Switching gears in a weelie??

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 10:38 AM

Voodoo_Man is an unknown quantity at this point
Switching gears in a weelie??

Alright well im pritty much a noob at stunting, but just resently i bought a Supermotard, Its a KTM 640 with street tires. so traction is no problem at all, and i can do power weelies in 2nd gear and bring it up to almost the balance point, but the problem is i keep speeding up slowly untill i run out of power in secound gear and have to put it down, so whats the key? get it to the balance point i guess? and once there what do you guys think for shifting gears, race stuff cluchless shifting or with the cluch? or is it posable to get it to the balance point and then just ride it in secound gear? im hoping to go out and pratice today but any adive would defently be great
Old 04-28-2004, 12:28 PM

Luke is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Switching gears in a weelie??

hit balance point and you wont need to shift. I used to shift gears in a wheelies until i went back to balance. If you want to shift, do it with out the clutch, just pop it into the next gear, but do it before your close to the redline.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:11 PM

steveo750 is an unknown quantity at this point

just crunch it in with no clutch high in the bp. Be careful this is a good way to bend your shifter fork in the tranny.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:19 PM

iwannagixxer is an unknown quantity at this point

keep force on the shifter **** til it pops into the next gear. goodluck
Old 04-29-2004, 07:42 PM

so i shouldent be bliping the gas at all? or should i give it alittle blip and shift up? or just yank the sucker in to the next gear with constent gas on?
Old 04-29-2004, 09:41 PM

emcc421 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Voodoo_Man
Alright well im pritty much a noob at stunting, but just resently i bought a Supermotard, Its a KTM 640 with street tires. so traction is no problem at all, and i can do power weelies in 2nd gear and bring it up to almost the balance point, but the problem is i keep speeding up slowly untill i run out of power in secound gear and have to put it down, so whats the key? get it to the balance point i guess? and once there what do you guys think for shifting gears, race stuff cluchless shifting or with the cluch? or is it posable to get it to the balance point and then just ride it in secound gear? im hoping to go out and pratice today but any adive would defently be great
Shift with the clutch but stay a few grad off the redline (especially if at the balance point) so you don't bring too much power on the rear wheel at once - otherwise you'll be looking at the world upsidedown.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:45 AM

bahamaspete is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Voodoo_Man
so i shouldent be bliping the gas at all? or should i give it alittle blip and shift up? or just yank the sucker in to the next gear with constent gas on?
Hey, I think you know better than that Voodoo Man. Yanking it into the next gear will surely put you on the ground and you can possibly be there for 1/2 a year.
Look stop making it sound so hard, Spank that hoe up in second and sail. Here's the trick; I Spank her up at low revs (usually at around 15-19mph) Set her real fast (find the balance point), ride the point for a few seconds and then shift.
And there you have it Spank, Set, Shift!! The key to smooth shifting is 60% hight and 40% timing.
To shift just blip the throttle, select the gear and get back on the gas. Keep in mind this is all done in a split second, so thinking too much can cause you to screw up the shift.
When you get it you'll say "I can't believe I even asked this question!!
Old 04-30-2004, 07:47 AM

lol alright i figured that might have been it thanks guys