I can't wheelie my 2001 GSX-R600!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 02:38 PM
Regular StuntLifer

brandolb is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: I can't wheelie my 2001 GSX-R600!!!

if possible learn both ways then decide. with clutch though, the bikes comes up quick at a lower rpm to let you ride a wheelie out longer, and gives you more time to balance that bitch out.
Old 03-06-2004, 02:42 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

ryanaka99cents is an unknown quantity at this point

ride the **** out of that bitch and make it loose some weight once you get to the point where it feels like it's a bicycle underneath you is when you start stunting on it.

i had a guy tell me one time that he could wheelie better than me and a couple other guys i was with. i asked him what he had for a bike and he said he didn't right now, but he used to. I asked him what it was and what happened to it (this was in June 03). he said he had the telephonica but he totalled it doing a wheelie. the guy had only been riding bikes for about 6 months and thought he was gods gift to everything. once he responded with i wrecked it doing a wheelie, the only thing i could think to say was.........yeah it's pretty obvious you're better than us

oh and as far as clutch, power, bounce or whatever, i would recommend using the clutch once used to the quickness of the power. i've never trusted bouncing the bike or accelleration only. the clutch is much more smooth. i've always used the clutch and always will, my .02

Last edited by ryanaka99cents; 03-06-2004 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:59 PM
FHL
I Chose to No Longer Post

FHL is a decent person

I've practiced for a little bit, I can't really do it that often because i'm riding with a permit only for another month, even though I've passed MSF and have a drivers license the law requires me to hold a permit for 90 days...

Anyway, I sat way back on the bike, took it up to about then let off the throttle and flicked my wrist but nothing happened so I did it a couple more times really quick and on the second try I got the wheel up for 3 seconds almost to the balance point...

After that I decided to just practice powering on and off I was getting the wheel about 3 feet off the ground.

I don't know whether my bike is lacking spark plugs or something but it doens't feel like I'm getting all the power I should have.. Maybe that's because I'm in higher elevation, but I feel like I should be able to get the wheel up faster...
Old 03-06-2004, 04:49 PM

Location: The Roughest Ghetto In The World (Ramadi, Iraq) USMC
fabes can only hope to improve

don't do power wheelies, clutch it. Less chance of looping your bike and clutching is more predictable. I don't think the elevation will keep you from doing wheelies, look at all the other stunters from denver, and they don't have that problem. Practice practice and more practice. CLUTCH IT! and if you think something is wrong with the bike, then get it looked at. Practice and get bigger *****
Old 03-06-2004, 06:50 PM
FHL

FHL is a decent person

I think the problem was I was giving it too much throttle. I power off at about 8000 and then immediately hit full throttle and after I get the front end off the ground it immediately goes back down without me letting off the throttle...

How do I keep the wheel off the ground?
Old 03-06-2004, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by FHL
I think the problem was I was giving it too much throttle. I power off at about 8000 and then immediately hit full throttle and after I get the front end off the ground it immediately goes back down without me letting off the throttle...

again ride the **** outta that bitch until it's like a toy underneath you, then start stunting. learn how the bike will react under you at all kinds of different speeds. the other thing is you're probably looking down at your tac the whole time doing this ****. you need to get so famaliar with the bike you don't have to look at the tac to know where it is. you'll already know because you know your bike.

if you've just started riding and this is your first bike or even second you need to get to know it. not everyone fu(ks on a first date ya know...........well at least not until you have experience.
Old 03-06-2004, 09:39 PM
Regular StuntLifer

brandolb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FHL

even a little tug of the handle bars will help get the bike higher.
you probally ain't as high as you think. i thought i was high went i first did a wheelie, come to find out i could of brought it back another hour and rode it for longer. i watch my friends wheelie and the tail of their bike is like a foot of the ground.
Old 03-07-2004, 03:52 AM

BelleSchwantz is an unknown quantity at this point

even my old gsx-r 600 of 98 would come up in first on the power.
I normaly would take it up to 6-7000 rpm sit back and then close-open the throttle.
that did it every time. It's really important to sit back !
Only problem is that you have to get the sucker pretty high on the first try or else it wil go down. The 600 does not have the power the pick the front back up again after it comes down.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:37 PM

GSE Mike is an unknown quantity at this point

FInd someone who can do it and learn from them!
Old 03-08-2004, 12:17 AM
FHL

FHL is a decent person

I decided today to **** trying to power wheelie a 600 at high elevation and tried slipping the clutch.. I got it up fast and pretty high so I'm gonna concentrate on
learning to use the clutch from now on.

What's a good RPM to start slipping it at? I started at 6k and slipped it to 8000..
Old 03-08-2004, 12:51 AM

honda4life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FHL
I have a 2001 GSX-R600 with Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon Slip on and I've tried to power wheelie but I just can't get it up.

Am I going to fast or what? I take it up to about 9k, close the throttle, and then yank the throttle as quick as I can but the wheel doesn't get off the ground?

