Can't bring my f3 up in second...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 12:21 AM

JonnyJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Can't bring my f3 up in second...

I've got no problem doing first gear wheelies, I can clutch it or power it up. But I would like to be able to do second gear wheelies if i can. I've tried to power it up, i've tried to bounce it up, i've tried to clutch bounce it up. But I just can't seem to bring the bastard up. Anyone have any advice? I don't have a tach which makes it kinda hard to give me rpm pointers but atleast i'll know if its possible to do or not. BTW my bikes bone stock...

Jon
Old 07-01-2004, 11:15 AM
Lick Tha Ballz

JPratt can only hope to improve
Re: Can't bring my f3 up in second...

you dont need a tach man.... Go off of the engine noise... If you can get it up in first, you can get it up in second... Its going to take a little more bounce, clutching/throttle than it would for first... I rode my friends last night, and had no problem at all getting his up in first or second... Its all in the technique and timing... Just keep practicing...
Old 07-01-2004, 11:45 AM
bam

bam is an unknown quantity at this point

Gearing is always helpful on f2/f3s
Old 07-01-2004, 01:37 PM

I was thinking about gearing it, maybe -1 +3 or +6. So what did you do to bring it up in second, just get the rpms damn near the limiter and slip the clutch with a bounce?
Old 07-01-2004, 01:46 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future

first bike was a '97 F3 and I could clutch it up in second fine...just sat back in the seat a little further, revved it up and clutched it...It'll come up for you, just give it more each time you try if it didn't work the first time...-1 +2 would make a big difference for you too....
Old 07-01-2004, 01:48 PM

One more question, what speed are you guys going when you clutch it?
Old 07-01-2004, 09:19 PM

tannar_zane is an unknown quantity at this point

haha, man i LOVE F3's. that was my 1st bike.... ok here's what i do... in 2nd go about 40-50mph at a steady pace.... then pull in the clutch and let off the throttle completely. now, as you would do as if you are taking off from a dead stop at a stop light or something, releasing the clutch and giving it gas, just as normal as can be... do the SAME EXACT THING... the only difference, do it as QUICKLY as you can, WITHOUT straight popping the clutch out. that's the technique. trust me, do it 4 times and you'll get it. remember, clutch all the way in, no throttle, 40-50mph, then as much as you release the clutch is exactly the same amout of throttle you're giving, just REALLY fast. it's exactly 50/50 on the clutch/throttle. you'll hear the motor, and feel the powerband kick in... it's very smooth on an F3. oh, and stand up, it feels really weird at 1st but you won't wreck as easily standing, and that's the best way and most compfortable to wheelie. trust me, i've rode F3's for miles on the highway, and it was bone-dry stock. i wish i still had mine haha.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:24 PM

Sounds good, hopefully it'll dry off enough that I can go try tonight, FRICKIN RAIN!

Oh yeah, when you say stand up do ya mean on the pegs, or one on the rear passenger and one on the brake. I've tried to stand on the rear peg and brake in first and it just feels way weird, like i'm gonna fly off the back.

Thanks for the help, Jon
Old 07-01-2004, 11:35 PM

UFDKris is an unknown quantity at this point

I rode a f3 for it seems like a long *** time anyway cool bike to learn how to wheelie on cause there heavy and dont have a lot of power, this will teach U to find the BP or the ***** will just fall back down. Stock on mine I just rode sit downs and ****** to second and third fourth ect. then I put a -1 on the front started doing stand up and could pull it in second and third just takes a little time. Third was a bitch U had to really bounce the **** out of it to get it up. I pretty much rode all my **** in second once u find the bp you'll rock that **** for miles loved my f3 great bike, Ive still got mine. Oh ya mine still wouldn't come up in second sitting down till I went -2+2.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:55 PM

Well it dried out enough for me to go ride and I was able to get it up in second, couldn't ride it out yet but hey I got it up which is a start. Thanks for all the info guys i'll keep at it!
Old 07-02-2004, 12:39 PM

e-roc is an unknown quantity at this point

yea I was having the same probs with getting my f3 up. I was practicing in a parking lot when Tanner drove up and asked to ride it. He popped it up easy like nothing, the bastard .LOL. I just kept on practicing and listened to his advice. Not that I'm that much better, but I'm getting there, and its good advice. Oh ,and it was really weird trying to do stand-ups too. i thought I was going to loop it or just get thrown off, but its actually way easier to learn stand-ups then sit-downs(for me anyway). Just gotta keep on practicing.

hey Tanner, you ever get your bike fixed?

Eric
Old 07-03-2004, 11:19 PM

FUUUUUCK no.... sux.... willie needs to find that ****ing part... hahaha... anyway, yeah it feels WAY weird at 1st to stand up on it... and when i mean by standing up johnny i mean either way, both front pegs or left foot on the back - just whatever is compfortable right now. i LOVE putting my left foot back... SO much easier to wheelie. and yeah, perfect example... haha i met this guy w/ a 97 F3 the other week and i'm like "so can i ride it?" "sure" then... BRAAAAAA... hahahaha, second gear like nothing. man i really miss my old F3, haha i want another one bad.

but the difference in standing and sitting is this - when sitting, there's a real little sweet spot, it's pretty much like this - you're not far enough back, or you're too far and you're gonna loop the bike. but when standing, your body has slack in the balance of the bike, so you have MUCH more room for the "sweet spot" or "balance point". now once you get that, put your left foot on the back peg.... it's night and day difference man, you're so relaxed and compfortable, and you can move all around on the bike, in lots of different positions, etc.... there's no other way to do it. lol, exept when you're doing idle wheelies and ****. any other questions johnny lemme know... i'll try to explain it the best i can.
Old 07-04-2004, 12:10 AM

devin140 is an unknown quantity at this point

with me, i feel best bouncing it up in 2nd, with no clutch, thats just me though. Lots of my friends always use their clutch. I dunno, just more comfortable for me. Anyways, cant tell you much about that, but for bouncing it up, i get it to about 8 grand, or 55 mph, bounce the hell out of it and just gas it, but thats with 3 up too. Anyways, find what you like and stick with it. Good luck man
Old 07-04-2004, 11:52 AM

xRR-riderx is an unknown quantity at this point

ive got an f3, the way i get it up is just straight clutch in second, and for third, bounce-clutch it, that works awesome.....
Old 07-04-2004, 01:17 PM

a 95 F3???? never heard of that... i dunno. i thought that was an F2, F3's didnt come out until 97, MAYBE even 96, so i thought.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:20 PM

f3's first came out in 95, in 97 they updated the body style to a more modern tail and slightly different side and front fairings. In 99 the f4 came out.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:41 PM

Evel Knievel is an unknown quantity at this point

3+ in the rear should do the trick :YEAH
Old 07-04-2004, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Evel Knievel
3+ in the rear should do the trick :YEAH
nah man, it's all about technique. yes it HELPS... BUT! changing your sprocket does not guarantee the front wheel to come up - it just makes it easier. if you don't know the technique, then if you have a sprocket or not doesn't matter. an F3 comes up fine stock with NO problems, as long as you know how to do it.
Old 07-04-2004, 05:39 PM

Yeah so far I haven't had any trouble bringing it up completely stock. My problem is riding it out...
Old 07-05-2004, 03:12 AM

gotta get to the balance point/sweet spot. you'll know when it's there, the bike feels completely weightless. but take your time, cause it's scary when you 1st hit it, but after that you'll then know where to be on one wheel. before long you'll be going miles.