I can't wheelie my 2001 GSX-R600!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 12:10 AM
FHL
I Chose to No Longer Post

FHL is a decent person
I can't wheelie my 2001 GSX-R600!!!

I have a 2001 GSX-R600 with Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon Slip on and I've tried to power wheelie but I just can't get it up.

Am I going to fast or what? I take it up to about 9k, close the throttle, and then yank the throttle as quick as I can but the wheel doesn't get off the ground?
Old 02-28-2004, 01:09 AM
Regular StuntLifer

clutchit is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: I can't wheelie my 2001 GSX-R600!!!

Clutch that bad boy, I gave up powering after I wrecked trying it. To unpredictable.
Old 02-28-2004, 01:12 AM

hellcathonda is an unknown quantity at this point

Put that bad boy in 2nd get up to about 6k pull in the clutch rev her up and drop the clutch thatll bring her up HE HE thats what I gotta do with my 600 F4
Old 02-28-2004, 01:44 AM
Regular StuntLifer

brandolb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FHL
I have a 2001 GSX-R600 with Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon Slip on and I've tried to power wheelie but I just can't get it up.

Am I going to fast or what? I take it up to about 9k, close the throttle, and then yank the throttle as quick as I can but the wheel doesn't get off the ground?
have you tried the bounce method. that works well for 600's in 1st gear at mile high level.
Old 02-28-2004, 01:47 AM

Meddiepie954rr is an unknown quantity at this point

There's no way you should need to clutch, you might be going too fast...try bringing her down to 7 or 8k...and you might not be opening it up enough...also shift your weight back more...and sit up straight...and keep your back break covered.
Old 02-28-2004, 02:50 AM

melampus is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd have to agree w/Meddiepie954rr. Any 600 of today's standards (even of yesteryears) can EASILY lift the front under full acceleration w/o even a off/on throttle application. Clutching her will only lift her quicker of which I think would be detrimental to someone at your skill level. Your problem is most probably body position. I know your up in the mountains, and you will experience a power loss, but it still is not enough to stop your steed from lifting a tire. You are understandably unsure of what a wheelie will feel like, and being human probably a little scared of the unknown. You will therefore unconsciously over-weight the front end anticipating the rise of the front tire. If you are not lugging the motor from a dead stop launch, and the throttle is WIDE OPEN after the clutch has been fully bled YOU WILL be lifting the front by 8 or 9,000 rpm... regardless. I use that as an example because it has nothing to do with you trying or not... it's just going to happen. More importantly it will get you accustom to exactly how fast your bike is. You need to be able to control it on 2 wheels before on 1...! Once it comes up, back off until you can get it going longer & further. Bouncing it in 1st I find entirely unnecessary, and probably dangerous for you as it will come up VERY VERY FAST in first. Just understand that to stay safe you take baby steps, and you will achieve what you are trying to accomplish. A quicker and more abrupt yet controllable method as it simulates "clutching" it w/o having to "think" about it is if you bring her to about 35mph in second, hold steady throttle and then drop her into first while snapping the throttle wide open. She will IMMEDIATELY lift the front, and it will be your job to close the throttle in time to keep yourself from looping. I don't recommend this as a way to wheelie once you are comfortable with the front tire in the air, but it is a good way to simply get used to the feeling off the tire lifting quickly w/o having to THINK. Cover the rear brake, and if you feel you need to drop the front and closing the throttle isn't working fast enough... use it!
Good luck... Stay safe... And keep us informed!
Old 02-28-2004, 05:22 AM
FHL
I Chose to No Longer Post

FHL is a decent person

Thanks for the help, and actually I know what it feels like to wheelie, I can pull about 7 or 8's on my 75 CB200 if I clutch it, I'm probably just scared cause the gixxer has more power and it cost about 50x more.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:15 AM

i95leuser is a decent person

Well get more comfortable and take your time homie. You'll get it up sooner or later.
I know a kid with the same bike as you who can do power high chairs on his so im sure you can once you get it going good and once your fully ready. Dont rush the situation its not worth it!
Old 02-28-2004, 03:50 PM

dream728 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by melampus
I'd have to agree w/Meddiepie954rr. Any 600 of today's standards (even of yesteryears) can EASILY lift the front under full acceleration w/o even a off/on throttle application.
i HAVE A 03 YZF600R AND YOU HAVE TO ON/OFF TO GE THAT THING UP!! FROM 0MPH IF YOU OPEN IT UP ALL THE WAY IT WONT COME UP AT ALL EITHER YOU HAVE TO CLUTCH IT OR ON/OFF IT
Old 02-28-2004, 05:02 PM

stuntwanabe is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to give my two cents on what someone said about not clutching it in first. I agree 100% with him. That will be very dangerous for someone that doesn't understand the power or even the potential of his bike. You'll end up looking into the sky after looping it if you're not careful. Ride around on your bike opening your throttle just for the pure pleasure of seeing how fast you can get. Once you get an understanding of your bike, you'll easily find that wheelies in first are simple. Keep ridin man! :YEAH
Old 03-01-2004, 01:16 AM

Lotensin22 can only hope to improve

I learned on mine by clutching it because i didn't want to be going 40 in first when I got the wheel up. To get used to clutching it in first, I went around the block slipping the clutch at different speeds and rpms, from slower to faster. Start out clutching at an rpm you know isn't going to do anything but make you accelerate quickly, and slowly work up to bunny hopping the front tire. After you get that, just stay on the throttle longer and practice bringing it up to a good height every time. .02
Old 03-01-2004, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by clutchit
Clutch that bad boy, I gave up powering after I wrecked trying it. To unpredictable.

