You guys taught me to do standups, so now how do I stay alive?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 12:26 PM

StreetSpeed2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
You guys taught me to do standups, so now how do I stay alive?

Folks,

Took everyones' advice about standing them up in second. I can now get them up around 45mph at my beck and call. However, they're coming up pretty damn fast on me. Once or twice they came up so fast that I almost couldn't get off the throttle. The way I'm pulling back on them makes it real tough to get off the throttle. Also, the way I'm standing there's no way to cover the rear brake because as son as I bring them up my foot would press on the brake, so I'm obviously doing something wrong.
When the bike comes up I can feel the tank hit against my legs. I realize my legs should be pretty much perpindicular to the top of the bike but when I lift the front like that thats when I'm really pulling back with my arms and it comes up real fast and I can't stop it. So, are there any tips of advice or pics as to what I should look like doing a standup. I did a search but couldn't come up with a post discussing the intricacies of the whole deal. Prolly cuz most of you are way passed that anyway.
anyway, any tips and advice on ways to keep em up comfortably and not kill myself would be appreciated. I'm gonna practice 2 hours a day this long weekend, so I'd like to not form any bad habits before they become hard to break.
And Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:27 PM

twinisin is an unknown quantity at this point
hey, I'm in the same boat, just different lake. Cannot figure out the part about covering the rear brake, but I did learn something neat: if you lower you shifter and rear brake, it almost makes it possible to go from 2nd to 3rd, and even slow down...sometimes. You can practice wheelies for 2 hours, WOW!!! I'm usually wiped out after 45 min.
Old 11-28-2003, 12:18 AM

StreetSpeed2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, I practice in 2 1 hour sessions. Also, tonight I figured out how to have my foot over the rear brake while still not touching it. Also, I figured out the most comfotrable way for me to learn was to pull back on the wheelie til it's to a height that I'm comfortable with and then I shift my weight forward to stop it from coming up and then I can ride it out at a comfortable height. So, I think I've made alot of progress tonight. Seems to me I'll be riding them out for quite aways by the time I go back to NY for Christmas (December 17th)
Old 11-29-2003, 02:32 PM

Brian V is an unknown quantity at this point
seems like you got it now. just keep your *** over the rear till you get the wheelie to balance then level it off. plus your never as high as you think you are.lol
Old 11-29-2003, 03:19 PM

BunaRocket is an unknown quantity at this point
Video tape your self at all times, Go home and study that tape. I study my tapes for hours after every practice session we do. The best way to get better is to see yourself on film, cause he's right, your never as high as you think you are