Wheelin my new 900RR....

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 07:18 PM

NorthWestRyder is an unknown quantity at this point
Wheelin my new 900RR....

WOW! Lots different than the old 600.. Shes a heavy bitch though! I am tryin to get down a good 1st gear power up and its a lot different. What rpm's are you all at when you goose it?? Low or high in the rpm's?? She seems like she's more wanting to come up if I stand up and bounce her, but Im just tryin to get the feel of do sit downs on a new bike. Any help??????
Old 02-20-2004, 08:04 PM
Mac

Mac is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Wheelin my new 900RR....

are you talkin about fast or slow wheelies
Old 02-20-2004, 10:19 PM

gage is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NorthWestRyder
WOW! Lots different than the old 600.. Shes a heavy bitch though! I am tryin to get down a good 1st gear power up and its a lot different. What rpm's are you all at when you goose it?? Low or high in the rpm's?? She seems like she's more wanting to come up if I stand up and bounce her, but Im just tryin to get the feel of do sit downs on a new bike. Any help??????

What year 900? if it is before '96 be sure you run an extra 1/2 to full quart over full. i didn't do that and blew the motor. It didn't take much.

You're from Portland, we should get together and ride as soon as i get my 900 going.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:37 PM
Regular StuntLifer

brandolb is an unknown quantity at this point

i went from a 600 to a 1k and it is a lot different. i could wheelie my 6 on comand, but the 1k, takes some getting used to. i found on mine if i accel. normal (bringing rpms up slow) and then goosing the throttle at about 7k, the front wheel will float up nice and smooth. this is in 1st gear though. i found 1st gear a bit violent so i practice in second now with a bounce
Old 02-21-2004, 12:49 PM

TRH_13 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=gage]What year 900? if it is before '96 be sure you run an extra 1/2 to full quart over full. i didn't do that and blew the motor. It didn't take much.QUOTE]

What happened after '96?
Did Honda change something with the sump?
Old 02-22-2004, 09:20 AM

its a 96, Im just tryin to get the front wheel to come up and its not as easy as the 600 using just the throttle. Im tryin to do average speed wheelies, not slow ones yet. Ive been tryin all kinds of different stuff to get her to come up and the best ive done was in 2nd standing up with a little bounce and just gettin on the throttle. I want to do some power up sit downs and it just feels like she just wants stay on the ground and accelerate real hard, but NO wheelie. Ive tryed it in the lower RPMs and in the High end, still no luck. Im gasin it good and pullin like hell, still nuttin. Its definatley not the 600 and I love it, i just figured she'd come up on throttle a little easier...........
Old 02-22-2004, 12:03 PM

atnuts is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Wheelin my new 900RR....

You wanna get the front up everytime? fu(k power wheelies I used to hit that **** all nite but then switched over to clutchin(learnin 'slow wheelies'<---Nags, happy now). Believe me, clutchin is alot easier and the front comes up at lower RPM's. Roll between 5k and 6k RPM, pull clutch in(just tap the clutch half way in, do not pull all the way in and 'dump' it) with one finger only and the same time give it alittle more throttle(wack it, but smooth). Power wheelies are good 'starter' wheelies, but you can't ride them for that long, unless you switch to second, etc. Sounds like you've got the power wheelies down on the 600. Step it up. You'll be like.....****, I should have done this all along. Start slow and cover the rear brake!!! Good luck.

-jr
Old 02-22-2004, 12:44 PM
Look out for big trucks!!

Rudy-eastcoastX is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by r6_kidd
You wanna get the front up everytime? fu(k power wheelies I used to hit that **** all nite but then switched over to clutchin(learnin 'slow wheelies'<---Nags, happy now). Believe me, clutchin is alot easier and the front comes up at lower RPM's. Roll between 5k and 6k RPM, pull clutch in(just tap the clutch half way in, do not pull all the way in and 'dump' it) with one finger only and the same time give it alittle more throttle(wack it, but smooth). Power wheelies are good 'starter' wheelies, but you can't ride them for that long, unless you switch to second, etc. Sounds like you've got the power wheelies down on the 600. Step it up. You'll be like.....****, I should have done this all along. Start slow and cover the rear brake!!! Good luck.

