Stock sprockets, bouncing...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 11:31 PM
FHL
I Chose to No Longer Post

FHL is a decent person
Stock sprockets, bouncing...

I am wondering what your techniques are for bouncing first gear wheelies with stock gearing.

I have been able to do it several times but I would like to be able to bounce it up 100% of the time.

Here's what i'm doing:

1. Stand on both front pegs crouched
2. Move my entire body down and push
3. Whack the throttle open

Am I missing anything or do I just need more practice?
Old 05-14-2004, 11:45 PM

f4rider is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Stock sprockets, bouncing...

So you don't know what the hell you're doing, and yet you give advice to others?

https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/443-stunting-help-advice/72156-complete-guide-learning-basic.html
Old 05-14-2004, 11:47 PM
FHL

FHL is a decent person

Right....
Old 05-14-2004, 11:49 PM

b_faulk75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Tried clutchin it up yet??? I'm ridin an 02 600 and I usually dont have to bounce to get the front up, when i was first learning to ride wheelies i would just power wheely it( run it up to around 8000 rrrs roll off then smack it open she'll stand straight up) BUT.... everyone kept tellin me to cluch it, it took a little practice to get the timing down but now i can bring it up 100% and your not going half as fast. ITz THE sHiZNIt!!! I dont even try to power it up anymore!!!
Old 05-15-2004, 12:33 AM
FHL

FHL is a decent person

Originally Posted by b_faulk75
Tried clutchin it up yet??? I'm ridin an 02 600 and I usually dont have to bounce to get the front up, when i was first learning to ride wheelies i would just power wheely it( run it up to around 8000 rrrs roll off then smack it open she'll stand straight up) BUT.... everyone kept tellin me to cluch it, it took a little practice to get the timing down but now i can bring it up 100% and your not going half as fast. ITz THE sHiZNIt!!! I dont even try to power it up anymore!!!

I can clutch it, I just want to learn to bounce so I can pull 2nd gear wheelies. I also can't power up wheelies without bouncing it. I sit close to the tank, with my back leaning as far towards the rear as I can while still keeping my arms loose. I roll on the throttle until I feel the powerband hit, then I shut off, bounce the **** out of the forks with my hands, and whack the throttle open.

I was never able to power wheelies sitting far to the rear, when I sit close and lean back I can actually feel the front end lighten when it hits the powerband .

Should I try powering it off when I'm bouncing a standup?
Old 05-15-2004, 02:10 AM
Regular StuntLifer

brandolb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FHL
I am wondering what your techniques are for bouncing first gear wheelies with stock gearing.

I have been able to do it several times but I would like to be able to bounce it up 100% of the time.

Here's what i'm doing:

1. Stand on both front pegs crouched
2. Move my entire body down and push
3. Whack the throttle open

Am I missing anything or do I just need more practice?
I think i have told you this before, maybe listen this time.
Cruise in 1st with a steady throttle, i'd say around 7k. Stand and bounce on the pegs with feet only, bounce the bike many times to get a feel of how the bike reacts. Once you got the feel of the bounce and when the bike rebounds up hit the throttle and hold on.
Hey, i told you i'd ride with you sometime, whats up, pm me.
Old 05-15-2004, 02:25 AM
FHL

FHL is a decent person

Originally Posted by brandolb
I think i have told you this before, maybe listen this time.
Cruise in 1st with a steady throttle, i'd say around 7k. Stand and bounce on the pegs with feet only, bounce the bike many times to get a feel of how the bike reacts. Once you got the feel of the bounce and when the bike rebounds up hit the throttle and hold on.
Hey, i told you i'd ride with you sometime, whats up, pm me.
I've done this, it works sometimes, but other times it only gets an inch off the ground and lands crossed up (wuv my stock damper). One thing I'm unclear about, I know you say when it rebounds, but I've been told by other people to apply throttle when the forks are compressed...
Old 05-15-2004, 06:14 AM

evolrider is an unknown quantity at this point

I gota 03 gsxr 600. Honestly man, try power up sit downs first. Go to 8k rpm off throttle, on about 3/4ths throttle. Keep your whole upper body loose. I think if you try stand ups in first w/clutch that ish is going to scare the crap outya. Bouncing also takes timing. Thats probably the biggest part. As soon as you bounce, on the way down at the lowest point, then 3/4 throttle on instently. It will start comming to ya. I got stock everything I can clutch it up going 10mph, power 1st, 2nd gear "no clutch" stand ups, 3rd gear clutch ups. Its not the bike, practice...
Old 05-15-2004, 12:12 PM

palladin18 is an unknown quantity at this point

kyle woods and matt gorka made an excellent video that can teach you everything you could want to know.

www.fromdummies.com
Old 05-16-2004, 12:53 AM

b_faulk75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FHL
I can clutch it, I just want to learn to bounce so I can pull 2nd gear wheelies. I also can't power up wheelies without bouncing it. I sit close to the tank, with my back leaning as far towards the rear as I can while still keeping my arms loose. I roll on the throttle until I feel the powerband hit, then I shut off, bounce the **** out of the forks with my hands, and whack the throttle open.

