sprocket sizes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 08:56 AM

midwest mayhem is an unknown quantity at this point
sprocket sizes?

can anyone tell me if this is a good idea or not? i've got a 98 gsxr 600 and put some gears on it. i went 1 down and 10 up. it made slow wheelies alot better but how about like 20 to 25 in the rear? would that just make it stupid? i want to get circles down and anything slow!!! any advice would help thanks
Old 03-10-2004, 09:08 AM

Jay6 is a decent person
Re: sprocket sizes?

Originally Posted by midwest mayhem
can anyone tell me if this is a good idea or not? i've got a 98 gsxr 600 and put some gears on it. i went 1 down and 10 up. it made slow wheelies alot better but how about like 20 to 25 in the rear? would that just make it stupid? i want to get circles down and anything slow!!! any advice would help thanks
Give MikeM a pm. I am pretty sure he went up a lot in the back on his F3
Old 03-10-2004, 09:29 AM
HERE COMES THE POLICE.

COOKIE MONSTER is an unknown quantity at this point

i HAVE AN F2 AND i WENT UP LIKE 9 IN TEH BACK AND 2 DWN IN THE FRONT.. iTS ALL ON HOW UR CLUTIN IT, I KNOW THAT MIKE M BIKE, HE HAS A 60 TOOTH IN TEH REAR. THE BIKE WILL WHEELIE W/ OUT ANT GAS ALMOST. SERIOUS..I THINK 10 TO 15 IS GOOD FOR THE PARKING LOTS.. U WILL LOSE ALL UR TOP END SPEED THOUGH. SO IF UR RIDING STREET W/ UR 600 DONT GO UP TO MUCH MORE..
Old 03-10-2004, 09:36 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Supafly is an unknown quantity at this point

WOW 10 up sheet thats a lot of teeth. :YEAH
Old 03-10-2004, 10:16 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

WINGMAN is an unknown quantity at this point

+10 is not that much on an older 600, especially if you are using
the bike for stuntin.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:21 AM

DREWdmi is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah dude do it, it will make you such a better rider.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:29 AM
Gas'er!!

TEACH C6 will become famous soon enough

i seriously doubt that adding more gears to your already geared bike will make learning circles much easier...all gears do is allow you to creep slower before it stalls, brings the bike up easier and with less wear and tear on the bike, and allows for engine braking when doing non brake stuff...

work with what you got...the huge sprocket in the rear takes away the street and IS ONLY USEFUL FOR ENGINE BRAKING STUFF....i rode -2+the biggest you can put on my RR all last season, and for circles, nth, etc, i always used 2nd gear cuz it was easier...1st gear was only used for slow spreader/seatstanders/highchairs/etc...and some combos...

i speak the truth.

teach
Old 03-10-2004, 03:14 PM

a56kuser is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TEACH C6
i seriously doubt that adding more gears to your already geared bike will make learning circles much easier...all gears do is allow you to creep slower before it stalls, brings the bike up easier and with less wear and tear on the bike, and allows for engine braking when doing non brake stuff...

work with what you got...the huge sprocket in the rear takes away the street and IS ONLY USEFUL FOR ENGINE BRAKING STUFF....i rode -2+the biggest you can put on my RR all last season, and for circles, nth, etc, i always used 2nd gear cuz it was easier...1st gear was only used for slow spreader/seatstanders/highchairs/etc...and some combos...

i speak the truth.

teach
your doing circles and nth in 2nd?
Old 03-10-2004, 04:54 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

I got -2 +17 and its perfect unless you actually want to go someplace. I rode a similarly equpped bike with a +25 and to me that was a little too much.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:58 PM
Regular StuntLifer

FTPstunna is a decent person

Whats the biggest rear sprocket you can go before having to change your chain? I have a couple rims and would like to keep a stock one on for the track, but then a higher tooth rear for parking lots so I can change the rims back n forth. Also, how does a 520 chain hold up?

Nick
Old 03-11-2004, 11:16 AM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by FTPstunna
Whats the biggest rear sprocket you can go before having to change your chain? I have a couple rims and would like to keep a stock one on for the track, but then a higher tooth rear for parking lots so I can change the rims back n forth. Also, how does a 520 chain hold up?

Nick
I got 2 master links in my chain. I have a few different rear sprockets, 43, 53, 60. I just "open" the chain and add/remove links when I change sprockets.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:33 PM

Makone4 is an unknown quantity at this point

What up! This thread is exactly what I was looking for. One question though. What do you guys think as far as sprocket size (rear only) is concerned when you want to run the canyons and still be able to get that little help from the sprocket when doing slow stuff?

I'm runnin' stock sprockets on my 02 gixxer 750 and love it for the canyons but also love hittin' up parking lots in the same ride. Basically....what size would be a good go between for this?
Old 03-11-2004, 04:36 PM

Jay6 is a decent person

Originally Posted by Makone4
What up! This thread is exactly what I was looking for. One question though. What do you guys think as far as sprocket size (rear only) is concerned when you want to run the canyons and still be able to get that little help from the sprocket when doing slow stuff?

I'm runnin' stock sprockets on my 02 gixxer 750 and love it for the canyons but also love hittin' up parking lots in the same ride. Basically....what size would be a good go between for this?
-1 +3
Old 03-11-2004, 11:32 PM

midwest mayhem is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for all the help i think i'm just going to keep tryin' with the gears i have now but all your advice does help
Old 03-11-2004, 11:47 PM

BVRider1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TEACH C6

i speak the truth.

teach
That's the thing w/ me. I'm real comfy on the 954 w/ 2nd gear. 1st is just too twitchy for me...But I gotta learn w/ the slow stuff.

When gearing like anything > + 5 would 1st gear be useless , except for 12's? The gearing for 2nd should be even sweeter, I think...am I on crack?