-jr
Yo- I still got some parts for you, I figured we would ride together so I didn't mail them out. Just wanted you to know I didn't forget, later bro
Old 02-22-2004, 01:05 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

ryanaka99cents is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by r6_kidd
-jr
Def use the clutch, after a while you'll wish you had that 900 a long time ago :YEAH
Old 02-22-2004, 02:06 PM

Thumbs up Re: Wheelin my new 900RR....

Originally Posted by Rudy-eastcoastX
Yo- I still got some parts for you, I figured we would ride together so I didn't mail them out. Just wanted you to know I didn't forget, later bro
Hey Rudy, what's up? hey, no problem. I'm outta commission right now anyway On new years day I went out with my bro and some friends and was practicing slow wheelies when I lost control of this one going like 7mph and I held on, brought her down but she landed on my right foot and smashed it I was laid up in the hospital for 4 days. I'm in a cast right now with 5 pins in my foot. Good news is on Wednesday I'm going back into surgery to remove the pins :YEAH :YEAH :YEAH Bro, I can't fu(kin wait to get back out there! I'm going fu(kin Anyway, I have 2 months of physical therapy and then I'll hit the z50 we just got for a couple of days first, then the F3 Anyway, we are definetly getting together once my foot and the weather gets better. L8r bro

-jr
Old 02-22-2004, 02:52 PM

Tenny is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TRH_13
What happened after '96?
Did Honda change something with the sump?

Before 1996 the oil pump was located in the front of the bike so when you were doing wheelies the oil wasn't getting to the pump so you weren't pumping oil to the bike so it would explode quickly.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:55 PM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by gage
What year 900? if it is before '96 be sure you run an extra 1/2 to full quart over full. i didn't do that and blew the motor. It didn't take much.

You're from Portland, we should get together and ride as soon as i get my 900 going.
While the pre 96 models need it more, you should definetley do that no matter what year ya got
Old 02-22-2004, 03:09 PM

ryanaka99cents is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tenny44
Before 1996 the oil pump was located in the front of the bike so when you were doing wheelies the oil wasn't getting to the pump so you weren't pumping oil to the bike so it would explode quickly.
the motor is bigger also. 96-99 is a 919cc motor. the years before that I think is 898cc or 900cc.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:03 PM

Thanks for the input guys, ill go out and use the ol clutch method.
So around 5k rpms is a place good to dump/slip it huh???

is that in 1st or second gear???

what should rpm should i run it up to when i let out the clutch?
Old 02-22-2004, 10:51 PM

Post Re: Wheelin my new 900RR....

Thanks for the input guys, ill go out and use the ol clutch method.
So around 5k rpms is a place good to dump/slip it huh???

is that in 1st or second gear???

what should rpm should i run it up to when i let out the clutch?
don't 'dump', slip it! On my R6, in 1st gear, I go between 5k-6k rpm. On my R1 I go between 4k-5k rpm. Picture your left hand holding a hand gun with your trigger finger(index finger ) as the clutch finger. Turn your hand like it's actually on the grip. Pull the trigger finger in like you're shooting, about an inch in a half(1-1/2") or so, quickly and release the trigger(clutch lever). Count 'one, one-thousand' while pulling in and releasing. At the same time, while your throttle hand is holding at 5k rpm, give it a quick half turn and hold it there. Hope that analigy will help you out. When you are rolling, about to wheelie, take a deep breathe, relax your arms and look straight ahead. Make sure your foot is making contact with the rear brake pedal then go for it. Have fun and good luck.

-jr
Old 02-24-2004, 11:33 AM

I need the sun to come out so I go ride my new toy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was out for 4 days last week and it was great riding weather but now the rain has come back I really hate the rain!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2004, 09:21 PM

CRASHCART is an unknown quantity at this point

start off rolling until about 20-25mph, 5000-6000 rpm, roll off, then back on harder. It will come up, but be careful. you are high in the rpms, and it will snap up fast. get used to that then clutch it up in second. my opinion, it's safer.