F4i-1st gear clutching

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 05:36 PM
F*(K Yut Uggh

287ridah is an unknown quantity at this point
F4i-1st gear clutching

Power wheeling it up in 1st to the front end of the BP or where my gauges are eye level I can do. Reading that great post by f4irider and other posts, regarding clutching as better, has me eager to learn clutch. My problem is where about,in rpms, should the clutch be dropped? A few came up around 6k, 7k but im not sure. Its such a quick process. Practice, practice,practice is probably my answer, but my nerveness comes from dumping it at too high an rpm, and looping it. Is there a basic range like 7k to 9k to practice in? And if you rev past 10k should ya prepared to crash....
---if someone knows a previous post that answers my question please refer me.-----
Also for you clutch guys, did you have problems with sore clutch fingers when you started out? My index and middle fingers are sore after an hour of clutching.

--experience is what you get when you dont get what you want--
Old 05-09-2004, 06:09 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

jowalskiMO is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: F4i-1st gear clutching

When I clutch up first, I believe that it is at an estimated 7,000-8,000 rpms with stock gearing. If you are afraid of looping, just remember to cover the rear brake with your foot. If it comes up past where you are comfortable, just hit the back brake.
Old 05-09-2004, 07:02 PM
F*(K Yut Uggh

Originally Posted by jowalskiMO
When I clutch up first, I believe that it is at an estimated 7,000-8,000 rpms with stock gearing. If you are afraid of looping, just remember to cover the rear brake with your foot. If it comes up past where you are comfortable, just hit the back brake.
Thanks for the advice
Old 05-10-2004, 06:27 AM

dizzy_jester is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 287ridah
Power wheeling it up in 1st to the front end of the BP or where my gauges are eye level I can do. Reading that great post by f4irider and other posts, regarding clutching as better, has me eager to learn clutch. My problem is where about,in rpms, should the clutch be dropped? A few came up around 6k, 7k but im not sure. Its such a quick process. Practice, practice,practice is probably my answer, but my nerveness comes from dumping it at too high an rpm, and looping it. Is there a basic range like 7k to 9k to practice in? And if you rev past 10k should ya prepared to crash....
---if someone knows a previous post that answers my question please refer me.-----
Also for you clutch guys, did you have problems with sore clutch fingers when you started out? My index and middle fingers are sore after an hour of clutching.

--experience is what you get when you dont get what you want--
\
what i do is rev up to about 6-7 then hit the throttle twice then let go of the clutch at the second rev.... it usually hits at a 45 degree angle then i give it a lil more power and hit BP, if ya wanna go straight to BP (which is scary as hell for me) goto about 8500-9... feels unsafe for me so i always goto 7... but thass what i do...hope it helps
Old 05-10-2004, 06:38 AM

a56kuser is an unknown quantity at this point

im still practicing clutching up first gear....i think i just gotta be smoother on the throttle and stay w/ it.... i pull in my clutch w/ the pointer finger....
here is a video of me practicing to clutch it up.... any one can give me some tipS??? i havent jacked up my idle yet(in the video the idle sound is coming from my other friends bike.
do i just gotta keep it at the highest point i am at in the video or do i gotta just work on being more smooth...... or both?

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~agriffit/Files/slowwheelie.WMV
Old 05-10-2004, 08:25 AM
F*(K Yut Uggh

Smile Re: F4i-1st gear clutching

Originally Posted by dizzy_jester
\
what i do is rev up to about 6-7 then hit the throttle twice then let go of the clutch at the second rev.... it usually hits at a 45 degree angle then i give it a lil more power and hit BP, if ya wanna go straight to BP (which is scary as hell for me) goto about 8500-9... feels unsafe for me so i always goto 7... but thass what i do...hope it helps
Much appreciated!! Your advice gives me an rpm range to shoot for.
Practice makes perfect

Nice video "a56kuser", looks like your doing it. yeah, Ive read so much about being smooth on the throttle is so important. Thanks for the feed back.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:01 AM
F*(K Yut Uggh

Originally Posted by a56kuser
im still practicing clutching up first gear....i think i just gotta be smoother on the throttle and stay w/ it.... i pull in my clutch w/ the pointer finger....
here is a video of me practicing to clutch it up.... any one can give me some tipS??? i havent jacked up my idle yet(in the video the idle sound is coming from my other friends bike.
do i just gotta keep it at the highest point i am at in the video or do i gotta just work on being more smooth...... or both?

Just noticed your in Hawaii!!
Can you clear your private messages , couldn't leave you a message, your box was filled. Im thinking about moving to the islands and would like to hit you up.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:38 PM

u can pm me now.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:44 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

jowalskiMO is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, if you are doing standups with your left foot on the passenger peg, it really helps to bounce it up. Tenny told me to try it last night and it makes it way easier to pull it up. As for smoothness, turn your idle up to 3,000-3,500 rpms, and that should help to relieve some of the twichy-ness, and as far as what speed to clutch up at, I clutch up at what my bike rolls at once the idle is turned up.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:01 AM

Neuby is an unknown quantity at this point

nice vid, maybe you can answer some of my questions...
is that an F4i you are using, what kinda of stuff as in gearing ect..
what mph and what rpms are you letting the clutch out.

