Katana Wheelies and stuff

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 02:12 PM

Got2josh is an unknown quantity at this point
Katana Wheelies and stuff

I've been riding since april and just started trying to clutch my 2001 Katana 600 up today. I just got back from a parking lot and was able to bring it up a little bit (the posts on how to wheelie were a ton of help) but probably only a few inches. I'm going in first gear at 3k RPM, around 12-13 or so, then pulling in the clutch and bringing it up to about 9k and dropping it (the clutch). I know it's a 600 can-o-tuna, so I don't expect it to come up as easy as a gsxr600 or anything, but I thought that it would come up a lot more than it is at 9k. It redlines at 11 by the way. Stock gearing though, should I invest in getting a bigger rear sprocket?
If anyone has any expirience with kats I'd love your input. Also, what does it take with whatever you ride to bring it up in first? Thanks.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:15 PM

03silvers is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Katana Wheelies and stuff

you probably arent opening the throttle enough.,..next time make sure u go 3/4 throttle and hold it there when u dump the clutch...(dont just rev it and dump it) you need to stay on the gas
Old 07-07-2004, 02:26 PM
Lb3

Lb3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Katanas are hard to wheelie. Get crazy gears or a new bike. Seriously. That is not a good bike to stunt. You'd have better luck stunting a harley. They have what a good 60 HP and weigh 600 pounds?
Old 07-07-2004, 05:02 PM

03 Silvers, I think that's probably my problem, I'm just getting it up to the RPM level and letting way off the gas once I'm there, thanks.
Actually, it's about 80 Hp and only weighs a measly 450 or so. I am looking into getting a Gsxr750 or a Zx7r sometime over the winter though.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:09 PM
FHL
I Chose to No Longer Post

FHL is a decent person

Haha.... Yeah Katanas suck for wheelies! Just wait until you get that ZX-7R and see how easy it is!
Old 07-07-2004, 09:40 PM

01gsxstunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Got2josh
I've been riding since april and just started trying to clutch my 2001 Katana 600 up today. I just got back from a parking lot and was able to bring it up a little bit (the posts on how to wheelie were a ton of help) but probably only a few inches. I'm going in first gear at 3k RPM, around 12-13 or so, then pulling in the clutch and bringing it up to about 9k and dropping it (the clutch). I know it's a 600 can-o-tuna, so I don't expect it to come up as easy as a gsxr600 or anything, but I thought that it would come up a lot more than it is at 9k. It redlines at 11 by the way. Stock gearing though, should I invest in getting a bigger rear sprocket?
If anyone has any expirience with kats I'd love your input. Also, what does it take with whatever you ride to bring it up in first? Thanks.
hey, man, i have an 01 can-o-tuna, and plenty of people have told me that you cant stunt them. but there wrong. if you can stunt a katana you can stunt all the sport bikes with ease. try getting used to bringing the bike up on its own power in 1st instead of clutching it. start about 5k rpms stand up on front pegs, lean weight to back(almost huntched over) bounce down on the front end(do not pull up on bars! could cause you to loose control) then let off throttle and VERY quickly get back on it. if you do it right it will come right up at least 2-3 feet. thats how i learned to do wheelies in first. i am now trying to learn how to get the bike up in second. i will have pics of my bike on here soon, i have some custom body work done so it looks a little different. try jetting the carbs, changing to a k&n filter, and get a D&D show and go chrome slip on. they sound wicked and there only $250. also if you change sprokets the bike will come up no prob in second and especially first. go down 2 in the front and up to a 52tooth sproket in rear. (top speed 85mph) if you only do a 50tooth sproket around 100mph top speed. good luck and happy stunting. :YEAH
Old 07-07-2004, 09:57 PM
Lb3

Lb3 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can stunt a table chair if you want. Nobody said it can't be done, it just sucks. Try a real sportbike and you will understand. If the kats all you have and you can't get another bike the go for it. It's just not the right tool for the job, thats all. And I know.. my first bike was an 01 katana.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:16 PM

stunter, that's like, exactly the kind of advise I've been looking for. Awesomeness! I've been thinking about getting the K&N, about how much are they and how much of a difference do they make to your performance and sound?
I understand about how to bounce it up, and I tried a few times to power it up but to no avail, but what did you mean by "lean weight to back(almost hunched over) bounce down on the front end"
Like, squating over the back seat almost, and then do youy bounce down on the whole bike or just the front?
It's so cool noing there is actually someone else who's wheelying Kats, now I know it's possible!
Old 07-08-2004, 12:02 AM
ags

ags is an unknown quantity at this point

forget the katana.....learn on the gs. Ive got a 95 gs500...its all i got so im going to do what i can with it. Hopefully -2 +10 will be enough to get me started.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:28 AM

ha, I have a 86 gs550es sitting in my backyard with a tarp over it, I'm thinking of cleaning it up though and just using it as a stunt bike, or just something to wail on. However, if you're in the area and want it, take it away from me
Old 07-08-2004, 01:27 PM

