How do you go about practicing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 12:36 AM

sungwei is an unknown quantity at this point
How do you go about practicing?

So how do you guys go about getting better at stunting? Do you just go out to an empty road and practice all day for hours? Do you just try stuff any chance you get while riding with your friends? I'm thinking about finding a place I can practice and just spending the whole day there trying to learn. I've never done anything that focused. I've never gotten on my bike solely to practice stunts. I just happen to practice when I get the chance. But I can't learn fast enough that way. So I'm thinking about just going to a spot I know where I can practice and just staying there all day till I improve. And I'm thinking I should do this at least once a week for hours. I used to just bust a wheelie or whatever whenever the road was open. But you can't (well maybe some people) I can't improve as much as I want to this way. What do you guys think? Should I just keep going at doing a wheelie for hours and hours till I get it right or get closer? Is that the best approach to stunting? I really want to get better. Whatta ya all think?
Old 12-01-2003, 12:49 AM
It Ain't Easy Bein Cheesy

Dano is an unknown quantity at this point
do like you said, go find somewhere to practice for awhile.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:10 AM

Brian V is an unknown quantity at this point
Usually me and one of my boy's will go out find an empty road and stay there till dark practicing whatever. Personally I will only go with other people that stunt #1 keeps you motivated #2 helps to have someone there in case you crash. Also I think going every other day, or going steady then taking some time off to think about how to improve when your not on the bike. That is usually the best for me.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:01 AM
I Have Too Much Free Time

bikerboy has a spectacular aura aboutbikerboy has a spectacular aura about
I often go by myself but many say to bring at least a friend in case things get BAD. But just be careful and know not to go outside your limits. That's all I do. I have practiced stoppies, wheelies, etc while there and never had a drop *knocks on wood*.........

But what I noticed is that I begin to get REAL pissed off when I can't do it after practicing over and over..... But now its alot easier. My thing now is trying to carry it for some good distance and mastering the BP.....

what I suggest as the old timers told me to do is when you start to get frustrated is when you try different tricks. Just keep them varied to prevent yourself from getting yourself in trouble and make yourself learn to quickly.......

Have fun.....

Oh yea, I drove for hours and hours until I found several good spots. I have 1 spot where I can do what I want as loud as I want for ???????

The second spot is ok and is about a 1/4 mile til it hits the trees. This spot is on the outskirts sections for airplane repair but the went out of business and left the open sopt....The air control tower can see me but as long as I don't get in the way of traffic (vehicular not aircraft) and stay in my little 1/4 miles spot in the back then they don't bother me any. Let alone other stunters that come up.

I have another that is very patrolled and is next to a secret engine facility and want to keep spies out from their stuff. So I drive down the road (2 miles straight w/ no side traffic or ??, yea nice, and has 1 intersection that goes 1 miles it self, with no side traffic for it. I go and bust out for 5 minutes no more than 10 and take off. That way when they call the cops I am already gone. If I see any cars coming I'll just wait for them to leave. It is me, myself and I. But is still a not so used public road so I respect that. Then I also go at 100% random times. I never make a schedule that way they cannot plan on me. I just show up.

But the first spot which is 5 miles away, I can do whatever.
Spot#2- is appx 1.5 miles away (nice but have been watched from towers)

#3 nice but only get 10 minutes time. I have more but have not eyed out the spots yet for the haters of stunting.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:19 AM
Regular StuntLifer

lsr740seditz is an unknown quantity at this point
i practice all day but usually someone is with me or i really dont get crazy trying things that are over my head without someone being there
Old 12-01-2003, 02:50 PM

StretchNutz is an unknown quantity at this point
That's my problem, I don't feel comfortable practicing any sort of stunt when I can see any single car in the distance. If the road is clear, I love to bring it up, but I guess I have a mental block (or fear of the po-nine ) whenever I can see a car in the distance. This has saved my *** from tickets on a couple of occasions so I guess it has reinforced my behavior, lol...

I need to go look for a nice spot in the boonies somewhere I guess so I can really get in some good practice time
Old 12-01-2003, 03:42 PM

sdudgeonr6 is an unknown quantity at this point
i stunt solo highway or slow stuff...
-sean
Old 12-01-2003, 06:41 PM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point
most of the time late at night by myself but i like to bring some people to video tape or even practice with me.

usually whatever i'm in teh mood for, i just do that for a while til i'm tired, then i do something else for a while. of if i have a set goal to do soemthing, i'll work on it.

i make sure i at least do everything i'm capable of doing once a week so i dont start sucking at that trick.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:20 PM

Yeah one problem for me is finding a good spot. Another problem, which is probably a bigger problem is finding people motivated to do this. Chances are I'm going to be doing a lot of stuff alone. Like you guys said it's not good to be completely alone if something happens which it very well could. First time I went down hard I was by myself and it sucked.

