Bob Weber Motormouth 10/3/02

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 03:17 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

GautamCity is an unknown quantity at this point
Bob Weber Motormouth 10/3/02

From 10/3/02 - Chicago Tribune

Bob Weber "Motormouth" is one of those Q&A articles in the Cars section. Here's an interesting one:

Q: People whose cars use premium gas don't realize they are being cheated. Most cars use regular so the hose is left with three gallons (my estimate) of regular fuel in it. Thus, the premium fuel buyer pays for premium, but gets some regular.
I stop filling when my tank is about three gallons from full then switch to regular to finish off my purchase so I still get premium for the regular price.
I try to avoid single-hose pumps and also try to follow someone who leaves premium in the hose.

A: We have heard similar laments from fellow motorcyclists and many of them jockey for a pump where the previous customer filled up with premium. (We exercise good manners and allow our pals to go first when the group stops for gas.)
We spoke with some people in the petroleum marketing and dispensing equipment industries who say your fears are unfounded. Yes, you do get a bit of regular from that single hose pump, but not much. The inside diameter is three eighths of an inch so, depending on the length, you get a couple cups of regular, but not three gallons. In a three gallon bike tank this could make a difference, but no in a 20 gallon Lincoln.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:05 AM

Lance__ is an unknown quantity at this point
i knew they were ripping my *** off!!!!!!
Old 10-07-2002, 09:21 AM
I'm Getting Used to Posting

SCoast AStar13 is an unknown quantity at this point
very intreresting