stoppies

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 09:45 PM

eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point
stoppies

how do yall do stoppies. all i do is hug my tank as hard as i can and hit my front brake. some tell me they bounce their seat first. i just want to know how some of yall do it before i try my roll ons(hint: i'm only doin 30-40mph stoppies)
Old 03-29-2004, 05:21 AM

a56kuser is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: stoppies

your doing it at 30-40mph and your not rolling it???
you may wanna try the bounce method ( i dont do it) and i believe you bounce on the pegs and not the seat......... after the bounce you apply the brakes... my *** is leaning a lil forward when i do my endos.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by a56kuser
your doing it at 30-40mph and your not rolling it???
you may wanna try the bounce method ( i dont do it) and i believe you bounce on the pegs and not the seat......... after the bounce you apply the brakes... my *** is leaning a lil forward when i do my endos.
i might be rollin them 5ft! big whoop. im concentraitin on not droppin my bike!
Old 03-29-2004, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by eskimo
i might be rollin them 5ft! big whoop. im concentraitin on not droppin my bike!
concentrating on not dropping your bike is just one thing thats holdin you back....its gonna be really hard to keep your bike all pretty pretty and stunt it at the same time...... once you get them rolling you should have someone take video of yourself...... its really hard to tell how high you are in First person view when your first learning....... video playback will solve this problem.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:05 PM

concentrating on not dropping your bike is just one thing thats holdin you back....its gonna be really hard to keep your bike all pretty pretty and stunt it at the same time...... once you get them rolling you should have someone take video of yourself...... its really hard to tell how high you are in First person view when your first learning....... video playback will solve this problem.

well see my problem is that i tried to pull one at a stop light to look all badass. i forgot about the stuff vehicles leak when their still. anyway, i started to pull it and my wheel locked on me. almost layed it over.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:29 PM
Regular StuntLifer

clutchit is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with getting someone to video tape you. Its hard at first to judge the height of the rear tire because its not natural feeling so once you see that you have a long ways to go before you have to be afraid then you should see some progress. Just remember take baby steps. Some people are just naturals some arent..
Old 03-29-2004, 07:38 PM

tach409 is an unknown quantity at this point

from the sounds of it you might not be giving enough brake if you ease into the brake too little at a time it tends to lock up... you should just give it enough brake to dive the front shocks...and then give it more...if yer goin 40 and only rollin 5ft yer not high enough...just take yer time, relax, and let the rear come up
i'm far from being a pro...but it's all about practicing until you can do it without even thinking about HOW yer doin it
take yer time and be safe
by the way when i started i usually tried to bring it up around 60 the tire seems to be less likely to lock up than at 40
Old 03-29-2004, 09:30 PM
FHL
I Chose to No Longer Post

FHL is a decent person

When I do 20mph stoppies I ease into the brakes until I'm at about 15mph, give 1/2 the 3/4 of brake power and at 8-10mph I pull as hard as I can.

Generally locking up happens when you brake too hard at high speeds, under 10mph you *should* be able to brake as hard as you want without locking up assuming the conditions are suitable.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by FHL
When I do 20mph stoppies I ease into the brakes until I'm at about 15mph, give 1/2 the 3/4 of brake power and at 8-10mph I pull as hard as I can.

Generally locking up happens when you brake too hard at high speeds, under 10mph you *should* be able to brake as hard as you want without locking up assuming the conditions are suitable.
whoa whoa easy w/ the braking as hard as you can........ braking at a low speed can be dangerous......
Old 03-29-2004, 10:22 PM

Gix6 is an unknown quantity at this point

whoa whoa easy w/ the braking as hard as you can........ braking at a low speed can be dangerous......

hell ya low speed stoppies are the easiest to loop cuz the bike just shoots up cuz ur grabbing a hand full of brake. good call on that one

i was practicing stoppies yesterday and was rolling like 20 ft at about 35 mph in a parking lot so at 40 mph u can definately roll farther than 5 ft u just have to give it 80% of brake at first then when it comes up ease off a little and and u just have to gentle use the brake to keep it up and remember to lean forward a bit. but never just jam on ur front brake as hard as u can u will either flip or slide out. this pic is at like 30-35 rolling so it can be done bro just keep practicing and good luck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	josh1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	71471  
Old 03-29-2004, 10:49 PM
FHL
I Chose to No Longer Post

FHL is a decent person

Yeah but I'm weak. Okay maybe not as hard as you can, I do it until I feel the bike jerk forward and then a little more.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by FHL
Yeah but I'm weak. Okay maybe not as hard as you can, I do it until I feel the bike jerk forward and then a little more.
i recommend you get that tire off the ground at the very least 35mph
Old 03-30-2004, 02:14 PM

Mhavemann is an unknown quantity at this point

I would try leaning forward a little more when you aplie the break, I do mine at 80 to 90 and they come up no problem then just feather the break, the only time I had a problem with the front locking up or sliding is when I dont lean forward enough. Try low stoppies first like two feet off the ground, usally these will go pretty far then learn your hight after that, this is a lot safer way to learn and if your afraid of droping you bike you will never learn. when you get that and get into highchair stoppies remember your weight will be over the front end and you dont have to give it the same amount of break, just bearly tap it and it will come up.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:29 PM

4doubleOex is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont have a street bike but i found once i tested my limits and looped a stoppie and fell off a wheelie i became a lot better. Because u know how far you can go.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Gix6
hell ya low speed stoppies are the easiest to loop cuz the bike just shoots up cuz ur grabbing a hand full of brake. good call on that one

i was practicing stoppies yesterday and was rolling like 20 ft at about 35 mph in a parking lot so at 40 mph u can definately roll farther than 5 ft u just have to give it 80% of brake at first then when it comes up ease off a little and and u just have to gentle use the brake to keep it up and remember to lean forward a bit. but never just jam on ur front brake as hard as u can u will either flip or slide out. this pic is at like 30-35 rolling so it can be done bro just keep practicing and good luck

i guess thats my problem. when by bike comes up i apply the brake harder to get it higher.