how do i know when to release the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 07:56 AM

GSXR600FL is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: how do i know when to release the clutch

Originally Posted by gage
Dude, come on! You didn't really try that did you? I thought I was in 2nd gear on the Buell once, revved it up, let go of the clutch, and it was actually in first. It was before I knew 12's, (which i still have trouble with) and the truck full of people I was trying to impress looked REALLY impressed until I came down too hard and cracked my small, sensitive ***** like himmingbird eggs... uhhh... Osterich eggs.
oh btw did you find yourself a bike the other day?
Old 02-20-2004, 08:43 AM

Gixxer1k03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just practice, take it slow and you will get it. Be careful wear your gear.

PEACE
Old 02-20-2004, 09:02 AM

cutter is a decent person

What I do on my 600 is sit and clutch it up and then stand up try it it works for me
Old 02-20-2004, 10:01 AM

gage is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GSXR600FL
oh btw did you find yourself a bike the other day?
No, the only thing I found was a ZX9-R. It works for Bendoe, but I didn't want it. I went down to the other shop because they told me they had a gsxr750, but it was gone when I got there.

Oh well, I'm a strong believer in "it's easier to ask for forgivness than permission", but my wife would have killed me anyway.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:37 AM

Sneak is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gage
Dude, come on! You didn't really try that did you? I thought I was in 2nd gear on the Buell once, revved it up, let go of the clutch, and it was actually in first. It was before I knew 12's, (which i still have trouble with) and the truck full of people I was trying to impress looked REALLY impressed until I came down too hard and cracked my small, sensitive ***** like himmingbird eggs... uhhh... Osterich eggs.
Yeah I did try it. I dont think I was at 12 oclock but that thing ****ing shot up quick. My nuts still hurt. I didnt rev limiter it but it was close.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:27 PM

tequilagb is an unknown quantity at this point

Best advice I can give it just go out and practice. The way I learned was to be in 1st gear, rolling about 5mph. Whatever you do, when you start practicing, keep trying the same thing, but different ways. For instance;

Roll 5mph, pull in the clutch, rev it to around 5-6k rpm, and let the clutch go. What did it do? Did it just extend the forks a little bit? Did it just take off fast? The main thing you want to look for is the "jerk" in the front end when you are using the clutch. If your front end doesn't feel like its "jerking up" when you let the clutch go, you're not letting the clutch out fast enough. If it did jerk, and just extended the forks, you need more RPM. Trust me, after you practice this for a little bit, you'll have that front end jumping up like nothing. Be careful, cover the brake, and take it 500 RPM's at a time.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:30 PM
M50M OG

Sonicjay is a decent person

Originally Posted by tequilagb
Best advice I can give it just go out and practice. The way I learned was to be in 1st gear, rolling about 5mph. Whatever you do, when you start practicing, keep trying the same thing, but different ways. For instance;

Roll 5mph, pull in the clutch, rev it to around 5-6k rpm, and let the clutch go. What did it do? Did it just extend the forks a little bit? Did it just take off fast? The main thing you want to look for is the "jerk" in the front end when you are using the clutch. If your front end doesn't feel like its "jerking up" when you let the clutch go, you're not letting the clutch out fast enough. If it did jerk, and just extended the forks, you need more RPM. Trust me, after you practice this for a little bit, you'll have that front end jumping up like nothing. Be careful, cover the brake, and take it 500 RPM's at a time.
The slower you're going, the easier it is to flip! When I learned regular wheelies on my old 87 Hurricane like 10 years ago, I would take off in 1st, run it to about 35MPH (roughly 7,000RPM) pull in the clutch, whack the throttle back and pop the clutch almost simultaneously. The newer 600s are great for doing this in 2nd gear, not first(not to say you can't do 1st of course, but 2nd is a much safer bet until you learn the balance point). The faster you're going, the slower it will come up, and the less likely it will be to flip. Also, most important, cover the rear brake! That means keep your toes over that pedal, and if things get scary, mat the rear brake and you'll come back down. You don't really have to hit it that hard, but it's better to put a hurting on fork seals than your ***.

Always wear gear, and NEVER practice alone. Try to get someone to go along, even if they're in a car in case things don't work out.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:07 PM

GSXR600FL is an unknown quantity at this point

Always wear gear, and NEVER practice alone. Try to get someone to go along, even if they're in a car in case things don't work out.[/QUOTE]

everyone can take something away from that advice. Good point never ride alone
Old 02-20-2004, 10:43 PM
Regular StuntLifer

brandolb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GSXR600FL
I am riding a 97 gsxr600 and gettin pretty confident with sitting down and releasing the clutch. I haven't got that down to a science yet but I am getting more consistent. I am a little nervous to stand and clutch the bike. I just don't know where to let the clutch out at. I get all hyped up still and from time to time the adrenaline gets pumping and the hands cramp up and stuff. Guess it is new to me so I am nervous but want to know how to tell when I should release the clutch. I am doin my best to cover the brake but still no too sure. Should I learn the sit down first or just go into standing up because of the control difference?

someone once told me to cruise around 20mph and rev to about 10.5k and let the clutch out smooth but fast. this gets the bike up quick and gives you time to find the balance point to practice. scary but helped me.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:23 PM

a56kuser is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brandolb
someone once told me to cruise around 20mph and rev to about 10.5k and let the clutch out smooth but fast. this gets the bike up quick and gives you time to find the balance point to practice. scary but helped me.
shouldnt be looking at the rpm man....... its more better if you get use to the sound of the rpm rising and keep your eye on the road.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:51 AM

adaptations is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by a56kuser
should be looking at the rpm man....... its more better if you get use to the sound of the rpm rising and keep your eye on the road.
This is so tru, and i keep hearing people say...pull in clutch and rev it up...

Its all in one motion. When i clutch a second gr sitdown, i cruise at whatever speed i want...say like 20-30, pull in clutch and rev at the EXACT same time...and let out and stay on gas in a spit second...its all one movement...