Another problem I have is I get so freakin' tired! Stunting takes a lot out of you. When you're learning especially. That's why I need some place where I can chill out a bit and recover and then go at it again.

I gotta look fro some New Jersey heads around here that'll maybe show me some tricks of the trade or at least critique me. I think riding with better people would motivate me and push my limits. So far though all my boys just like the backroad stuff. But I"m slowly converting them to stunters!
Old 12-01-2003, 08:11 PM

JKewLr6 is an unknown quantity at this point
i rode by myself for months so only way to entertain myself was to prac wheelies. never sat on a road all day and prac just went riding and when the road open up i would prac. Made a few passes but thats about all. id like to find a road and just prac all day but damn cops are a pain. not many straight stretches around here.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:16 PM

BunaRocket is an unknown quantity at this point
Stay off the streets, get a permit, close a good backroad, and always film, then go home and watch yourself. I ride about 4 days a week, and video is the way you get better. Our team doesn't ride unless theirs a camera on 24/7 because you never know when something's going to hapen
Old 12-01-2003, 08:24 PM

james99099 is an unknown quantity at this point
industrial courts are your friend

Me and my brother go practice by my work at a industrial court. we are the only business there. never seen a cop there. plus all my buddies on night shift come out and watch. seeing my brother bust a wheelie on his 650 savage is funny as crap. I'm paranoid about highway stuff big brother is watching you know. And when you get mad doing a stunt you can't get, just remember goosfraba
Old 12-01-2003, 10:49 PM

StretchNutz is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: industrial courts are your friend

Originally posted by james99099
And when you get mad doing a stunt you can't get, just remember goosfraba

Old 12-02-2003, 11:59 AM

narx1000 is an unknown quantity at this point
find some freinds that like to stunt or help your friends find a bike like the ones for sale on here!!!! if you stunt they will want to after a while. i learned by going with and watching some of the best riders in nw arkansas. they really wanted to help me learn so they werent the only ones stuntin. they would go do their thing, then all us squids would do ours while they rested, and always video tape, cuz watchin someone wreck alot of times sure beats the hell out of trying to tell people about it.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:36 PM

Swank989 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think it's all about finding a solid spot and postin up. I mean, you can wheelie on the way there if you want to, but if you r really tryin to get down you need repetition.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:48 PM

Zed K is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: industrial courts are your friend

Originally posted by james99099
just remember goosfraba

OK, I'll play noob today,

goosfraba?? WTF???
Old 12-02-2003, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by narx1000
find some freinds that like to stunt or help your friends find a bike like the ones for sale on here!!!! if you stunt they will want to after a while. i learned by going with and watching some of the best riders in nw arkansas. they really wanted to help me learn so they werent the only ones stuntin. they would go do their thing, then all us squids would do ours while they rested, and always video tape, cuz watchin someone wreck alot of times sure beats the hell out of trying to tell people about it.
Yeah I wish I was fortunate enough to find some people that would show me the ropes. I've learned everything on my own. Well, not entirely i guess. The people on this site have helped me a good deal since I've been a member . But I mean actually riding next to me and critiquing me. I guess in a way I'm happy I learned on my own, but to be honest I'd rather learn through others.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:41 PM

wangsta6 is a decent person
well i practice in my driveway neighbors hate me cops came before but they cant do anything
i practice about an hour a day but the past two days ive gotten worse and worse
my driveway is about 1000 feet long
Old 12-02-2003, 10:59 PM

twinisin is an unknown quantity at this point
1. Bandaids
2. Water
3. Zip ties
4. A good bullshit line for the cops (just in case)

Last edited by twinisin; 12-02-2003 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:04 PM

twinisin is an unknown quantity at this point
WHEN I PLAY , I put on a stock pipe, even bigger than stock, like a 900RR pipe. This way, I still got a good unobstracted airflow, an it's nice and quiet. People will call the cops on you even if they don't see you, but only hear you. Big pipe is ugly, but if you gonna sit somewhere and play, who cares what the pipe looks like

Quick Reply: How do you go about practicing?