Any SV650 STUNTAS (Gearing Advice)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 02:36 PM

SVDragon is an unknown quantity at this point
Any SV650 STUNTAS (Gearing Advice)

Whats up ridas!!! Is there anyone on here that stunts with an SV650? I have been trying to pull it up in 1st gear under power, but I am having some technical difficulties. Do I need to change the stock gearing? and if so; to what? and any other suggestions on preping for this bike?

I dont know of any companies that makes crash cages for this bike. However I would hate to lay it down and trash it. Anycrash gaurd advice?

Thanks, for the assistance.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:07 PM

james99099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Any SV650 STUNTAS (Gearing Advice)

-1 plus 2 equals 14/47. awsome setup 2nd gear truly awsome. gearing doesn't rev the nuts of the engine when on the highway.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:06 AM

twinisin is an unknown quantity at this point

congrats on a excellent choice of a stunt bike. First, avoid 1st gear wheelies, unless you want to do slow stuff. Second, 2nd gear rulles for most applications. Clutch it at 3,000 and let it out at 6,000 and up you go!!! Slide your *** al the way back first. Sprockets Unlimited will make you a 50 tooth sprocket for $50, and it rocks. You will need a longer chain. Vortex has sprocket/chain kits for $145, I think they got 50 tooth. With that you should be able to do gastank wheelis in 3rd (35-75mph), and only drop by 600 rpm. You've got to cross the line of fear, and get it up quick. DO NOT ROLL OFF THE THROTLE WHEN COMING DOWN FROM A WHEELIE ON A V-TWIN BIKE , the engine breaking will slow you down very quick, and might throw you over the handlebars...don't ask how I know, and hard landing will distroy your fork springs in no time. The head bearings are ball bearings, and they suck. Get tapered roller bearings and that's all you need. Stay away from loud exhaust system, you only get 3-5 hp, but you become a cop-magnet when stunting. Stock filter is actually better than K&N, don't waste your money. No cage available on the market for SV650, not to my knowledge. I made mine. Best rear tire for wheelies (and I tried a lot in 17 years) is a Michelin Radial Pilot ROAD, 170/60 ZR17, not the Pilot RACE. It sticks like bubble gum and lasts forever. Dunolp DT207 GP, 120/70 for front (note-GP tire). 28 psi for front, 26 psi for rear.Wow...I just wrote a fukin' book!!!
Old 03-29-2004, 05:30 AM

blastmaster is an unknown quantity at this point

sv 650 = oil starvation?
Old 03-29-2004, 01:56 PM

KingWheelie is an unknown quantity at this point

Wuz up, 'nother SVrider here, I got an 02. I don't have a problem with 1st gear wheelies on mine, without the clutch, I just use the "bounce" techniqe. Second gear is were I'm having the problem, and can't seem to get it. I rev to about 9, let of the clutch quick, and the front picks up a few inches, and I crack the throttle open and it goes back down, WTF? Can ya help?
Old 03-30-2004, 04:26 AM

pull up techniqe, don't need to bounce 1st. Timming and practice. Keep your weight back
Old 03-30-2004, 11:43 AM

iStunt is an unknown quantity at this point

I would probably be the master of non-clutch wheelies on the SV. I can get bring in up in 2nd and 3rd gear w/o clutch. Then shift to 4th and I got 5th a couple times. I only weigh 160lbs. You just need to learn how to throw your weight around.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:47 PM

Hey Fellas, Thanks for all the info and its good to here that I am not the only trying stunts on an SV. TwiniSin thanks for the book man thats a whole hell of alot of info. I appreciate you taking the time out to write it up; its alot of great advice that I am going to take advantage of.

SVEER I guess one of the problems that I might have with my power wheelies is that I wheigh 225lbs. but I think that I will get them down with a little more finess and practice.

James I think I am going to try that 14/47 before I try the 50 tooth, just because I dont want to have revving at 9000 at highway speeds.

I got a few more questions if we could keep this going for a minute though.

1. Power wheelies vs. Clutch wheelies? what are your guys technique for the clutch wheelies on these two wheeled devils and do you have a preference of one to the other?

