Clutchin 2d gear wheelie on gix1k

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 01:37 PM

secretsquirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Clutchin 2d gear wheelie on gix1k

Hey all, newbie questions suck but we gotta start somewhere. For a 2nd gear wheelie with a stock 03 gix1k what RPM is best to clutch it up. I've only had the bike a short while but notice real power doesnt start til about 8,000 but was worried it would lift so f-n quick cuz it's so tourquey...any advice I promise to lift a nice one on your behalf.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:08 PM

i95leuser is a decent person
Re: Clutchin 2d gear wheelie on gix1k

Originally Posted by secretsquirrel
Hey all, newbie questions suck but we gotta start somewhere. For a 2nd gear wheelie with a stock 03 gix1k what RPM is best to clutch it up. I've only had the bike a short while but notice real power doesnt start til about 8,000 but was worried it would lift so f-n quick cuz it's so tourquey...any advice I promise to lift a nice one on your behalf.
Great bike dude!! DONT CLUTCH IT!! on a 1k man dont even mess with the clutch at all. Get good at 1st gear wheelies then try 2nd gear bouncing it up. The clutch and power on those bikes will not mix well (you might loop it).
Old 03-29-2004, 03:41 PM
Super-Thread-editor

Erik will become famous soon enough

Try posting or searching for a post with this already in it(a.k.a. stunt section). That's the place to find the info. But like I95 said, clutching a 1k isn't the best idea in low gear. I've ridden one, it's pretty easy to do the power up's.
Old 03-29-2004, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by i95leuser
(you might loop it).
Thanks bro
I tried bouncin it yesterday bet 8-10k but it wouldn't get up more than a few inches. Where should a 200lb guy be seating wise, more toward the back?
Old 03-29-2004, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by secretsquirrel
Thanks bro
I tried bouncin it yesterday bet 8-10k but it wouldn't get up more than a few inches. Where should a 200lb guy be seating wise, more toward the back?
Yeah you gotta get the timing right tho with the whole bouncing thing. Its alot easier said then done. You snap the throttle then let go of it then hit it again. and it will come up. Do that like 5 times in a row and youll see it get higher and higher. Said back a little til you find the point where its shifts your weight to the rear then get used to it and go more and more.... Take your time man. No reason in killing a great bike or yourself to rush a trick. Youll get it before long man trust me.... Be safe!!!
Old 03-29-2004, 09:49 PM

BVRider1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Great bike dude!! DONT CLUTCH IT!! on a 1k man dont even mess with the clutch at all. Get good at 1st gear wheelies then try 2nd gear bouncing it up. The clutch and power on those bikes will not mix well (you might loop it).

**** it.....you need to clutch it. More predictable.....what do you think everyone does on their liter bikes when they do 12's and stunt? Get your clutching down and you'll be set. Practice. Practice .
Old 03-29-2004, 10:40 PM

Gix6 is an unknown quantity at this point

u should be able to power that thing up in second on my 600 i usually clutch it up in second at about 7grand. tug on ur bars a little bit it helps me cuz it helps get ur body weight off the front of the bike cuz u tend to lean over the front of the bike when u first start trying to wheelie. just my good luck and practice practice dont rush it, just take ur time u will get it
Old 03-29-2004, 11:33 PM

junebug is an unknown quantity at this point

I broke two stock clutch baskets on my 01 gsxr1000 clutching it when i first got it. I could wheelie but not very good, after alot of practice rollin' em up was cake. I still clutch my gsxr600 but can roll it up too. Get the technique down and theres nothing to it. Practice.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:59 AM

cappy01 is an unknown quantity at this point

power up 2nd much smoother. but not always the best way sometimes to slow.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:01 AM

Thx for all your input, I gave a go last night, sh*t was soo cold up here in NY but I found bouncin it @ like 8g worked (sorta kinda) but I'd accelerate way too much and freak a bit--all my landings gave me bad headshake. I got a Scotts stablilizer en route, I suspect that'll help a bit.

I took some of your advice an sat back in the seat more, damn thing felt like it would spit me off. After all the im startin to think my lower body is whats f-n me, I think I need to weight the pegs more and stiffen up; almost like i was gonna try and rock a standup (which is next semester)

Thx again fo the continued help
Old 03-30-2004, 02:52 PM

robob93 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have never heard of having to bounce a 1K. Twist that fuggin wick and that bitch flies up. I weigh 250 and got stock gearing with an '01 and have nooooooooooooo problem. I just dont think you are twisting it far enough.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by robob93
I have never heard of having to bounce a 1K. Twist that fuggin wick and that bitch flies up. I weigh 250 and got stock gearing with an '01 and have nooooooooooooo problem. I just dont think you are twisting it far enough.

Yeah true but he is still learning and needs and wants to get the feel of it. 1K gixxers dnt *** around. They never stay on the ground. HE will find out the perfect touch soon enough im sure!!
Old 03-30-2004, 05:32 PM

Yeah true but he is still learning and needs and wants to get the feel of it. 1K gixxers dnt *** around. They never stay on the ground. HE will find out the perfect touch soon enough im sure!!
Yup your right, them 1K's got all the power. I guess he'll learn the power soon enough. Then he'll be like "this ***** fugger is insane". That's what I did. :
Old 03-30-2004, 05:55 PM

NickIF is an unknown quantity at this point

I use to try and bounce everything on my 1k, the clutch is just way more predictable
Old 03-30-2004, 06:56 PM

Makone4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Clutch it dude. That bike's got mad power and can power up in second easy but clutchin' up is more predictable. If you pull up on your bars, you're on your ***. There's no need to bounce that bike either.

Try getting to 5 and while rollin' on the throttle, slip the clutch in and out. This takes a split second to do and if done right, you're airborne.

Be careful, cover your rear brake and get ready to jump on it if you grab too much throttle.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:44 PM

Heff929rr is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I wouldnt think youd need to clutch up gsxr, that things got mad power. Whether you decide to clutch it up or bounce the big thing is not to get freaked right away cause from my experience getting to the balance point is scary as hell when your starting out. Just take it slow and eas your way into it cause if you rush that bike will eat you up.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by 03gsxr1000
Yeah I wouldnt think youd need to clutch up gsxr, that things got mad power. Whether you decide to clutch it up or bounce the big thing is not to get freaked right away cause from my experience getting to the balance point is scary as hell when your starting out. Just take it slow and eas your way into it cause if you rush that bike will eat you up.
You guys are great w your tips...which i followed in my own shortbus style; i clutched, bounced and powered. The clutching seemed the fastest way to get her up but worked for me at like 8k rpm or above, never lower(are you guys just WOT while clutchin?) . Bouncin really just made me feel stupid cuz i just couldn't do it. And for the grand finale, I banged 2d sat back in the seat and waited for it to lift.

Oh yeah. It lifts alright. I so was not ready for how it lifted and how fast I would be goin. Which brings me to my next lesson which shoulda been the first....coverin the rear brake.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:32 AM

Dude, PLEASE dont say you wiped out. What you mean about covering that rear brake? Let us know
Old 04-05-2004, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by robob93
Dude, PLEASE dont say you wiped out. What you mean about covering that rear brake? Let us know
almost. scared myself bad enough where i found religion. i posted a thread askin bout rear brake coverin tecniques...hopefully i'll get some more tips
thx
Old 04-05-2004, 12:05 PM
Regular StuntLifer

clutchit is an unknown quantity at this point

Most Def. clutch it up thats the only way to go. Power up wheelies= unpredictable.

Quick Reply: Clutchin 2d gear wheelie on gix1k