RIDER ERROR
Old 03-08-2004, 10:22 AM

i've ridin a friends 96 F3 all stock and can do wheelie both ways in 1st and in 2nd so I don't think you should be having that much of a problem, just ride the **** out of it and you'll soon be a on it peace
Old 03-09-2004, 06:59 PM

Dj Reversal is an unknown quantity at this point

get used to people telling u thats its u.. because it is.. im in the same boat.. i tried bouncing my bike 290580293802 times in 2nd to get it up.. 03 gsxr 750 with -1+2 and i couldnt get her up more then 2 feet... so my friend says gimme your bike... comes by in 2nd @ bout 25mph, bounces it up to balance.... comes by @ like 55 in 3rd.. bounces it up to balance... comes by at bout 90 in 4th.. bounces her up pretty high.. i was like are u Shi@!ng me... so i still cant bounce 2nd .. anyway i do both in 1st.. clutch and throttle... i go to bout 4000rpms in 1st, and i sort of just rock my body and snap the gas a bit, the bike comes right up, i just get scared when i lose sight in front of me.. i still know i have alot to go, its just a matter of time getting used to the feeling, my clutch ups i tend to go a little lower because its such a quick shoot up that i get scurrd im gonna loop it... just practice what feels best for u... some say stand ups, some say sit downs, some say start in 2nd or 1st whateva.. do what your most comfertable with and dont rush, u still have plenty of time before summer , so u will be able to pull some nice ones for the ladies when u passing them by the beach

Mark
Old 03-09-2004, 08:14 PM

Gix6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dj Reversal
get used to people telling u thats its u.. because it is.. im in the same boat.. i tried bouncing my bike 290580293802 times in 2nd to get it up.. 03 gsxr 750 with -1+2 and i couldnt get her up more then 2 feet... so my friend says gimme your bike... comes by in 2nd @ bout 25mph, bounces it up to balance.... comes by @ like 55 in 3rd.. bounces it up to balance... comes by at bout 90 in 4th.. bounces her up pretty high.. i was like are u Shi@!ng me... so i still cant bounce 2nd
Mark

hey bro im new at stunting to, but i found out in second when u clutch to tug on the bars a little it will help u from leaning over the front too much, i was getting pissed put -1 +2 on my 03 gix600 and was trying for like a hr to clutch second and couldnt figure out what i was doing then i tried to tug on the bars like ppl told me and bam came up nice and high, now i have no problems getting it up to the balance point. give it a try might work good for u too either way keep up the good work and best of luck
Old 03-09-2004, 09:22 PM
FHL

FHL is a decent person

Can someone explain the proper way to bounce it? Do you sit down, stand up?

I did tug on the bars when I clutched it to and it came up to balance point but I let off the throttle cause I'm not used to riding them
Old 03-09-2004, 09:27 PM

Dj Reversal is an unknown quantity at this point

hmm... well your going at a steady speed say in 2nd gear... say around like 5500 - 7000 rpms... u let of the gas, and sorta bounce down on the handle bars to fully depressed the forks, then as they start to rebound up u crack the gas and like bounce up with it and the bike comes up easily... but body position is key, cause like i said earlier, i try to bounce 1000 times and a few times outta it i get it to come up quick.. others just sit bout 2 feet of the ground... its a work of art to do right, but once u get it down and know how u did it, u can do it all day and bounce up usually 3rd also at the right rpm and right bike.. maybe even 4th... or if u have huge sprockets, any gear u want like anything it takes time, unless u are just luck and have a natural motion in your body to do it, im 6'3 220, so i think i tend to hover over the tank and handle bars too much, im going out this weekend with my friend to video tape me, see what im doing wrong, i have really good video of a bounce let me see if i can post an animated gif of it.

Mark
Old 03-09-2004, 09:35 PM

Gix6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FHL
Can someone explain the proper way to bounce it? Do you sit down, stand up?

I did tug on the bars when I clutched it to and it came up to balance point but I let off the throttle cause I'm not used to riding them

try to bounce with ur legs and arms all in one motion cuz if u push on ur pegs it will go down farther. just my like i said im learning to tho
Old 03-10-2004, 03:18 AM

Lotensin22 can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by ryanaka99cents
ride the **** out of that bitch and make it loose some weight once you get to the point where it feels like it's a bicycle underneath you is when you start stunting on it.
Whoever started this thread, listen to this guy. He's right on. I rode my 01 Gixxer 6 for fun, around town and all, and I noticed after a while it began to feel slow. Then it felt smaller, like the bars were on my gas tank, and then it got light. When it gets to the point where you forget that it used to be a heavy bike you worried about dropping, it's time to stunt. As you get more and more used to the bike, and you don't even have to think about what you're doing, you just do it naturally, that is the time to start playing with stunts. If you have any fear left of your bike, even a feeling of "I dunno..." you're going to get hurt. Only move up a level when the one you are at (as a noob) gets boring and too easy.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:28 AM

CBRMOOSE is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lotensin22
Whoever started this thread, listen to this guy. He's right on. I rode my 01 Gixxer 6 for fun, around town and all, and I noticed after a while it began to feel slow. Then it felt smaller, like the bars were on my gas tank, and then it got light. When it gets to the point where you forget that it used to be a heavy bike you worried about dropping, it's time to stunt. As you get more and more used to the bike, and you don't even have to think about what you're doing, you just do it naturally, that is the time to start playing with stunts. If you have any fear left of your bike, even a feeling of "I dunno..." you're going to get hurt. Only move up a level when the one you are at (as a noob) gets boring and too easy.
THAT IS RIGHT I HAVE BEEN RIDING DIRT BIKES FOR 7 YEARS AND JUST BOUGHT MY CBR I HAVE NO INTENTIONS OF STUNTING UNTIL I AM COMFORTABLE ON IT I WILL DO STUNTS ALL DAY LONG ON MY DIRT BIKE BUT IT IS A TOTALLY DIFFERENT BALL GAME ON A STREET BIKE. :YEAH

Quick Reply: I can't wheelie my 2001 GSX-R600!!!