Quick question about 1st gear standups

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 01:45 AM

speedy5290 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quick question about 1st gear standups

Finally got up the ***** to try them. I have found that they are easier to balance than 1st gear sit downs. My only problem is when i am trying to ride them out. My bike keeps drifting to the right and I basically have to let down the bike before I run into the sidewalk. I know its at balance point because I don't need to give it much gas to keep it going. I am clutching them up at about 20mph and I noticed that I am still a little jerky at it. What am I doing wrong and how can I correct it? My left foot is on the back peg and my right is over the brake. Is it easier to have both feet on the front pegs? Thanks
Old 06-29-2004, 04:39 PM
Scrape and keep going...

not_me is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Quick question about 1st gear standups

The left back, right front setup is great. Good stuff on keeping them up. I like it this way too, but rock both.

You may have more weight on your right foot because you are covering the brake. Try to focus on centering your weight in the middle of the bike. You may be jerking the bike up with the throttle hand because of the clutch/throttle timing.

Play around, have fun and be safe !
Old 06-30-2004, 11:57 PM

Thanks man. Got another question. I noticed that my body positioning is like leaned all the way forward. Would it be better if my body was positioned further back? or will that make the bike go too far?
Old 07-01-2004, 12:04 AM

Albgixxer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by speedy5290
Thanks man. Got another question. I noticed that my body positioning is like leaned all the way forward. Would it be better if my body was positioned further back? or will that make the bike go too far?
Lean back, I just started leaning back and it made a huge difference! Force yourself to lean back spend one night concentrating on your body position and you will feel a difference. The drifting to the right could be caused by the curve of the road too. All roads are graded slightly to the right for water run off. Try them on the left lane going the wrong way or in a parking lot and see if you still go to the right. It could still be your body too.

Note: common sense should kick in if there are cars in the oncoming lane do not try this.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:48 AM
Scrape and keep going...

not_me is an unknown quantity at this point

Body position is key. You will never fall if you ALWAYS cover your rear brake.

I am no pro but understood from the beginning how important the rear brake is. I can rock 20-30 second wheelies on the highway now because of the peace of mind it gives me.

I cannot stress enough how important covering your rear brake is. The second you "feel" like you are gonna fall, tap it and you will be fine.

Be safe. Rock on....
Old 07-01-2004, 12:24 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

-MXD- is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by not_me
Body position is key. You will never fall if you ALWAYS cover your rear brake.

I am no pro but understood from the beginning how important the rear brake is. I can rock 20-30 second wheelies on the highway now because of the peace of mind it gives me.

I cannot stress enough how important covering your rear brake is. The second you "feel" like you are gonna fall, tap it and you will be fine.

Be safe. Rock on....
i try to tell all my friends this ****. good advice too bad they dont listen and loop it
Old 07-01-2004, 01:12 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

teva is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by speedy5290
Finally got up the ***** to try them. I have found that they are easier to balance than 1st gear sit downs. My only problem is when i am trying to ride them out. My bike keeps drifting to the right and I basically have to let down the bike before I run into the sidewalk. I know its at balance point because I don't need to give it much gas to keep it going. I am clutching them up at about 20mph and I noticed that I am still a little jerky at it. What am I doing wrong and how can I correct it? My left foot is on the back peg and my right is over the brake. Is it easier to have both feet on the front pegs? Thanks
MAD PROPS ON YOUR EFFORTS. YOU SHOULD TRY IT IN 2ND, IT'S ALOT MORE STABLE. EVERYONES WRIGHT THOUGH, BODY POSITION IS VERY IMPORTANT. THE MORE UPRIGHT YOU ARE THE BETTER SENSE OF WERE YOUR BIKE IS[WHEELIE POSITION].REAR BRAKE IS THE KEY, ALWAYS REMEMBER TO COVER IT. KEEP PRACTICING YOU'LL GET IT.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:02 PM

ReconR1rider is an unknown quantity at this point

hey bro, the hardest past of doing those standup 1st gears and getting the ***** to try it...i would keep both feet on your front pegs..and yes leaning back will help a crap load..try dropping your rear wheel pressure to about 30psi rather then the 36 your prolly have now...the less pressure the bigger the pad you have...
Old 07-02-2004, 01:38 AM

Thanks everyone. I've been trying it for the past couple days. I am getting better at it. I stopped veering to the right and I am definitaly standing back further. I have it at balance point i think, because I can ride it out a good couple city blocks without hitting the limiter. I just feel like im going to fall backwards. The throttle also feels really touchy, but when I try it in second I can't get it to balance point. I try the same method, left foot back peg, right foot over brake. I'm going about 45-50 and rev the **** out of it, sometimes even to the limiter and it only jumps up about a foot, maybe two feet. How can I pull it up a little higher, is it possible to do it without bouncing it? Bouncing it always makes me come up a little sideways or off balance. Should I stand with both feet on the front pegs? Thanks again.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:57 AM

ReconR1rider is an unknown quantity at this point

bro 2nd is almost just as easy..again get to about 45 in 2nd-stand leaning forward over ur bars with back legs almost locked out and be on your front pegs-then close the throttle and lean in then open the throttle hard and at the same EXACT time lean up-next thing you know you'll freak out when it comes up a few feet and then just practice/././...good luck man...