workin on my slow wheelie

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 05:47 AM

a56kuser is an unknown quantity at this point
workin on my slow wheelie on da F4i

sorry if there is so many post on this but i only know of one guy down here that got slow wheelies on lock to my knowledge and i hardly get to ride w/ him.... so anyways here is where i am at now

-Clutching 1st and around 5mph ( havent tried the dead stop clutching up yet) left leg rear right leg on brake.
-when i get on the throttle again(after clutching it up) i am holding the throttle steady and at the same time i am riding rear brake kinda hard...... i am giving enuff throttle that if i let go the rear brake itll shoot up so i am basically holding it at the height w/ my rear brake and just playing w/ the brake to adjust the height and stuff.....
- When im doing the wheelie it somewhat sounds like my bike wants to die or is bogging (but its really the sound of me fighting the rear brake w/ the throttle) from there it stays at a constant speed but still too fast for my liking .

Any tips u guys got??? my idle isnt jacked up or anything.... im just trying to learn slow rolls.... didnt drop my psi today but i will once my cage comes in(thursday? i hope) i will be like fukk da bs. im not running a twelve bar and dont plan to. Oh yeah and my sprockets right now is -2 front w/ stock chain and rear. Thx for n e help.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:09 AM

iwannagixxer is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: workin on my slow wheelie

if you lower the psi it should let you do it slower since you'll have more contact patch.

goodluck.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by iwannagixxer
if you lower the psi it should let you do it slower since you'll have more contact patch.

goodluck.
hmmm yeah ill do that when i get my cage and go all out.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:37 PM

MADDOGC5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh yeah and my sprockets right now is -2 front w/ stock chain and rear.
sounds like you need to gear your bike more. if its still to fast and the revs are bogging down and u cant go any slower without stalling then you need more gear for sure....
Old 03-28-2004, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by MADDOGC5
sounds like you need to gear your bike more. if its still to fast and the revs are bogging down and u cant go any slower without stalling then you need more gear for sure....
its definitly not bogging and i know its not gonna die out cause my rpm is still higher than 4k so i know its no where near dying ........it just sounds like somethings holding it back/ lack of power (due to the rear braking ) just look at emrock he did it stock so why not me?? dont mean to be comparing myself to a pro but seriously why not?

edit: sorry if my explanation of bogging isnt clear but picture this....... you are going constantly at 15mph in first gear on TWO WHEELS and your holding down the throttle to keep it steady at that 15mph and then you hold the rear brake down while still applying the same ammount of throttle......... the soudn it makes there, i am making but its still no where near dying out...... do you understand what im saying now?

anyways thanks for all the replies thus far.

edit2: i have looked through my video collection and found a video clip of some dude on a f4i ( i think his name is ted) practicing first gearing clutch and im pretty sure i am at the same level as him in this video.(he probably got it on lock by now) Anyways here is the link , tell me what you think
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~agriffit/Files/ted.WMV
And ted if you see this Sorry for posting the video up w/out your permission i dont really know who you are lol.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:43 PM
Regular StuntLifer

twist~ROC is an unknown quantity at this point

you have to let off of the throttle, to do this you need to let up on the brake, when you get up and your crushin the brake you need to let off of the throttle and the brake. it take very little braking to keep you from goin back, i used to do that all the time, try to be smooth. bein smoother with the throttle you can find the point where the engine brakes, that is where you need to keep the bike, that is the balance point, thats where you use the brake to keep you at that point.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:05 PM

bler is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by twist~ROC
you have to let off of the throttle, to do this you need to let up on the brake, when you get up and your crushin the brake you need to let off of the throttle and the brake. it take very little braking to keep you from goin back, i used to do that all the time, try to be smooth. bein smoother with the throttle you can find the point where the engine brakes, that is where you need to keep the bike, that is the balance point, thats where you use the brake to keep you at that point.

yah, once you got it past the balance point to where your using engine braking, you can SLOWLY apply the rear brake to help slow you down a little faster..

and personally, IMO, you should never be 'crushing' the brake, I 'feather' the rear brake, if your riding the rear brake hard, you may want to try some dif. techinques...

get it up to balance point with minimal usage of brake, THEN you can use the rear brake to slow it down...

everyone has their own style, so whatever works for you, just letting you know what has worked for me.. good luck
Old 03-29-2004, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by bler
yah, once you got it past the balance point to where your using engine braking, you can SLOWLY apply the rear brake to help slow you down a little faster..

and personally, IMO, you should never be 'crushing' the brake, I 'feather' the rear brake, if your riding the rear brake hard, you may want to try some dif. techinques...

get it up to balance point with minimal usage of brake, THEN you can use the rear brake to slow it down...