i just started trying to wheelie about 1 month now, i can only clutch it up in 2nd going about 28-40 mph, once i get it up it comes back down because i feel im going to loop, if i keep on the throttle (guess i need more *****) .

how do you guys compair 1st gear and second gear wheelies. is it easyer to do and learn off of, or is it better to just keep trying to get 2nd gear down then move on to 1st.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:52 AM
I Have Too Much Free Time

bikerboy has a spectacular aura aboutbikerboy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Neuby
nice vid, maybe you can answer some of my questions...
is that an F4i you are using, what kinda of stuff as in gearing ect..
what mph and what rpms are you letting the clutch out.

i just started trying to wheelie about 1 month now, i can only clutch it up in 2nd going about 28-40 mph, once i get it up it comes back down because i feel im going to loop, if i keep on the throttle (guess i need more *****) .

how do you guys compair 1st gear and second gear wheelies. is it easyer to do and learn off of, or is it better to just keep trying to get 2nd gear down then move on to 1st.
Here's what I always have done form the directs of others...

If you learn first and take it slow then any of the gears will be sooo much easier.

This is what they taught me....

Man I can't find it but here it is from what I remember....

actually this is the way I have and am learning, others here who are better may adjust the whole thing and show me the right way bt this is the way I learned.....Also I learned sit down before standup as I know alot of guys who do the reverse....

this is for sit downs as I am learning the standups in the same order but I haven't switched gears yet. So I am learning standups by clutching and powering first... This is what I am doing and have gotten alot of advise from A56kuser over the time that he's been here and other places as well.... Plus that guy is getting alot better....From what I see....in his avatar in other places.... man. Keep it up. Betta watch out I am coming bro.....

ANyways this is my thing for sit downs. Stand ups came, again, after I learned clutching 2nd and def after learning 1st's aggresive nature...

- first power
-2nd (the feel for it)
-2nd clutching
-1st clutching
-shifting from 1st to second, and the rest is history

then you just practice what you know with the slow stuff.... but I am far from there so I am happy just messing around having fun....
Old 05-11-2004, 06:14 AM

i dont look at the rpm when i do my 1st gear clutching..... i go by the sound of the engine.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:59 PM
F*(K Yut Uggh

i dont look at the rpm when i do my 1st gear clutching..... i go by the sound of the engine.
Ive been practicing clutching it up and enjoy when it comes up right. Hitting the balance point will probably take a min. When it comes up fast and you gotta use the brake, do you let off on the gas a little( near balance point) and tap the brake or do you stay on the gas and brake till you feel a change in the height? My questions is how long do you stay on the brake? Or do you just tap it till it comes down a little.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:09 PM

BoostedSi is an unknown quantity at this point

i go by sound also now. When i had stock gearing i used to go around 15mph, i think thats 3k rpms. Then i would rev to about 8k rpms and it would come up nicely. Of course i was always scared as **** when it came up. I could never ride them out further than 50 feet so i started doing 2nd gear sitdowns. I started riding them about 200feet then got sick of it since i still couldnt ride it at balance point. So now i've been doing 2nd gear standups. I can ride the balance point a good ways now(left foot rear peg method). I find it that standups are so much easier to ride out. I never did get to learn sitdowns completely...oh well.

oh and also, with stock gearing i used to roll around 35mph and rev to 11k rpms...it came up good that way
Old 05-12-2004, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by 287ridah
Ive been practicing clutching it up and enjoy when it comes up right. Hitting the balance point will probably take a min. When it comes up fast and you gotta use the brake, do you let off on the gas a little( near balance point) and tap the brake or do you stay on the gas and brake till you feel a change in the height? My questions is how long do you stay on the brake? Or do you just tap it till it comes down a little.

well i dotn got the clutching 1st gear slow wheelies down yet..... but when i feel too high i hit the rear brake but i found out the only time i ride the nice high is when i concentrate on hitting the throttle.........by watching myself practice on video i am always riding the rear brake....... still got alot mroe to practice.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:03 PM

When you guys do stand up wheelies, dosn't your handle bar shake when you clutch it up?
I tried it a couple times and got the **** scared out of me

I went about 35MPH in second and clutched it like i do sitting down. as i did that, the front came up about 1" off the ground , then the handle bar shook... Both times i tried that it still shook(not to the point of a tank slapper). i dunno if i'm doing something wrong, like putting to much of my weight on the bars or what...?
Old 05-13-2004, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Neuby
When you guys do stand up wheelies, dosn't your handle bar shake when you clutch it up?
I tried it a couple times and got the **** scared out of me

I went about 35MPH in second and clutched it like i do sitting down. as i did that, the front came up about 1" off the ground , then the handle bar shook... Both times i tried that it still shook(not to the point of a tank slapper). i dunno if i'm doing something wrong, like putting to much of my weight on the bars or what...?
yeah your problem is plain and simple....... your not clutchign it up hard enough...... your clutching to the point where the front is getting light but all your doing is making the front light............ the front wheel is probably still on the ground but you feel like its up 1 inch cause the shocks decompress.... just skipp all the bs and get it off the ground so you dont gotta worry about it. whack that throttle harder.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:58 AM

haha, thanks. ill try again this weekend.