How high?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 10:17 PM
FHL
I Chose to No Longer Post

FHL is a decent person
How high?

I was out practicing and decided to bring my digital camera along and put a timer on it and do some wheelies.

This one in the video got cut off right at that point and that was less than a second after clutching it, if you want me to post the video I can.

My question is, in the video you can hear the bike revving for another couple seconds and then me finally letting off the throttle. When I was actually doing it, it felt like I had it up to 9 o clock and then hit the balance point at which point I closed the throttle.

Is it possible that it just seemed really high and it was only as high as the picture, or do you think as I had the throttle pinned it probably did get up to the balance point...
Old 06-14-2004, 10:25 PM
FHL

FHL is a decent person
Re: How high?

Also, what technique should I use for clutching it to balance point, right now I don't even think I'm getting close.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:30 PM
I Love To Post!

aNskY can only hope to improve

get someone to get you on vid... w/ a real camera... thats the only way really to guage yourself when 1st learning wheelies IMO... until i saw myself on video, i was about as high as you and i thought i was the **** lol... it definately feels higher than it is when yer first startin out
Old 06-14-2004, 10:34 PM
FHL

FHL is a decent person

Originally Posted by aNskY
get someone to get you on vid... w/ a real camera... thats the only way really to guage yourself when 1st learning wheelies IMO... until i saw myself on video, i was about as high as you and i thought i was the **** lol... it definately feels higher than it is when yer first startin out
Yeah I don't really know anyone that would do that for me haha but I'll try..

I have another shot actually and I can't tell if it's any higher, it's the next frame about a half a second later.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wheelie2.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	83708  
Old 06-14-2004, 10:37 PM
I Love To Post!

u dont have a friend that would follow you and videotape?
Old 06-14-2004, 10:41 PM
FHL

FHL is a decent person

Originally Posted by aNskY
u dont have a friend that would follow you and videotape?
Not really, I'm homeschooled so I don't really know anyone..

Hmm, from wathcing the actual video again, the first picture I showed you seems to be directly after dumping the clutch, and I go out of sight within a half a second, you can hear full throttle for another second, and then I close it and scoot away.

It definitely felt like I got pretty high, and having it full throttle it may have gotten higher.

I think I'll chop up the video and upload it real quick.

EDIT-

I'm gonna borrow my sisters actual video camera, so I can get better shots, the problem with my digi cam is that it doesn't have good enough resolution to see anything from farther than 20 feet away, so the amount of time I can see myself is very limited.

Once I have the video camera I'll be able to start the wheelies from farther away.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:42 PM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point

you are barely off the ground in both pictures. not being a dick, just being honest. also, you are humping your tank in both pictures, dont lean on the tank when you do wheelies, lock your arms and sit up straight.

and FYI, 9 oclock is pointing directly flat, as if both wheels were on the ground
Old 06-14-2004, 10:45 PM
FHL

FHL is a decent person

Originally Posted by binder929rr
you are barely off the ground in both pictures. not being a dick, just being honest. also, you are humping your tank in both pictures, dont lean on the tank when you do wheelies, lock your arms and sit up straight.

and FYI, 9 oclock is pointing directly flat, as if both wheels were on the ground

Oh, whoops, I meant 10 o clock then... I know balance point is something like 3 feet off the ground.

No. I am not humping the tank either, my arms were locked and I was sitting as far back as I could on the seat and my kneecaps were squeezing it.

I don't know how to keep my body straight and sit as far back as I can, I'm only 5'8 so my arms are kinda short. I'll work on it next time I go out though.

FYI too this is only one of like 10 wheelies I've done ever, so I should suck. (that have gotten off the ground high enough to roll out I should say..)
Old 06-14-2004, 11:18 PM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point

there is no set balance point, it depends on a lot of things.

and i'm not hating, everyone learns, but you asked so i answered honestly that your front end isn't very far. it takes time man, go slow and learn, don't try too hard and go out of your limit cuase that's when accidents happen and people get hurt.

and i don't want to argue but from looking at both of those pics, your helmet shows you are leaning into the bike pretty good. i'm 5'9" and there is a huge difference in how far i am from teh tank/windscreen than you in those pictures. it's common for people to lean into the tank when starting to wheelie....bad habit that takes a while to break.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:27 PM
Lb3

Lb3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Listen to binder and don't offer help to people asking questions about wheelies for 6 months.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:32 PM
I Love To Post!

for real bro, listen to these guys, they know what theyre talking about.. i been tryin to be a stunna for almost a year now and im just starting to be able to keep it up at bp for a while!!
Old 06-15-2004, 12:28 AM
FHL

FHL is a decent person

You know what though, I was going up a very steep hill though so I may have been at balance point since it's like adding 2 feet of air to the wheelie in the first place.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:46 AM

J.C. is an unknown quantity at this point

holy ****
Old 06-15-2004, 02:55 AM
FHL

FHL is a decent person

Here's the video, I'll take some more shots and try to get it higher tomorrow.

Oh and also try to borrow my sisters video camera, cause this piece of ****ing **** resolution isn't enough...

http://home.comcast.net/~jajajaja/wheelie.avi

(Also working on getting a stock pipe off ebay for 10 dollars just gotta talk my dad into it cause I fear the police riding with the RS-3..)
Old 06-15-2004, 06:07 AM

bruno_z is an unknown quantity at this point

When I was starting I was pulling it up a foot or so and I tought that I was going to loop and that Im realy high and ****, and when I saw the cam shots I was flamming on my friend how he can't catch a decent foto, that he allways gets me when I'm getting it up or putting it down. I was very wrong, cuz you always think that you are so high and it is scary, but little by little, you will go higher and higher. You also need some ballz! When learning, I was watching how high the front end is compared to riders head (eyes - point of vision) on all of the pics I could find. Than I saw that when you are in sittdown BP you cannot see over the bike at all, and I could see the road fully so I was concentrating to bring it up to the point I cannot see over. That were some experiences of mine. The best thing is for someone to videotape you.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:56 AM
I Love To Post!

Originally Posted by FHL
You know what though, I was going up a very steep hill though so I may have been at balance point since it's like adding 2 feet of air to the wheelie in the first place.
no... im tellin ya man once you see video, you will laugh at yourself.. but its a good thing.. helps you to grow the ***** to get it up higher :YEAH
Old 06-15-2004, 10:48 AM
Lick Tha Ballz

JPratt can only hope to improve

Buy the kyle wood/matt gorka video. It will help ya get a understanding of everything you want to know...

"Or else you could just slip the throttle, redline the bike and release the clutch, and dont cover the brake"... That kinda of advice sound familiar???

Or maybe you could contact the 14 year old kid in florida thats 12vn now and ask him for some pointers....
Old 06-15-2004, 10:53 AM
I Love To Post!

Sean24 is an unknown quantity at this point

All i could see was a blur in that video, just keep practicing
Old 06-15-2004, 11:31 AM

eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

before i got my sit-downs down on my gixxer i was doin stand-ups. try that. i wasnt doin to well on the front pegs so i moved to the pass. pegs and it helped me. scared the **** out of me! felt like it was goin to fall back on me!
Old 06-15-2004, 01:53 PM

SmurfKilla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FHL
LMAO......bud forget about the term balance point...You are not helping yourself with ridiculous comments like that one (see above)...

That vid clip shows your tire about 1/2 foot off the ground at best...
Keep practicing and filming yourself..its the best way to learn...Get comfortable bunny hopping the front wheel up and down the street and continue to move on from there..
After about 1000 wheelies then you can start to work on BP and other things..

Oh and it looks like you got on shorts in that clip.....

Cheers
SK

Quick Reply: How high?