stunter, that's like, exactly the kind of advise I've been looking for. Awesomeness! I've been thinking about getting the K&N, about how much are they and how much of a difference do they make to your performance and sound?
I understand about how to bounce it up, and I tried a few times to power it up but to no avail, but what did you mean by "lean weight to back(almost hunched over) bounce down on the front end"
Like, squating over the back seat almost, and then do youy bounce down on the whole bike or just the front?
It's so cool noing there is actually someone else who's wheelying Kats, now I know it's possible!
what i meant bye hunched over is to try and focus most of your weight over the rear so that when you bounce down on the front, it becomes lighter and easier to get up. hey, dont let the sport guys **** you off, they are just mad b/c they have faster bikes w/ more power that are lighter, and they are having trouble stunting them! lol
Old 07-09-2004, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by 01gsxstunter
what i meant bye hunched over is to try and focus most of your weight over the rear so that when you bounce down on the front, it becomes lighter and easier to get up. hey, dont let the sport guys **** you off, they are just mad b/c they have faster bikes w/ more power that are lighter, and they are having trouble stunting them! lol
Haha, thanks bro, and I love whay you said about how if you can learn to stunt a Katana you can stunt anything, that's really given me hope for the future. By the way, I've been trying endos a little bit lately with no luck, I've read all the posts on how to endo and stuff and make sure I "squeeze" the lever, do it on warm days, concrete, but all I end up doing is juststopping really fast or locking up the front wheel.
Have you any tips for me from your expirences getting the back wheel in the air?
Old 07-09-2004, 09:36 PM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

yeah after riding my 89 ninja zx6 for three months. i hopped on a ****ing 04 gsxr one.. 20 minutes later i was doing mile long stands holding speed. not accelerating at all, and rocking back n forth in balence point. im kinda mad i rode a gsxr 1 now i thought all these kids on litre bikes were the **** cause they could do stand ups for years... ***** easier then eating chocolate cake. and the funny thing is, i know kids on litre bikes that are worse then me on my ****in ninja, im so glad i started out with a **** box... my bike is great for transportation, but worse thing for stunting. tranny is gear'd like ****. power is a whole 65hp stock.. so my secound gear stand ups were pretty lame because my balance point is ****ing 1am but its cool, wheelie that katana like its going to break tomorrow and ur not going to get to ride ever again, cause once ur good or decent on that bike, get a litre bike and you'll be pro
Old 07-09-2004, 09:38 PM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

oh and for stoppies, lean forward, look straight ahead, grip gas tank with ur knees and compress them forks.. and if worse comes to worse, get a bad *** front tire
Old 07-10-2004, 06:27 PM

Haha, thanks bro, and I love whay you said about how if you can learn to stunt a Katana you can stunt anything, that's really given me hope for the future. By the way, I've been trying endos a little bit lately with no luck, I've read all the posts on how to endo and stuff and make sure I "squeeze" the lever, do it on warm days, concrete, but all I end up doing is juststopping really fast or locking up the front wheel.
Have you any tips for me from your expirences getting the back wheel in the air?
yeah man, well, you need to be doing at least 35mph, and really i learned to do them about 1month ago, and i am really good at them now. get up to about 35mph, then just gradually lock up the front brake(make sure the front tire is warm, maybe ride around for about 10mins or so) tighten your legs up on the tank, keep looking forward and lean your weight forward, as you feel the back come up try not to get scared and gradually let off the front brake so that you can start to roll forward when you start to slow down lean back or lock front brake and grab clutch when back tire falls. hope that helps you out, i am lucky i have not hurt myself doing this, but i have dropped the bike when i come down and the landing is too rough, hope you have strong legs to catch it when it comes down, remember its heavy and long so when it comes up be careful.
happy stunting. lemme know if that works for you.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:22 AM

headache is an unknown quantity at this point

go -1 +2 on the gearing and that bike will come right up no problem. And be smooth with the clutch when you pop it, so the back tire won't spin instead of wheeling! My katana is geared -1 +10 and it will clutch up in 2nd no problem,and then you can shift to 3rd and just keep on goin!!! Top speed is only about 110 though.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:34 PM

I'm thinking of upping the back sprocket a few teeth, what would it be like going +10 in the back and leaving the front alone? Also, can I just change the sprocket and leave the front and the chain? How much does one cost?
Old 07-13-2004, 02:39 AM
I Chose to No Longer Post

nicknorth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lb3
You can stunt a table chair if you want. Nobody said it can't be done, it just sucks. Try a real sportbike and you will understand. If the kats all you have and you can't get another bike the go for it. It's just not the right tool for the job, thats all. And I know.. my first bike was an 01 katana.
Excatly!! I had a Kan-o-Tuna for my first bike. Then I went to a CBR600. They're not sport bikes. They should have a CB radio and side cart.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:00 AM

headache is an unknown quantity at this point

I had to add 4 links to the chain to get the big sprocket on there. Rear sprockets run about $50. I wouldn't recommend that big of a sprocket unless you are wanting to do 12's and slow wheelies cause it makes 1st gear basically useless otherwise.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:41 PM

b_faulk75 is an unknown quantity at this point

:YEAH
Originally Posted by Lb3
Katanas are hard to wheelie. Get crazy gears or a new bike. Seriously. That is not a good bike to stunt. You'd have better luck stunting a harley. They have what a good 60 HP and weigh 600 pounds?

Quick Reply: Katana Wheelies and stuff