Best Gearing for circles?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 04:18 AM
HoOk

J-Hook is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Best Gearing for circles?

Originally Posted by E-DUB OM
when you go down in the front the counter shaft spins faster and puts a lot more stress on the motor. If you just run all your gearing in the back its a smoother power due to the counter shaft not spinning as fast.

If you dont wanna be going through motors youll be smart and run all the gear in the rear
Gear in the rear..... i wish i woulda known that before i blew my motor....

Oh well, you live, you learn!
Old 07-16-2004, 04:27 AM

nwstuntbike is an unknown quantity at this point

this thread is hurting my brain i just went down 1 in the front and +4 in the rear and also went to a 520 chizzain courtasy of vortex just the one tooth down angled the chain way down and has almost ate threw the chain guides just runing it on the stands so i agree running all the gear in the back is probly best
Old 07-16-2004, 04:42 AM
Lb3

Lb3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by E-DUB OM
when you go down in the front the counter shaft spins faster and puts a lot more stress on the motor. If you just run all your gearing in the back its a smoother power due to the counter shaft not spinning as fast.

If you dont wanna be going through motors youll be smart and run all the gear in the rear
I mean no disrespect and dont want to start a big arguement but I dont believe that. When you are cruising at a given rpm in a given gear the drive shaft always spins the same speed no matter what sprocket size you have on there. You cannot change the output of the engine with sprockets... only the rear wheel speed. Now if you are talking about rear wheel speed, then yes, a smaller front will make the drive shaft spin faster at a given rear wheel speed than it would with stock gearing... thats why you lose top end by gearing your **** out... however, increasing the size of the rear has the same effect. Physics guys chime in.

For example... A 13 tooth front sprocket cannot make the drive shaft spin any faster than it does with stock gearing in first gear at 3000 RPMs. That is why gearing down makes your bike slower at a given rpm than it does with stock gearing.

The only way engine damage could occur due to the drive shaft being made to spin faster caused by dropping teeth in the front (in my mind) is if you are talking about rear wheel speed.. actual miles per hour.. and that is just because you are reving your **** out at higher rpms with modified gearing than you would be going the same speed with stock gears.. and the same also applies to adding teeth to the rear.

comments? I am not saying I am right and somebody is wrong.. Thats just how I understand it. If I am wrong break it down for me. I have this same arguement going with some friends. I think I have had too much coffee at 4 in the morning.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:58 AM

Calan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tdatreefrog
btw ,

the reason they don't make front sprockets smaller than a couple teeth down is because it makes the angle at which the chain has to bend and travel around the sprocket too tight and puts stress on the chain.
That's right, it also increases the tension on the top half of the chain, stretching it easier (and breaking it sooner). I know all about this, I got cheap and got a 4 down front (12 teeth!) instead of a larger rear like I should have and I go through chains like there is no tomorrow. So why don't I get a larger rear instead? Because I am STUPID.

The exact ratio of how many teeth in front equals how many teeth in back depends on how many you currently have. Just divide them, 45/12 in my case... that's 3.75.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:50 PM
It Ain't Easy Bein Cheesy

Dano is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lb3
I mean no disrespect and dont want to start a big arguement but I dont believe that. When you are cruising at a given rpm in a given gear the drive shaft always spins the same speed no matter what sprocket size you have on there. You cannot change the output of the engine with sprockets... only the rear wheel speed. Now if you are talking about rear wheel speed, then yes, a smaller front will make the drive shaft spin faster at a given rear wheel speed than it would with stock gearing... thats why you lose top end by gearing your **** out... however, increasing the size of the rear has the same effect. Physics guys chime in.

For example... A 13 tooth front sprocket cannot make the drive shaft spin any faster than it does with stock gearing in first gear at 3000 RPMs. That is why gearing down makes your bike slower at a given rpm than it does with stock gearing.

The only way engine damage could occur due to the drive shaft being made to spin faster caused by dropping teeth in the front (in my mind) is if you are talking about rear wheel speed.. actual miles per hour.. and that is just because you are reving your **** out at higher rpms with modified gearing than you would be going the same speed with stock gears.. and the same also applies to adding teeth to the rear.

comments? I am not saying I am right and somebody is wrong.. Thats just how I understand it. If I am wrong break it down for me. I have this same arguement going with some friends. I think I have had too much coffee at 4 in the morning.

im with lb3 on this one. thats how i understand it. puttin a smaller front on will speed up the counter shaft, but putting a bigger rear does the same thing. all that should really matter is the ratio. i have a -2 +12right now and my counter spin's slower than when i had stock front /66 rear.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:14 PM

f4rider is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lb3

I agree with you until the third paragraph. Small front sprockets do put more stress on the drive shaft.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:27 PM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

Fat Mother ****ers That i See riding Katanas n **** put stress on drive shafts...
Old 07-16-2004, 11:36 PM

RUSH. is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lb3

You are absolutely right.
Old 07-17-2004, 02:09 AM
Lb3

Originally Posted by f4rider
I agree with you until the third paragraph. Small front sprockets do put more stress on the drive shaft.
SO DO BIG *** REAR SPROCKETS! hehehe.. its all the same.
Old 07-17-2004, 12:41 PM

f4rider is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lb3
It's not all the same. And it has nothing to do with the speed that the front sprocket is spinning, because that's the same whether it's geared in front or back. It has to do with leverage. Hope this explaines it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	gearing demonstration small.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	88344  
Old 07-17-2004, 12:56 PM

LowViscosity is an unknown quantity at this point

Someone put that pic up in ENGLISH ... I have -1 in the front and i guess i'll start putting teeth in the rear now since all this "front sprocket does damage" stuff came up.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:33 PM

GsxrMike is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Re: Best Gearing for circles?

Originally Posted by f4rider
It's not all the same. And it has nothing to do with the speed that the front sprocket is spinning, because that's the same whether it's geared in front or back. It has to do with leverage. Hope this explaines it.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:58 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by Lb3

Nope, bigger sprockets (front or rear) = less chain tension
Old 07-18-2004, 05:19 PM
Lb3

thanks for the nfo fellas.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lb3
thanks for the nfo fellas.
Hey, change all your gearing. Put the stock front sprocket back on and go up all in the rear and then come back and post and tell us if there was a difference or not, if u got the xtra money i know i barley got my new conversion last week, sh*t cost money......
Old 07-19-2004, 01:44 PM

92SHINE is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by skitchR6
I've been working on circles but stillhave stock gearing and I'm fed up with the bike stalling halfway through... think 2 down 10 up will be sufficient?
Go with what ever gear ratio you want , but I have seen them done perfect with stock gearing .
Old 07-19-2004, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by 92SHINE
Go with what ever gear ratio you want , but I have seen them done perfect with stock gearing .
Very True.......