Shifting in a wheelie???

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 07:35 PM

NorthWestRyder is an unknown quantity at this point
Shifting in a wheelie???

I ride a 96 900RR and ive gotten good at first gear and finding the balance point but like others have talked about, i run out of gear and need to shift. Ive tryed bouncing it up in 2nd and no luck. Im re-gearing it this weekend(going up 2 in the rear) and im not sure if that will help bring it up in 2nd or not? Whats the trick to shifting from 1st to 2nd in the middle of the wheelie??
Old 03-13-2004, 12:49 AM

RANGER is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Shifting in a wheelie???

go to sportbikehype.com it is a stunting magazine and there is a section on the web site that will answer many of your questions about how to do wheelies. by the way you are riding one of the best wheelie machines of all times, it should be no prob to pull it up in second, under power, bouncing or clucting work for me. i hope to put the first few miles on my 04 R1 tomorrow, rock it bro.
Old 03-13-2004, 05:07 PM

a56kuser is an unknown quantity at this point

search button !
There is a reallly long post i made about it.
Old 03-14-2004, 01:32 PM

bahamaspete is an unknown quantity at this point

undefined

When you 've found the balance point and your comfortable, snap the throttle (to near closed pos.) and shift, after shifting go back to prior throttle position if you can without giving to much (GAS) throttle.
Keep in mind this is all a split second move, and soon you'll be doing it without much thought.
I learned to shift way before I found the balance point. My trick was to do it real fast.
Now I'm trying to hold the gears longer as this causes you to travel more distance. Steering wheelies is also challanging and more fun.
Old 03-14-2004, 04:09 PM

MichGolden is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bahamaspete
undefined

When you 've found the balance point and your comfortable, snap the throttle (to near closed pos.) and shift, after shifting go back to prior throttle position if you can without giving to much (GAS) throttle.
Keep in mind this is all a split second move, and soon you'll be doing it without much thought.
I learned to shift way before I found the balance point. My trick was to do it real fast.
Now I'm trying to hold the gears longer as this causes you to travel more distance. Steering wheelies is also challanging and more fun.

Bahamas...... you lucky basterd
Old 03-14-2004, 06:35 PM

dustinbest00 is an unknown quantity at this point

My bike is very particular about what speed and rpm's your running to get it to come up in second. After a couple years I've found that perfect spot and it comes right up(50-70mph). I am going alittle fast, just make sure you don't get the death wobble. Try using the bounce method too. The 900RR WILL NEVER FAIL YOU!!!!!!!!!! :YEAH Let me know what happens.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:16 PM
Regular StuntLifer

rlk6494 is an unknown quantity at this point

SHIFTING FROM 1st TO 2nd IN A WHEELIE

1:Pull out onto the highway in 1st gear
2. Put upward pressure on the shifter to preload the trannie
3. Slip the clutch about 4 Rs and follow through with the throttle
4. As the bike is on its way up (about 9:00) blip the throttle and come back down hard on the throttle and ease off as you reach the balance point

After some practice, you should have your front wheel sticking straight up in 2nd gear really quick, and low in the Rs. Just remeber to keep your big toe curled around the rear brake!
Old 03-14-2004, 11:55 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Tenny is an unknown quantity at this point

1st of your not at the balance point. i hear all day i'm at the balance point but i'm still running out of gear. that doesn't happen. when your at the balance point you aren't using gear. your staying at a steady point the whole time.
2nd dude your riding a 900rr learn to clutch that beast up in 2nd. hell if your decent you could prolly even bouce that ****

its hard to shift while doing a wheelie and not really that safe or good for your trans. normally used for bikes IE f3's that stock have a very hard time picking up in 2nd. just work on getting to your BP for real because then you can just clutch/shift very fast and never miss a beat. if your at bp your rpms should never be going up
Old 03-15-2004, 12:00 AM
I Love To Post!

Sean24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tenny44
1st of your not at the balance point. i hear all day i'm at the balance point but i'm still running out of gear. that doesn't happen. when your at the balance point you aren't using gear. your staying at a steady point the whole time.
2nd dude your riding a 900rr learn to clutch that beast up in 2nd. hell if your decent you could prolly even bouce that ****

its hard to shift while doing a wheelie and not really that safe or good for your trans. normally used for bikes IE f3's that stock have a very hard time picking up in 2nd. just work on getting to your BP for real because then you can just clutch/shift very fast and never miss a beat. if your at bp your rpms should never be going up
yea....
Old 03-15-2004, 12:32 PM
Regular StuntLifer

rlk6494 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tenny44
its hard to shift while doing a wheelie and not really that safe or good for your trans. normally used for bikes IE f3's that stock have a very hard time picking up in 2nd.
shifting in a wheelie is really easy with a little practice and and if you say its not safe then I guess you are right, thats what what makes it fun :YEAH I have powershifted wheelies through gears for 7 years on streetbikes and more if you count dirtbikes and have never had a problem with my transmission. Not trying to give you a hard time man, and I think you are right this cat should be able to clutch up 2nd no prob with his bike, but his question was not how do I clutch up second it was how do I shift gears in a wheelie....thats **** IMHO
Old 03-15-2004, 04:06 PM
Old School

