Coaster wobbles..

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 01:51 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Brett256 is an unknown quantity at this point
Coaster wobbles..

Been doing lots of coasters here on the 929 lately. **** is addictive!!!!

It seems if I try and hit em up going over 40mph sitting down the bike will start to hit a mad wobble as soon as I pull the clutch it. Feels like I've barely saved em a couple times. Haven't try'd em at that fast a speed standing up yet. Anyone got any tips? I've tried em running 15-18 psi.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:18 AM
LAWN JOCKEY

standy is a decent person
Re: Coaster wobbles..

I do my coasters standing up, but I have a couple experiences/tips that may help......first, I run about 20 pounds in my rear tire. This helps me with wobbles caused by sidewall flex. Second, I had a really bad wobble one time. I started my coasters in first gear, then moved up to second gear at about 50 mph.......these were good for about 250-300 feet. I kept going for more, and ended up in second at around 70mph, which got me alot further, but I was running out of room, so I don't know how far I could ride it. I decided to try third at about the same speed, and almost busted my ***. I have decided that it may have happened because I let the bike come back to the balance point too slow (due to less "snap" in third gear at the same speed). I never had it wobble after that, so for me, the trick to avoiding big wobbles is to get the bike to fall back as quickly as possible. I may be wrong and I am just getting lucky, but it seems to be the case for me. Good luck! Oh, they are fun as hell, arent they? :YEAH
Old 02-26-2004, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by standy
I do my coasters standing up, but I have a couple experiences/tips that may help......first, I run about 20 pounds in my rear tire. This helps me with wobbles caused by sidewall flex. Second, I had a really bad wobble one time. I started my coasters in first gear, then moved up to second gear at about 50 mph.......these were good for about 250-300 feet. I kept going for more, and ended up in second at around 70mph, which got me alot further, but I was running out of room, so I don't know how far I could ride it. I decided to try third at about the same speed, and almost busted my ***. I have decided that it may have happened because I let the bike come back to the balance point too slow (due to less "snap" in third gear at the same speed). I never had it wobble after that, so for me, the trick to avoiding big wobbles is to get the bike to fall back as quickly as possible. I may be wrong and I am just getting lucky, but it seems to be the case for me. Good luck! Oh, they are fun as hell, arent they? :YEAH

Really appreciate the help dude..What you are saying about not bringing it back quick enough past the BP makes perfect since. I'll try a little more air in the tire also.

Thanks
Old 02-26-2004, 04:58 PM

SmallTownBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

What is a coaster? seriously
Old 02-27-2004, 12:11 AM

C-town Scraper is an unknown quantity at this point

I only run about 7psi in my tire and iam rolling about 400ft no wobbles
Old 02-27-2004, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by SmallTownBoy
What is a coaster? seriously
A coaster is a wheelie with the clutch disengaged using the back brake to keep it rolling.

You are basically in a wheelie then pulling in the clutch when you are passing the balance point. The bike is of course wanting to loop at this point but you apply rear brake to keep in the limbo zone between the balance point and scraping tail. Here is Darius pulling off a 1300 footer:

http://servinitup.com/videos/1300coast.mpg
Old 02-27-2004, 04:51 PM
LAWN JOCKEY

standy is a decent person

No problem. Glad I gould give someone some pointers, 'cause those coasters are more fun than anything else I do.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:26 PM

Spark~R.O.C. is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by C-town Scraper
I only run about 7psi in my tire and iam rolling about 400ft no wobbles
Bump your pressure up to around 20psi and I bet you double that 400 ft.