring the bike up. I don't have any problem with having enough once I get up. Sometimes toward the end of the day I start getting lazy and don't get them up quick and I have to remind myself to re-grip after I stand. That's the problem every time.

I wouldn't recommend trying third. Lots of wind and little compression braking if you fail to get the back brake. Plus you'll be doing 100+ before you know it and you don't wanna get off at that kind of speed if something does go wrong.

I used to try them once in a while but have read on this board that it's not a good idea and after thinking about the first two points I just made I have to agree. But it's your decision of course
Old 07-17-2004, 08:47 PM

kxrider is an unknown quantity at this point

tell him to come to lake charles to learn