Loose front end

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 02:06 PM
Scrape and keep going...

not_me is an unknown quantity at this point
Loose front end

My front tire pressure is 37lbs but the bike feels very unstable in corners, almost like the dampner isn't working, or like a very low tire. I wheelie a lot and my friend said that over time the collar nut becomes very loose and just simply needs to be tightened.

I may not be good with the names but he described the two nuts that are below the top of the tree that sits on the rubber gasket, slightly in front of the tank. Not the nut on the top of the tree.

Help would be appreciated.

Scoop
Old 06-17-2004, 02:22 PM

catach42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Loose front end

Originally Posted by not_me
My front tire pressure is 37lbs but the bike feels very unstable in corners, almost like the dampner isn't working, or like a very low tire. I wheelie a lot and my friend said that over time the collar nut becomes very loose and just simply needs to be tightened.

I may not be good with the names but he described the two nuts that are below the top of the tree that sits on the rubber gasket, slightly in front of the tank. Not the nut on the top of the tree.

Help would be appreciated.

Scoop
yep landing from wheelies and doin stoppies will beat on ur steerimg stem bearing. take off the clipons and top triple tree. loosen the top nut/collar thing so u can turn the bottom one. tighten it up pretty good, but you shouldnt be able to feel tension when you turn the wheel. put it all back together and go. :YEAH
Old 06-17-2004, 03:13 PM
Scrape and keep going...

Thanks catach42. Where the hell do I get a wrench (or whatever tool) to tighten those things. They are circles with notches in them.

It almost looks like a c-wrench tab tools would work but I have no idea where to grab one......
Old 06-17-2004, 05:43 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

bill parr is an unknown quantity at this point

a spanner wrench for a zx6r rear shock will work, or the old screw driver and hammer trick. does it kind feel bouncy in corners??? if it does it could be your fork springs.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:13 PM

HurricaneF2 is an unknown quantity at this point

a real easy way to tell is get on the bike with your feet on the ground, squeeze the brake and shove the front end down. if its loose, youll feel it give, there will be a click for lack of a better term.

you dont need to remove anything like somebody else said, just loosen the yoke nut and tighten. a good way to tell when its tight enough is use a floor jack to raise the front tire off the ground and turn the front wheel and let go. when its loose it will flop back to the lower side real easy, tighten until it gently falls to the low side
Old 06-17-2004, 09:21 PM
Regular StuntLifer

brandolb is an unknown quantity at this point

When my front tire was choppped and worn it felt the same way in corners.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:01 AM
Scrape and keep going...

Thanks for all the help guys, I am trying everything tonight.

The front tyre is 80% new, so I doubt its that. Three of my boys had the same thing happen on GIXXERS so I am guessing it is the steering stem.

You guys rock
Old 06-18-2004, 10:36 AM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point

ya, if it's the steering stem bearings, just get a spanner wrench, you might need 2 of them to help with the lock nut. one comes in your tool kit for the bike so find someone with the tool kit and borrow it.

when you tighten it, it's only tightened to 7lbs (on hondas) and it's about the same on almost all bikes. don't crank down on it or you will damage the bearings. just tighten it about 10lbs which is snug, but not super tight, then lock the washer on top of it without the bottom nut moving anymore.