how do i know when to release the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 10:26 PM

GSXR600FL is an unknown quantity at this point
how do i know when to release the clutch

I am riding a 97 gsxr600 and gettin pretty confident with sitting down and releasing the clutch. I haven't got that down to a science yet but I am getting more consistent. I am a little nervous to stand and clutch the bike. I just don't know where to let the clutch out at. I get all hyped up still and from time to time the adrenaline gets pumping and the hands cramp up and stuff. Guess it is new to me so I am nervous but want to know how to tell when I should release the clutch. I am doin my best to cover the brake but still no too sure. Should I learn the sit down first or just go into standing up because of the control difference?
Old 02-14-2004, 10:40 PM

bler is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: how do i know when to release the clutch

patice clutching it up sitting, and just getting the tire like 2" off the ground to get the feel for WHERE the clutch engages and at what rpm you should be at.. baby steps... then as you get comfortable, you can try standing..
Old 02-14-2004, 10:55 PM
Regular StuntLifer

twist~ROC is an unknown quantity at this point

your hand is going to cramp up for a while, now that you are learnin with the clutch, baby steps like bler said
Old 02-15-2004, 12:16 AM

gage is an unknown quantity at this point

How long have you been riding? I think you should just get the hang of it if you are really new to bikes. Don't worry about wheelies yet. They will come soon enough without having to push your nice bike too soon.

If you feel comfy enough, just start them out sitting down. Most of the guys I ride with say they can't do sit-downs at all, but they can do stand-ups no problem. i think it was way easier to learn sitting, then stand up than it seems to work for them the other way around.

Also, it is much easier for me to cover the brake while sitting if you are just starting out. when i'm standing, there seems to be WAY more to think about and i sometimes forgot to use the brake.

TAKE IT SLOW.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:25 AM

sdudgeonr6 is an unknown quantity at this point

like everyone said, take your time and baby steps
-sean
Old 02-15-2004, 01:50 AM

thanks for the tips guys. i am learnin as i can and gettin more confident. guess i have to get past the BYA syndrome and just realize i will eventually come down.

what do i have to lose have to learn some how. :YEAH
Old 02-15-2004, 03:46 AM
I Have Too Much Free Time

bikerboy has a spectacular aura aboutbikerboy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by GSXR600FL
thanks for the tips guys. i am learnin as i can and gettin more confident. what do i have to lose have to learn some how. :YEAH

Listen, it is better to learn slower than to learn fast and make a bunch of mistakes, and possibly injure severely, or destroy a bike that you worked hard for. Just get used to the motion. Get used to sitting down and doin'em...

I was told this by a waaaay better stunter than myself and haven't forgotten....

It was....

He believes the best way is to go is...

power 1st gears
clutch 1st gears
shfit from 1st to 2nd
1st gear standups
2nd gear stand ups
shift 2nd to 3rd
slow rolls
12's
Old 02-15-2004, 06:41 PM

Sneak is an unknown quantity at this point

The hardest thing for me is trying to give enough gas after pulling in the clutch on and its on the way out.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:56 PM

Adrenaline99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just go ***** out man, 100%. If ya hold back or second guess your self, your lible to throw yourself ouf and wreck.
Actually dont go by what i have to say, im just a noob. Thats what works for me though. :YEAH
Old 02-16-2004, 03:49 AM

F4_Jake is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the tips guys. i am learnin as i can and gettin more confident. guess i have to get past the BYA syndrome and just realize i will eventually come down.

what do i have to lose have to learn some how. :YEAH
y clutch if ur standing? if ur not standing on the seat or the tank and ur just doing a basic standup wheelie, just bounce that bitch!!! let the forks and the engine bring u up not the clutch (unless u on a zx-6, than u might need the clutch )

j/k Ninja riders
Old 02-16-2004, 07:43 AM

I always assumed that it would be easier to learn on a bigger bike cause you can just bump the throttle and it would raise. Any truth to that or is it when you can wheelie the 600 u can wheelie most bigger bikes too? guess it is all in the rider not the bike.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:00 PM

a56kuser is an unknown quantity at this point

I always assumed that it would be easier to learn on a bigger bike cause you can just bump the throttle and it would raise. Any truth to that or is it when you can wheelie the 600 u can wheelie most bigger bikes too? guess it is all in the rider not the bike.
well couple of my friends on R1's had a hard time wheeling my gsxr.... i guess they're so use to give a lil bit throttle....... when i hopped on a r1 DAYUMN!!!! a lil slip of the clutch and a lil gas and i was up there........ that is compared to me giving my gsxr600 and good whack on the throttle to clutch it up....... very different in my opinion.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by a56kuser
well couple of my friends on R1's had a hard time wheeling my gsxr.... i guess they're so use to give a lil bit throttle....... when i hopped on a r1 DAYUMN!!!! a lil slip of the clutch and a lil gas and i was up there........ that is compared to me giving my gsxr600 and good whack on the throttle to clutch it up....... very different in my opinion.
On your Gsxr600 how much gas are you giving it to pop it up? Like 8k worth of tach?
Old 02-16-2004, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by a56kuser

I have noticed that too but I am gettin it down now. Just hittin BP and it is true... practice makes perfect.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:07 PM

a56kuser is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sneak
On your Gsxr600 how much gas are you giving it to pop it up? Like 8k worth of tach?
not really looking at the tach but i do give alot of throttle twist id say maybe a good 3/4 throttle whack hard..... and dont look at the rpm cluster when you clutching...... i go by the sound but it is all done within a split second...... just do it early the first time and work your way from there till it comes up.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:43 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Tenny is an unknown quantity at this point

just pull in the clutch, gas untill you hear the rev limiter, release clutch. make sure your in 1st when you do this though its different for other gears.

:P
Old 02-19-2004, 11:49 AM

F4_Jake is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tenny44
just pull in the clutch, gas untill you hear the rev limiter, release clutch. make sure your in 1st when you do this though its different for other gears.

u would really feel like an ******* if some newbie read this thread and tried that, or atleast I would feel like one if I hurt somebody.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:36 PM

You piece of ****..I tried that in 2nd gear and almost looped.. The bike shot up ****ing quick and I busted my *****. Thanks a lot.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:47 PM
Regular StuntLifer

2fast4you is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats why his sig talks about making cages,,, hes tryin to get ya to f up so he can make ya a cage,,,
j/k tenny Holla
Old 02-20-2004, 12:12 AM

gage is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sneak
You piece of ****..I tried that in 2nd gear and almost looped.. The bike shot up ****ing quick and I busted my *****. Thanks a lot.

Dude, come on! You didn't really try that did you? I thought I was in 2nd gear on the Buell once, revved it up, let go of the clutch, and it was actually in first. It was before I knew 12's, (which i still have trouble with) and the truck full of people I was trying to impress looked REALLY impressed until I came down too hard and cracked my small, sensitive ***** like himmingbird eggs... uhhh... Osterich eggs.

Quick Reply: how do i know when to release the clutch