Woaaahh...I missed this...powering it is too unpredictable? I'd like to say that about clutching it...When you clutch it, you pull that **** up faaassst, when you power it, it's a much more slow lift...giving you more time to feel out your hight...
Old 03-01-2004, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by dream728
i HAVE A 03 YZF600R AND YOU HAVE TO ON/OFF TO GE THAT THING UP!! FROM 0MPH IF YOU OPEN IT UP ALL THE WAY IT WONT COME UP AT ALL EITHER YOU HAVE TO CLUTCH IT OR ON/OFF IT

I think he meant any of the main 600's...i.e. R6, 600RR, 600Ff4i, Gixxer 6, Kawi 636...the YZF600R is heavier and not as powerful as the main 600's...isn't it? It's closer to a sport touring bike than it is the other 600's...I think...isn't it?
Old 03-01-2004, 11:59 AM

dream728 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Meddiepie954rr
I think he meant any of the main 600's...i.e. R6, 600RR, 600Ff4i, Gixxer 6, Kawi 636...the YZF600R is heavier and not as powerful as the main 600's...isn't it? It's closer to a sport touring bike than it is the other 600's...I think...isn't it?
Well, yes and no. it is heavier but b4 the R6 cam out it was yamaha's racing bike on the AMA circut. It still has the "R" for racing but its just out classed but its better than the katana and other sub-class 600's. But if i knew then what i know now i woul have went with thre R6 or gsxr600. I though whelies would come a dime a dozen so i wanted a heavier bike but boy was i mislead. Thats why they should you let you test drive bikes just my
Old 03-01-2004, 12:42 PM
DNFstunt

Regstunts is a decent person

I bounce up my old-*** ZX6R (1996) @ 5000 rpms in 1st, no clutch. Just crack the trottle and let the forks do the rest. Practice on side streets, not in traffic. You need to stop, think and give 100% of your attention.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:59 AM

poweraddict is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same bike, and I had the same problem you did.

Make sure your *** is as far back on the seat touching the rear cowl as you can possibly be.

I found my bike responded best at 35mph about 6krpm in first gear.

So try it there, 35mph, sit back as far as possible. Load and unload; it it doesn't come up then keep trying.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:14 AM

Insane02GIXXER is an unknown quantity at this point

This whole topic is one of those ones thats one for the ages.I have a 02 gix 6 and i couldnt get and consistency till i clutched it up. Power wheelies take to long unless you got the "power" to get it up fast which on a 600 you dont unless you gear it. As long as he isnt trying to 12 its just as "safe" as powering it. Juast dont give it alot of gas and get used to the wheel being off thr ground before you try and carry them and like someone said, cover the rear brake.I geared mine one down and that helped alil. Just be safe and dont pin the throttle all the way back, youll be fine. All you need is about 2-2500 ropm and alil snap of the clutch and work from there.That gives you waaaay more rpm to work with than powering it anyway. be safe, peace just my
Old 03-06-2004, 12:00 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by Meddiepie954rr
Woaaahh...I missed this...powering it is too unpredictable? I'd like to say that about clutching it...When you clutch it, you pull that **** up faaassst, when you power it, it's a much more slow lift...giving you more time to feel out your hight...

If you practice clutching its far more predictable. When you're a newbie powering it up feels safer, but once you learn the clutch, its very consistant. EVERY good stunter clutches it up EVERY time, just ask any "pro".
Old 03-06-2004, 01:27 PM
Regular StuntLifer

FTPstunna is a decent person

ya, take it slow, no rush. I can bounce it up in 1st-3rd on my R6, its all in timing and body position. ~nick
Old 03-06-2004, 02:06 PM

Gix6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeM
If you practice clutching its far more predictable. When you're a newbie powering it up feels safer, but once you learn the clutch, its very consistant. EVERY good stunter clutches it up EVERY time, just ask any "pro".

i have to agree 100% here, when i got my 03 gixxer i started out doing little power wheelies cuz when i tried to clutch it it would be in my face to quick for first gear, i go around 5000-5500 rpm dont even roll off just smack that fugger open and mine comes right up and just back off the throttle a lil and ride it until the limiter hits lol. but now after i got used to it a little more i put -1 +2 on it and clutch second and it comes up very predictable. i say just give it time and practice, i did and it worked for me. i used to let my buddies get on mine and they would stand it up no problem 1st 2nd or 3rd gear with ease so i knew it wasnt the bike it was me. but in do time u will figure it out.

Quick Reply: I can't wheelie my 2001 GSX-R600!!!