I was never able to power wheelies sitting far to the rear, when I sit close and lean back I can actually feel the front end lighten when it hits the powerband .

Should I try powering it off when I'm bouncing a standup?
I ain't no pro, so i can't really give advise, but i'm not to comfy doin anything stand up yet. Seems when i stand up and clutch or power i get the front wheel cocked and feel off balance, someone else in here said to bounce with your legs instead of your arms.....GoNNa giVe ThaT a tRy!!!!
Old 05-16-2004, 01:39 AM
FHL

FHL is a decent person

Originally Posted by b_faulk75
I ain't no pro, so i can't really give advise, but i'm not to comfy doin anything stand up yet. Seems when i stand up and clutch or power i get the front wheel cocked and feel off balance, someone else in here said to bounce with your legs instead of your arms.....GoNNa giVe ThaT a tRy!!!!
I finally found a 1/4 mile strip of straight road in an industrial area to practice at.

I figured out that for me at least, the best way to keep it from coming up crossed is to crouch more and keep my hands as loose as possible.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:26 PM

f4rider is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FHL
I figured out that for me at least, the best way to keep it from coming up crossed is to crouch more and keep my hands as loose as possible.
You're a dumbass
Old 05-16-2004, 04:24 PM

Gixxrr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FHL
I've done this, it works sometimes, but other times it only gets an inch off the ground and lands crossed up (wuv my stock damper). One thing I'm unclear about, I know you say when it rebounds, but I've been told by other people to apply throttle when the forks are compressed...
You give it gas on the bounce when the forks are down on the bounce if it don't come up it's cuz you didn't give it enough gas - when I had my gsxr 6 I could bounce it in third using the same method - try 8,000 instead of 7.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:15 AM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

****in tellaport that bitch up, get to bout 10,000 RPMS in 6th gear and close ur eyes and think really hard on thinking of the front wheel coming off the ground then wham open ur god damn eyes and im sure you'll get that bitch off the groud E Z
Old 05-17-2004, 01:18 AM

devin140 is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah, my buddies gixxer 6 would come up no problem sitting down in 1st or 2nd, dont even bounce it dude, 3rd, bounce it
Old 05-17-2004, 02:40 AM
I Have Too Much Free Time

bikerboy has a spectacular aura aboutbikerboy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by f4rider
You're a dumbass

Just stand and gas the bitch and it'll come up. And who the *** told him to clutch it in first, b_faulk75 was that you? The man doesn't even know how to wheelie anything. Why would you tell him to clutch up first if he doesn't even know how to power the damn thing? And you know as well as I that 1st gear is the most aggresive gear. HE DOES NOT NEED TO CLUTCH THIS GEAR. At least not until he gets the hang of doing it and gets used to being up.

Hey, to the creator of this post, dude your putting to much fukking thought into it. Its as simple as this.

Get used to being in the air. Cover your damn brake, if you get to the point of flipping(YOU'LL KNOW) then gently hit the rear brake. Then work on holding it longer. Then use wehat you learned in 1st, and apply it to 2nd. Then learn to clutch second as you now are not scared and you know where the point you need to be is.

All this squatting, loosening hands, sucking in your *** and all that is unnecessary. Just have your knees slightly bent and go from there. You'll notice when you get scared you are leaning forward anyways so just practice. That's it. You are NOT going to learn this to perfection in a few hours and I think you are looking for some silver bullet. There is none. Just practice. That's it. Practice and get the feeling for being in the air... You are trying to move to fast, are going outside your riding skills and are increasing the risk of you wrecking b/c you are trying to move so fast. Do it like the rest of us. Over many months and months. So get used to it taking its time. I have never wrecked doing wheelies or stoppies, rollin endo's one handed endos etc. Why? I take my time and know my limits. Once I start rockin the slow ****, then that's a different story . I already expect to drop her a good many times.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:48 AM
I Have Too Much Free Time

bikerboy has a spectacular aura aboutbikerboy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by FHL
I finally found a 1/4 mile strip of straight road in an industrial area to practice at.

Uhh? You have me REALLY REALLY lost. Are you trying to NOT do wheelies or are you trying to do them? WHat you said is just contradictory. You say the best way to keep it from coing up is.... And then why ask how to do a standup...

Are you joking and not serious about this at all b/c you sound like a person just wasting others time...Why are you trying to come up with ways how to not do a wheelie when you want to do one?

Dude, I give up on you. You apprently are one of those hard *** poeple to teach...