everyone has their own style, so whatever works for you, just letting you know what has worked for me.. good luck
i think ill try use less throttle thus i use less rear brake power.... i kinda got acustomed to keeping a steady throttle and playing w/ the rear brake

and what do you mean by "ENGINE BRAKES" is that when it sounds like the bike is idling and your not really using any throttle to keep u up there?
anyways thanks for the help so far. ill try practice using less throttle and less brake tomorrow.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:22 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Tenny is an unknown quantity at this point

engine brake is the response you get when you take off the gas. your bike wants to settle its rpms lower so it slows your bike down. reason you can come down from wheelies in 1st easier than 2nd.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Tenny44
engine brake is the response you get when you take off the gas. your bike wants to settle its rpms lower so it slows your bike down. reason you can come down from wheelies in 1st easier than 2nd.
so basically your saying i have to get to the point where im not using any throttle at all? i was practicing again today.. kinda hard to be light on the throttle but that'll come in time.... today i did my ordinary ride the brake hard but as i was up there i gradually let off a lil throttle and a lil brake..... i plan to get results on thursday when my cage comes in :YEAH
Old 03-30-2004, 01:03 PM

Lotus is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm tryin to slow down also,......I have stock gears and slowing down seems impossible!.....
Old 03-30-2004, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by a56kuser
so basically your saying i have to get to the point where im not using any throttle at all? i was practicing again today.. kinda hard to be light on the throttle but that'll come in time.... today i did my ordinary ride the brake hard but as i was up there i gradually let off a lil throttle and a lil brake..... i plan to get results on thursday when my cage comes in :YEAH
yah pratice being able to ride out wheelies at a constant throttle, like your just cruising along riding but riding a wheelie... then pratice getting it just barley past that balance point and using the engine braking to slow down the wheelie..

then after that, try praticing USING the rear brake slowly to slow down the bike.. to the point where it slows down the bike, but doesn't bring the front slamming down

it's all techinque, and pratice will help I think a main thing to pratice with wheelies, is being able to ride at a constant speed/throttle in a wheelie..
Old 03-30-2004, 10:59 PM

yah pratice being able to ride out wheelies at a constant throttle, like your just cruising along riding but riding a wheelie... then pratice getting it just barley past that balance point and using the engine braking to slow down the wheelie..

then after that, try praticing USING the rear brake slowly to slow down the bike.. to the point where it slows down the bike, but doesn't bring the front slamming down

it's all techinque, and pratice will help I think a main thing to pratice with wheelies, is being able to ride at a constant speed/throttle in a wheelie..
okay i think im starting to get the concept...... i believe i have used engine braking before( correct me if im wrong)...... when i do my 3rd gear wheelie i slowly bring it past balance point and i see my mph go down like 5mph each time i do that..... is that the same concept???
Old 03-31-2004, 03:02 AM

yup.. basically, there's a balance point at any given speed where you can have a constant throttle and having the bike balanced...

then from there, if you let off the throttle, the front will fall, and you will need to give it more gas to pull it back up to that balance point(witch will probably be lower because you have gained speed)..

if you give it more gass, the front will come up higher... from there, you need to let off the gass, to pull it back to that same balance point(witch would be higher because of a lower speed)...

so if you pull it further back from the balance point, to where you need to use alot of roll-off throttle, and maybe even have to use the rear brake to bring it back (but using it slower, allows you to decrease speed at a slower rate) to the balance point.. and thus slowing down the wheelie..

so once you find that what has been called the constant speed balance point, you can use it to either speed up, or slow down a wheelie at any given speed based upon alot of factors witch basically deterine the exact "point of the balance" for a wheelie
Old 03-31-2004, 05:33 AM

yup.. basically, there's a balance point at any given speed where you can have a constant throttle and having the bike balanced...

then from there, if you let off the throttle, the front will fall, and you will need to give it more gas to pull it back up to that balance point(witch will probably be lower because you have gained speed)..

if you give it more gass, the front will come up higher... from there, you need to let off the gass, to pull it back to that same balance point(witch would be higher because of a lower speed)...

so if you pull it further back from the balance point, to where you need to use alot of roll-off throttle, and maybe even have to use the rear brake to bring it back (but using it slower, allows you to decrease speed at a slower rate) to the balance point.. and thus slowing down the wheelie..

so once you find that what has been called the constant speed balance point, you can use it to either speed up, or slow down a wheelie at any given speed based upon alot of factors witch basically deterine the exact "point of the balance" for a wheelie
koo i was all stoked to practice today but my ****in bike crapped out on me......... some electrical fuel injection problem crap.... god dammit why now!!!!
Old 03-31-2004, 01:15 PM

check the lean angle sensor, that has given me FI problems before.. sometimes it comes unplugged, or the little float in there gets stuck from slamming down wheelies
Old 03-31-2004, 01:57 PM

check the lean angle sensor, that has given me FI problems before.. sometimes it comes unplugged, or the little float in there gets stuck from slamming down wheelies
where is that located??? i know the day before my bike did this **** my wheelies where really coming down hard.... i already tried to disable the tip sensor which is above the head light.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:37 AM

it's bolted to the headlight in the upper, near the very tip top of the windscrean..
Old 04-01-2004, 03:26 AM

it's bolted to the headlight in the upper, near the very tip top of the windscrean..
yeah i already bypassed that......jump red and white right? and leave the green hanging.... anyways i was working on my bike for a good 5 hours today....... i realized when i had my wiring harness dangling at some parts of the bike that lil drops of water was comin out..... think that couldu be the problem???i dont know how i can fix that though.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:10 PM

f4rider is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lotus
I'm tryin to slow down also,......I have stock gears and slowing down seems impossible!.....
Slowing down has nothing to do with gears. Ya wheelie aint high enough

Quick Reply: workin on my slow wheelie