Need mechanical advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 10:21 PM
Dax

Dax is an unknown quantity at this point
Need mechanical advice.

Any advice is going to be greatly appreciated.

I didn't notice when it started to happen, but recently I have started noticing that right when I pop the front wheel up, the bike starts to pull to the right. Sometimes it's pretty gradual, but it still works itself to the right. I've tried several different things to fix the problem, I've tried leaning to the left, looking over to the left. I've triple checked the alignment, and as far as I can tell, it appears to be right on the money.

As a side note, I haven't had any work done to the bike that would have caused this problem to occur.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:28 PM

b_faulk75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Need mechanical advice.

It could be a tire problem, MAYBE!!!
Old 05-03-2004, 10:35 PM
Regular StuntLifer

Frogger is an unknown quantity at this point

maybe it's the cup or slant on the road for the runoff? try it in a nice level parking lot.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:06 AM
Dax

I'm sorry, I forgot to post that I have tried it on several different roads <i>and the flatest parking lots that I could find</i>. The only time it doesn't pitch to the right is when I get in the on-coming traffics lane, and then it pitches me to the left.

I tried dropping the tire pressure, but that didn't seem to work either.

A tire problem doesn't sound like that bad of a reason.

To check the alignment I measure the distance between the end of the swingarm and the flat part of the axle bolt mechanism. Does this sound like the best way to you's?
Old 05-04-2004, 07:56 AM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

Is your left foot on the back peg, or are we talking sit downs?
Old 05-04-2004, 09:00 AM
Dax

Originally Posted by MikeM
Is your left foot on the back peg, or are we talking sit downs?
Both feet are on the front pegs when I do sit-downs and stand-ups. I have a little more control to slow down the pitch when I am doing stand-ups, but eventually I end up going to the right.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:22 AM

955iDisastar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dax
To check the alignment I measure the distance between the end of the swingarm and the flat part of the axle bolt mechanism. Does this sound like the best way to you's?
Might want to use the mounts for your subframe. Cuzz you also need to check for camber.

Has this just started happening or has it always been like this? Have you tried to wheelie anyone elses bike. This would make a variable so you can make sure you just didn't adapt a subconscious lean. It happens. Dr. Disaster prescribes no wheelies for 2 weeks(to loose the bad habit), if you find its a techniqe problem.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:29 AM
Dax

Originally Posted by 955iDisastar
Might want to use the mounts for your subframe. Cuzz you also need to check for camber.

Has this just started happening or has it always been like this? Have you tried to wheelie anyone elses bike. This would make a variable so you can make sure you just didn't adapt a subconscious lean. It happens. Dr. Disaster prescribes no wheelies for 2 weeks(to loose the bad habit), if you find its a techniqe problem.
That's what I was worried about, <i>bad technique</i>. I went back and watched some film of myself from March, and I was going straight and true. I haven't been filmed anytime since then. I will have the wife video me and see if I am doing something different.

I appreciate the advice about measuring off the mounts for the sub-frame, I'll go check that as well.

Thanks-
Old 05-04-2004, 10:57 AM

JAY D is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by b_faulk75
It could be a tire problem, MAYBE!!!
I agree do a brunout to the opposite side that it is pulling to if that does not help try and change the tire!!!
Old 05-04-2004, 01:31 PM

wrathfox is an unknown quantity at this point

How do you pick up the front? Clutch or on/off thr throtle? You may just be jerking the bars a bit and don't relize it. Are you learning to use your rear brake? Perhaps your thinking about it and putting more pressure on your right side. Just a few things I can think of.....
Old 05-04-2004, 02:40 PM
Scrape and keep going...

not_me is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you workout? Maybe your right side is stronger/more mass = heavier on the right.....

Kidding aside, try another bike. You may have a subconcious lean or jerk on the bars that sends it that way.

Could be the tire also, but lowering the pressure should have minimized the effect