Slow wheelie launch

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 01:59 PM

Makone4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Slow wheelie launch

Need a hand guys. I've been trying my slow wheelies starting around 5-8 miles an hour. Left foot on passenger peg, right covering brake.

Got two questions. When do you start using the back brake in the wheelie? Is it as you're coming up, when your at the top, just before BP, or even before you pop the clutch?

The other question is this. I'm running a stock gearing set up on a 2002 gixxer 750. When I get the bike to 10-11 o'clock, it seems as though it wants to keep lunging forward and I don't want to go anywhere over 25 mph. How do I really slow them down?

The breakdown - I've been studying my videos and see that I have good body position and the launch looks good as well. Not too fast, not too slow. Just can't seem to balance them up there while keepin' 'em slow. The throttle feels way too jerky for me to stay on it and I let off. When I use the brake, it makes the throttle movements easier but I don't know when I should apply them and how hard. What do you guys think?
Old 03-11-2004, 02:25 PM

dawoo-dawoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Slow wheelie launch

You said it all,i'm exactly at the same point.i hope someone posts something to help us out if they give a **** about some guys how wanna learn how to ride their bikes better,and don't care only who's the most upcoming or the most overatted rider or has the biggest d**k in stuntlife.I hope this whole **** stops soon and all get back to just stunting again.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:01 PM

not7fifteen is an unknown quantity at this point

I assume you're in 1st gear. Try setting the idle up to about 2500 rpm or so, maybe a little less untill you get used to it. Just use the throttle to get it up and then brake to control the height. This way you don't have to worry about the jerkiness of the throttle. Keep in mind you have to be at or past the balance point to keep up a wheelie with the rear brake. Once you get them up and steady you can even slow them down with the brake. Just dont let the engine bog or it will come down in a heartbeat when it stalls. If that doesnt work, turn up the idle a little and keep practicing
Old 03-11-2004, 04:25 PM

Yeah...I'm in first, stock teeth front and back. I'll set the idle up to 25-ish and see how that helps. I'm thinking I'm going to have to make something that will stick out the left fairing so I can change the idle on the fly.

Anyway, when you get it up to BP and past, with your idle up that high, do you let off the throttle completely?

Also, when I use the brake (please remember this is new to me) I pretty much have it most of the way down. Is this correct or is the brake pressure needing to be slightly less?

Thanks for the input, please keep it comin'!
Old 03-11-2004, 10:13 PM
go **** yourself

brian127 is an unknown quantity at this point

set ur idle at like 4000 when learning - this will help keep the front end up - youve got to be handy with the brake though -

you dont want to hit the brake till you need it but allmost always you need to touch it right after it pops up - i ride the brake slightly the whole time im in a wheelie-

heres a video of riding today has some slow stuff
www.kansascity1.com/stuntmarch112004.mpg
Old 03-11-2004, 11:05 PM

not7fifteen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Makone4
Yeah...I'm in first, stock teeth front and back. I'll set the idle up to 25-ish and see how that helps. I'm thinking I'm going to have to make something that will stick out the left fairing so I can change the idle on the fly.

Anyway, when you get it up to BP and past, with your idle up that high, do you let off the throttle completely?

Also, when I use the brake (please remember this is new to me) I pretty much have it most of the way down. Is this correct or is the brake pressure needing to be slightly less?

Thanks for the input, please keep it comin'!

Yeah, you'll want to let off the throttle completely unless it starts to fall, then just blip it back up

If you're giving it a lot of brake you know your pretty high if its staying up there.. If it feels like you're giving too much brake you might check your pads, I'm not on mine too much exept when it rocks way back and i need to bring it down a little
Old 03-12-2004, 02:09 AM

Albgixxer is an unknown quantity at this point

Now I just started doing these too and it's hard to explain. It's a feeling. I almost stop the bike and then slip the clutch to bring it up. I don't know how high the idle is I just turn it up and play with it until it feels right. So as it comes up I feel for it to start coming back over and gradually apply the rear brake to slow it or hold it. I haven't perfected it so it takes a few trys. I set it down on the subframe on sunday and tore my knee up pretty good when I got thrown. Anyway, with the idle up high I use the brake to try and control where the bike sits. I've only got it where I want it a couple of times but I guess practice makes perfect. I hope this didn't confuse you more. Good luck and Post up some vids.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:10 AM

Albgixxer is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, I started playing on my fiddy to learn the rear brake control, helped tremendously!!!
Old 03-12-2004, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Albgixxer
......Good luck and Post up some vids.
Yeah, for sure. I'll post some vids of my next practice session when I get the chance. I think it's cool for you guys to be able to see what the hell is going on. Might take a bit though...I have two sets of take-offs I want to pop first, but I'll get those on video too.

If I run around 20 lbs in the rear, will that help me stabalize the bike when it comes up? I noticed that sometimes it likes to swim back and forth if I don't have my body position absolutely perfect.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:07 PM

Brian....checked out your vid dude. Just wondering what kind of sprocket you're running in the back and what kind of bars you got on that thing?
Old 03-12-2004, 03:27 PM
go **** yourself

brian127 is an unknown quantity at this point

20 up rear sprocket 9pounds air pressure dirtbikebars