Still cant get it together

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 08:07 PM

ryznstr-15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Still cant get it together

Well now that I am on my 954 I know I have more than enough power to get the thing up im just not able to get it up to the balance point or more than a few feet. What rpm's do I want to be at when clutchin it up and what is the best way to start out doin wheelies especially if your sliders havent come in yet ( stupid a$$ holes I've been waitin for a week and a half now) my bad peeps
let me know please I didnt by this bike to look sexy. Holla back someone please............
Old 05-15-2004, 08:15 PM

DetroitStyle is a decent person
Re: Still cant get it together

How ya standin'? or are you sitting?

Try standing up, with your left foot on the passenger peg. If you're only gettin' it for a few feet... you're not on the balance point. Just cover that back brake, and pick it up a bit higher... then work on smoothing it out.

It's all about seat time. Find yourself a nice, secluded, safe spot to practice, and go at it. 3-4 hours a day, you'll have it in a week....
Old 05-15-2004, 08:18 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

bill parr is an unknown quantity at this point

its just going to take some time and practice. i dont want to sound like a broken record, but it takes alot of practice. dont push it, go as your comfortable, there is a fine line between balance point and looping, trust me ive looped and it sucks. you will know when you get it, your rpms will drop and you will hear the bike slow down. cover your back brake at all times, if you go to high, tap the back brake, it will bring you down. once you get good at the balance point you will learn how to use a little pressure on the back brake to slow it down. wear your helmet and practice, it will come to you. if you can get your hands on a cheap 600, learn on that, it takes alot more skill and finess, then it will be easier on the 954 and you wont be relying on the power to carry your wheelies. have fun and be safe.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:24 AM

atnuts is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Still cant get it together

I have an R1 and started learnin in 1st gear. Roll between 5 and 6krpm, and with only your index finger pull the clutch in halfway and release it. That hole motion should only take a second or so. In between the 'pull in & release' of the clutch, give it some throttle. That front will come up so don't panic and stay smooth on the throttle. If you're not used to it you will probably let off the throttle a few times but you'll get it eventually. To keep the front up you need to stay on the throttle. This is all done while sitting down. Remember, the front needs to be a certain height(balance point) if you want to ride it out for a while. And like everyone said, 'cover that back brake'.

re-cap:
1-roll between 5 & 6krpms
2-with index finger only, 'slip' clutch(in half way only)
3-give it some throttle(hold it do not let off)
4-release clutch
5-front will come up
6-stay on throttle(cover back brake)
7-ride to limiter...enjoy

this is a good start for ya. As you know, that bike, like my R1, has more than enough power. Shi7, I do this on my 600. Once you get the hang of the 1st gear, you can move onto bigger and better methods. HOpe this helps ya out.
Oh, f*** sliders, get a cage :YEAH

-jr
Old 05-17-2004, 06:30 AM

md954 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by r6_kidd
I have an R1 and started learnin in 1st gear. Roll between 5 and 6krpm, and with only your index finger pull the clutch in halfway and release it. That hole motion should only take a second or so. In between the 'pull in & release' of the clutch, give it some throttle. That front will come up so don't panic and stay smooth on the throttle. If you're not used to it you will probably let off the throttle a few times but you'll get it eventually. To keep the front up you need to stay on the throttle. This is all done while sitting down. Remember, the front needs to be a certain height(balance point) if you want to ride it out for a while. And like everyone said, 'cover that back brake'.

this is a good start for ya. As you know, that bike, like my R1, has more than enough power. Shi7, I do this on my 600. Once you get the hang of the 1st gear, you can move onto bigger and better methods. HOpe this helps ya out.
Oh, f*** sliders, get a cage :YEAH

-jr
This is great info. One question. What is the rpm range for 2nd gear wheelies? I want to get the hang of sitdowns in second. Thanks.