wheelie wobble

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 02:20 AM

headache is an unknown quantity at this point
Question wheelie wobble

I was wondering what makes a bike wobble during a standup wheelie. I have only been doing standups for a couple months. It seems it only does it when the front wheel is really high. Oh yeah how do you go about balancing a standup? I can only accelerate through 2nd by blipping the throttle on and off until i get to about 110mph and then i usually let off and set the front wheel down. Do i need to get the rpms near redline and then let off the gas a little and hold it steady?? I need some help on this cause i want to ride a wheelie for at least a mile or so!!
Old 05-12-2004, 02:43 AM
I Have Too Much Free Time

bikerboy has a spectacular aura aboutbikerboy has a spectacular aura about
Re: wheelie wobble

Originally Posted by headache
I was wondering what makes a bike wobble during a standup wheelie. I have only been doing standups for a couple months. It seems it only does it when the front wheel is really high. Oh yeah how do you go about balancing a standup? I can only accelerate through 2nd by blipping the throttle on and off until i get to about 110mph and then i usually let off and set the front wheel down. Do i need to get the rpms near redline and then let off the gas a little and hold it steady?? I need some help on this cause i want to ride a wheelie for at least a mile or so!!
your going waaay to fast to try to ride a long wheelie out. Just clutch it at about 50-60 and then get it higher. The secret to distance is height. So you must not be high enough. After you are at balancing point it just takes skill to keep you there which there is no secret bro.Just practice. All in all just take your time and go slow... You'll get it before too long..

The wobble could be from several factors. To windy outside, the weights on your rims aren't balanced, the road conditions, and rider error. Practice. Remember when you did the first sit down you'd drift until you got the hang of it? Well, same applies except the other things listed that may be the problem... Find a different road and see if it does the same.

Once at bp you'll feel the rpms drop and then you gently work the throttle. You shouldn't have to chase wheelies down... Cover the rear brake and be careful.

Do not try this at home. For proffesionals only.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:45 PM

Albgixxer is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm doing the same thing! I have found that it is mostly in my legs. I started paying close attention to my legs and how they move when I'm bringing the bike up. I noticed if I kept a solid, straight stance and focused on the front fender I would come up fine. Once I started to move I would wobble and so on. I am trying to get the feel for shifting my weight without moving my legs. Kinda weird but I think I'll get it. I also got some aluminum rods that go between the rear pegs to stiffen them up. Hopefully they'll help. Before I started trying to slow my wheelies down in parking lots I could ride stand ups for ever and then once I got comfortable with them I got loose and the bike started to wooble, go figure!!
Old 05-12-2004, 10:46 PM

CrabbR6 is an unknown quantity at this point

also if your tire is really bald or squared off it will get nasty wobbles i found that out the other day
Old 05-13-2004, 02:33 AM
I Have Too Much Free Time

bikerboy has a spectacular aura aboutbikerboy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by CrabbR6
also if your tire is really bald or squared off it will get nasty wobbles i found that out the other day

chick-shae OKie????1!!!!

Hey what's up man. I am in Orange Country right now. Ol' Stillwater....

We need to ride sometime....
Old 05-13-2004, 10:25 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Kev900RR is an unknown quantity at this point

tire pressure????
Old 05-14-2004, 08:32 AM

flip3587 is an unknown quantity at this point

i travel through chickasha when i go to ks...our burban blew a head gasket there and left us stranded 4 16 hours haha
Old 05-14-2004, 09:17 PM

headache is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not for sure what my tire pressure is, so tomorrow i'm going to check it b4 i go ride. It might need lowered a little. I've heard 25psi is good for wheelies.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:43 AM

CrabbR6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bikerboy
chick-shae OKie????1!!!!

Hey what's up man. I am in Orange Country right now. Ol' Stillwater....

We need to ride sometime....
Yea we do ill be in Stillwater next August going to school. Ill be looking for a group to ride with.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:53 AM
Regular StuntLifer

NYCr6Nukka is an unknown quantity at this point

wobble wobble a wont ya shake it shake it