problems with endos

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 05:43 AM

oblivionr1 is an unknown quantity at this point
problems with endos

hello peoples,
I'm having some probs with my endos. For some reason the back of the bike hooks around when I'm rolling on the front wheel every now and then. Doesn't happen all the time, but when it does I can't keep it straight, and the bike gets crossed up, so I put it down early to keep it from tipping over when I land. Am getting the rear pretty high, bike is a 01 r1, tyres are pirelli dragon supercorsa's, not sure what PSI, suspension is pretty hard, road doesn't seem to have too much camber. Can't remember which way it pulls, I don;t think it's one particular direction or another.

If I go back and do it again in the same place it'll sometimes work, sometimes the same thing will happen. Doesn't matter where I put my *** on the seat, it still swings around.

Any ideas?

Doesn't bother me at low speeds cuz it's controllable, at higher speeds it stuffs me up.

Old 12-24-2003, 06:03 AM

covertwar is a decent person
make sure you grab the tank very firmly with your knees, and try to keep your grip symmetrical on the bars the faster you go the more sensitive look straight ahead too
Old 12-24-2003, 10:24 AM

---J--- is an unknown quantity at this point
whats he know about endos...= nothing..
i dont even think this cat stunts..
Old 12-24-2003, 10:40 AM
Gas'er!!

TEACH C6 will become famous soon enough
you need to LOCK your arms and use your shoulders to countersteer the bike when it drifts...almost like steering into the endo..

good luck,
chris
Old 12-24-2003, 10:53 AM

Well I just came back from a ride. Hands are in identical spots, and knees gripped made no difference.. will try the locked arm thing when I wake up today.. but what the hell causes it? if I knew that I'd just not do it in the first place.

Anyway, merry christmas.. 12:02am in Perth
Old 12-24-2003, 11:26 AM

squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
listen to what teach said !! you gotta follow the guys that have em on lock.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:55 AM

wangsta6 is a decent person
keep both arms locked the turn is caused by the wheel turned or uneven weight and look ahead
Old 12-24-2003, 12:08 PM

DSOG Thomas will become famous soon enough
take that tire off the front
Old 12-24-2003, 12:11 PM

ZANE is an unknown quantity at this point
I've got an 00 R6, and it does the same thing. always to the right. i've asked what causes it before and the reply is always body position, but like you i know that's not the problem. i can hang off one side or the other and it still does it, plus i can get on my friend's bike and be ok. new front tire helps, but i still havn't figured it out. sorry. good luck.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:07 PM
Pimp/Moderator

Mellen_MPZ is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah

Lock those elbows and use your shoulders to steer the bike. If the bike starts to kickout to the right.....I actually dip the front end towards the right......that way my inner thigh puts pressure towards the left and straightens the bike out....sounds wierd but you'll see (you can actualy do it sitting still with the back end on the ground to see what I mean).

Also.....for the height, look at pictures/video of yourself. Your tail section should be higher than your head. If its not....the endos are really hard to correst when it starts to kick out.

Lata, Mellen
Old 12-24-2003, 01:07 PM

Pflepnuts is an unknown quantity at this point
get a steering damper, if you dont already have one. then do what teach said. You'll get it.
Old 12-25-2003, 01:07 AM

iStunt is an unknown quantity at this point
Yea get a damper that helps and also I had this problem and I fixed it. I would put the bike into neutral when I went to do them so I wouldn't have to hold the clutch in and so that when the bike landed it didn't go CLUNK really loud and hurt my cush drive. So I wrote a tread and got the same answers but I was practicing one day and I just held the clutch in and it work. It had something to do with the other hand pulling the brake lever and you'll favor the other side. Pull the clutch in and see what happen. This is what works for me I don't know if you alreally pull the clutchi in.
Old 12-25-2003, 01:29 AM

yeah I already pull the clutch in when doin a stoppie.. tried locking my arms, no joy. at low speeds I can correct it, but at high speeds instead of coming up and across gradually, the wheel just picks up diagonally straight away, and quite sharply too..

Checked my front tyre pressure.. it's 20 PSI when hot... bit low methinks what pressure do you guys run?

santa didn't bring me a damper for christmas, so I'll have to buy one myself
Old 12-29-2003, 04:05 PM

Ahigh is an unknown quantity at this point
Simple advice

The bike is always going to have a tendency to fall to one side or another once you go beyond a certain height. In order to compensate, you should turn the handlebars in the same direction that the bike is falling.

Having a damper and turning it to hard will help keep the bike straight. Bringing the endo up more slowly will allow the trail of the front tire patch to straighten the endo is it comes up. To bring it up more slowly, you need to start your endo from a higher speed as it will bleed off more speed.

One thing you might want to try is to start bringing up your endos at 50mph or so and try to stabilize it at hieght around 20-15mph. From 50-20mph just concentrate on bringing it up slowly and straightening out the steering by letting the bike steer itself at low height and keeping it straight with your arms as the rear wheel gets higher. From 20 to 0mph you can concentrate on steering in the same direction that the bike falls.

As long as your endo height is low enough, you don't need to steer at all. In other words, you could hook up your front brakes to your right foot pedal and do no handed endos perfectly straight. Once the trail disappears as the front tire contact patchs crawls up towards your headlight, the bike's auto-steering will go away and eventually it will want to steer in the opposite direction (IE: it wants to fall over) needed to keep the bike going straight. This is when you have to pay attention and start making steering corrections to keep the bike from falling to one side.

When you get ready to come back down, use neutral or the clutch, and tap the rear brake before the tire hits the ground. Also, braking a little more on the front right before the rear tire sets down will allow you to set down so soft that there wont be any sound at all. This means you'll need to either set down early (5-10mph) or be prepared to roll backwards. I can roll backwards after an endo for about 25 feet locking the front after coming to a complete stop at full height locking the front brake, and letting off the front and rear brakes completely just as the rear tire hits the ground. When rolling backwards, you steer left to compensate for falling left, and you steer right to compensate for falling right. This seems weird, but it works.

All this is the same on a bicycle too. If you have a bicycle with some good disc brakes, that's an excellent way to practice.

I hope this helps.

--
- Ahigh
Old 12-29-2003, 04:16 PM
Scrape and keep going...

not_me is an unknown quantity at this point
I had an 03 Gixx and was getting the rear up pretty high.... It had a stock damper which I feel helpes, besides the counter steer with your body.... Lock in those knees.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:16 PM

crashed my bike off 2 days ago.. thanks for the advice tho. will give it a go after the insurance is all taken care of and my leg gets fixed.

got the crash on helmet cam, will show yas once insurance is sorted.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:01 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Armenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant future
Yea dude-be careful-I got an 02 R1 and on Sunday I went out practicing endos, started to roll them up at around 60-but then-It got to a point waaay too high and I had to bail off.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:02 PM

Armenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant futureArmenian has a brilliant future
my whole upper broke off, smashed my tank in and my tail hit the ground so hard it broke the bolts holding the subframe to the frame.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:04 PM

Be careful man-I really need a beater bike. Hopefully sometime this summer if I can get a sponsor.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:25 AM

my leg..

my bike..

rear ended a car.. dented the boot in about 1.5 feet

leg got caught on the clipon i think.

Quick Reply: problems with endos