Having Stoppie Problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 02:16 PM
O_Z

O_Z is an unknown quantity at this point
Having Stoppie Problems!!!

I have a 2000 zx-6r. I've been trying to do a stoppie for a while and havent been able to nail it. I have no idea on how far I have to lean on the tank or what speed to apply the breaks. I think im not using the brakes properly . If anybody out there can help me i'd appreciate it.

OZ
Old 04-30-2004, 03:10 PM
man whore

Ruff will become famous soon enough
Re: Having Stoppie Problems!!!

I can't really explain how to do em... i had a million people tell me what to do... but it never made since until I just finally "got it"... it just finally clicked...

But here's what I found.

1.) Accelerate your bike to about 25mph-30mph, pull in the clutch and begin to compress the front brakes slowly until you start to feel the back of the bike rise up. You may also want to pump the front brakes at least twice and then apply more pressure on the front brakes as the forks start to decompress. as all this is happening, you want to be right up against your tank. as the forks fully compress, the bike will want to stop, so you just add a little more pressure, and the rear will begin to come up. take this slowly and you will feel the bike coming up. make sure you WARM UP the TIRES AND BRAKES up before trying these because you will skid you you dont and possibly wreck. ive actually gone over the bars on accident, and when the tail comes up, it will feel like you are going over. in reality, you will only be a few inches off the ground. keep practicing till you get the feel of the bike coming up. you may want to have a friend watch you or video tape so you can see how high you are. when you come down, either accelerate or put your feet down because both feet will be on the pegs, and you will be stopped. the bike will fall over if you dont. wherever you are doing stoppies you should make sure the road is clean of gravel and sand, and rough. DO NOT do them im mall parking lots or any place that has the pavement covered in tar. the bike will slide and go down.

getting the feel for the bike coming up is key. at 30mph, it will not flip on you and if you get scared, you just let off the brake lever, and the bike will come down. the entire motion of the brake lever should be smooth. do not just grab and handful of brake and hope it comes up, the front tire can skid. you ahve to gradually compress the brakes in a quick manner. i would say between 3-6 seconds, depending on how comfortaable you are with the rear coming up, for you to compress the entire lever and lock the rotors for the rear end to come up. i would practice feeling the forks compress when you first start, so you get the feel of when they are completely compressed. good luck

2.) Continue with the 1st step multiple times until you become comfortable with the height.

3.) One you become comfortable with the height, you can then move on to rolling stoppies.

4.) Follow Step one, however you will need to accelerate up to 30mph-50mph. You will control your height by fluctuating your brake pressure. You can steer by locking your elbows and lean/steer with your shoulders. Steering is the hardest part to learn, but with lots of patients and practice you will soon be rolling 100+ Feet.

Not the best How-to but its ok.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:45 AM

CBR up on one is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure you don't have Dunlop up front or another **** tire....get a pilot sport or a metzler M1....you don't want to wash when learning.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:34 AM
O_Z

O_Z is an unknown quantity at this point

FK YEA!!! I got it man, i was able to pop a couple stoppies this weekend thax for the info guys appreciate the help I'll keep practicing and get some pics. Take care guys thx again.

Oz
Old 05-03-2004, 02:23 PM

PavementEater is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by O_Z
FK YEA!!! I got it man, i was able to pop a couple stoppies this weekend thax for the info guys appreciate the help I'll keep practicing and get some pics. Take care guys thx again.

Oz
you'll be rockin long *** endo's in no time. 6R's are Endo Machines!! :YEAH :YEAH :YEAH :YEAH

~jared
Old 05-03-2004, 02:41 PM

zuk_rydr is an unknown quantity at this point

Best advise anyone ever gave me on endos was to look at the horizon and not at the ground right in front of the bike. That made a world of difference for me. I am just getting started myself so that is just my 2 cents.