Ice Mike is an unknown quantity at this point

When I used to pull my wheelies up in first I would shift every time. I just got a little past the balance point, and let off of the throttle most of the way, and clicked 2nd without the clutch. I don't know how everyone else does it, but it worked well for me. although I would think that your 900 should have plenty enough power to clutch it up in 2nd with stock gears, but I've never wheelied a 900. I quit shifting once I started doing stand-up wheelies though, it always got squirly on me when I tried.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:40 PM

thanks for all your input and help guys. I can hold a 1st gear wheelie at the balance point no prob, I just want to shift th pick up more speed is all. The reason shewont come up in 2nd is due to the fact that the chain is WAY worn out and to loose. Im regearing it and puting on a jet kit and new filter on it tomorrow. No worries with the new gears and chain! I know she'll come up in 2nd no problem with the new gears and chain. I'll keep you all up dated and let you know what happens with the new stuff installed. I cant wait!!!
Old 03-17-2004, 06:12 PM

Makone4 is an unknown quantity at this point

My 750 comes up in second no prob. That 900 has more than enough power to come up in second.

If you wanna try to shift into second - try doing it right when you bring the wheel up instead of when you're at the end of first gear. Less revs this way and second is more forgiving on the throttle when you get back on it.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:03 AM

CBRMOOSE is an unknown quantity at this point

MY BUDDIES SHIFT ROD BROKE HE WAS STUCK IN SECOND ALL THE WAY HOME SO HE FIGURED MIGHT AS WELL MAKE THE BEST OF IT. SO HE WAS WHEELIEING ALL THE WAY HOME.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	040317215830.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	69654  
Old 03-18-2004, 01:18 PM

PavementEater is an unknown quantity at this point

if you said you run out of rpm and you need to shift. just get the front end higher. you'll never need to shift. unless you do want to accelerate in your wheelies..
Old 03-18-2004, 03:58 PM

bill parr is an unknown quantity at this point

so your gonna learn to shift em'??? get ready to replace the shift forks between 1st and 2nd gear, then between 2nd and 3rd. shifting is very hard on your ****, im not garenteeing your gonna mess it up but there is a good chance. i screwed up the tranny in my zx6r when i first learned how to shift b/c there was nothing smooth about it. once you get it you'll be fine. you have stock gears on that 900rr? i am bone stock on my 94/95 900rr and it bounces up nice at about 45 mph. its just a timing thing, keep trying. and my 2 cents is leave your suspension at stock settings. but it should come up nicely for you with stock gears. just have to find your timing thats all, it takes awhile.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:26 PM
JUST CLOWNING!

120clown is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah bro i ride a 94 900rr and i can bounce second gear all day long front pegs back pegs you name it! the 900rr has a great amount of power and you should be fine with stock sprockets unless you are getting into slow stuff. ok here is what i do.

ok get on the hiway get into second gear get around 5-6 k (try not to look at the tack do it more by the sound of the bike)

then stand up on front or rear pegs open the throttle up then let off

right after you let off give a good bounce on the pegs and open the throttle up 3/4 of the way and it will come up prity dam near straight up and down no lie it is all timing i couldnt wheelie for **** two years agao just stick with it and learn it by ear! good luck be safe! and watch out for the fuzz
Old 03-18-2004, 07:22 PM

Thanks again guys!! Ive got 1st gears down and can ride them for a LONG ways. My buddy rides an 01 F4i and I can bounce up 2nd gear all day on that thing and that made me wonder what's up with my bike?! I tryed and tryed in 2nd on my bike and no luck! I was pulling so hard I spun my left grip loose. Then I felt the chain skipping teeth while I was in 1st gear doing wheelies. I checked the chain and it was TOAST! So she's all torn down now. She's gettin new sprockets/gearing, new chain, jet kit and filter, Frame sliders and the grip fixed. I wont get to ride it until saturday though because the weather is a little wet right now but Saturday is supposed to be sunny and 75, so I'll be sure to give you guys an update on my 2nd gear stand-ups. Thanks again!!
Old 03-18-2004, 07:27 PM

bill parr is an unknown quantity at this point

bro, i ride with a guy that no **** bounces up back peg stand ups in 4th gear on his f4i and slows them down to 30 mph. its a trip to watch him go from 80 to 30 or 35 in a matter of about 200 ft.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:27 PM
JUST CLOWNING!

120clown is an unknown quantity at this point

anytime! like i said you should not have to gear your bike it has mad power you say you spun your girp loose! dam you shouldnt have to pull the on the bars that hard at all! it is more on the bounce tecnique bounce and when your forks start to unload just "goose" on it! i ride with my boy he has a 03 f4I and his wheelies are gangsta! :YEAH but now i got my 900 i am surpasing him by a long ways!

Quick Reply: Shifting in a wheelie???