2. are there any typical problems that you guys have with your SV's, things that go wrong or just a pain in the neck. I know TwiniSin said the fork bearings. any other problems?

3. Steering dampner Yes or No? if yes, what do you use?

Thanks fellas
Chuck
Old 03-30-2004, 04:53 PM

iStunt is an unknown quantity at this point

1. It doesn't matter whats better, it's what works best for you. If you are going for slow stuff then you'll need to clutch it but for highways then you can power it and then shift to 4th if you need.

2.After a lot of high wheelies the front cylinder will get starved of oil and will blow. I would run a half a quart of oil more to help it. The forks will need to be re-done. Put 30W fork oil in them and new seal you'll be good.

3. Yes get a DAMPER, the sv should come with one stock. I would go with a hyperpro or ohlins. Scotts take up a lot of room and can get shoved up your but on highchair stoppies.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:00 PM

KEN1K is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by blastmaster
sv 650 = oil starvation?
trust me, first day out 12in it i blew up the motor.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by SVDragon
James I think I am going to try that 14/47 before I try the 50 tooth, just because I dont want to have revving at 9000 at highway speeds.

3. Steering dampner Yes or No? if yes, what do you use?

Thanks fellas
Chuck
14/47 is the same as 15/50. You already got 15 on the front. if you go 14/47, not only you need to buy both sprockets and chain if you ever decidet to goto 50 tooth, your chain may be to short. But if you change the front later from 15 to 14, no difference in chain length...therefore...two settings (15/50 and 14/50) and one chain. Steering damper??? How fast do you want to go???
Old 03-30-2004, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by KEN1K
trust me, first day out 12in it i blew up the motor.
That sucks bro...believe it or not, when I get heavy on clutch/throlle for an extended period, I put in 2 stroke oil in my tank. Hey, it smokes a bit, but lubes the piston. I had to raise the main jet needle one notch so it wouldn't run so lean because of the oil. I'm not sure if it works, but I cannot say it doesn't work cause I put 20k on it in 14 months and it still ticks like a Japanese watch. Maybe I'm lucky...I will try harder though
Old 04-01-2004, 11:56 AM

[QUOTE=twinisin]Steering damper??? How fast do you want to go???[/QUOTE

Should I get one for wheelies?stopies?any other stunting deeds? I typically dont go much faster than 120mph. Mainly because my bike is naked and I get Blown :YEAH and not the good way. I did get a buell wind screen that helps alot, but its still brutal. I already got my buddy ordering me a hyper pro damper and gearing, plus he is going to rework my forks for me.

Do you think I should go ahead and get the tapered bearings when the forks get reworked or just wait till the roller get busted up? will it cause any damage if they do and/or will I be able to ride the bike home if they do shanked?

How high does your bike rev with the gearing change? top speed? how short is first? and revs. at cruising speed (60-80mph)?

And with the tire pressure change how is the handling at cruising or higher speeds?
Old 04-01-2004, 07:53 PM

bad steering bearings will cause you to wobble, head shake, tank slapper...etc, when you let go of the bars. Speed at 14/50 (1 down 5 up) 7,000rpm = 85 mph, 9,000rpm = 110mph,, but when you punch it, it's fukin' ungodly, 60 to 100 in a blink of an eye. Damper for fast stoppies (iI think), Christ, spindarella, 50/50 ( I don't bother with one)
Old 04-02-2004, 09:08 AM

KingWheelie is an unknown quantity at this point

WTF? You can get it up in 2nd AND 3th w/ o the clutch? I must really suck, cause I can't even get it up in second with the clutch, and I got my *** scoted back so far, I'm almost riding bitch and rider and the same time! Tell me more on how to do that, and did you change the gearing on your bike? I would like to keep the current gearing I have. Could part of the problem be that I have a fully-faired model?
Old 04-02-2004, 11:55 PM

phildoe is an unknown quantity at this point

SVeer

about how fast are you going when you bounce a wheelie in 3rd gear? i can do it in 2nd no problem but never done it in 3rd.thanx.