Help me wheelie my gsxr 600 :)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 09:36 PM

shiny side up is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, I went out today and tried doing 2nd gear wheelies. I still can't get the hang of it. I think it is more mental than anything else. I can definately see how bouncing and clutching at the same time will bring the bike up, but I think I need to pull up the skirt and just do it. I am thinking of going -1 on the front sprocket and +2 on the rear. Does anyone think that will help bring it up faster? I am trying to get away from having to really bounce on the bike or pull on the bars, it just seems like the bike is to unstable that way.

To answer "STATION", I bring the bike to it's BP in 1st and I do use the clutch like a normal gear change into 2nd. Don't get me wrong it is definately a speed shift though. I don't know if this is the proper way, but it's the way that works for me. It seems that by using the clutch, it drops the front of the bike just enough for me to make the gear change and get rite back on it again.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:49 PM

a56kuser is an unknown quantity at this point
well you dont neccessarily need sprockets.......... but since you said yoiu can ride 1st gear BALANCE points then riding wheelies w/ that amount of twitchness shouldnt be a problem....... yeah slap on those sprockets cause all you seem having trouble from is getting off the ground.........but im not denying you got 1st balance point but i didnt get that **** down till after i learned 2nd gear stuff.....pics would be great.
Old 11-30-2003, 10:37 PM

I might have worded it wrong. I bring the bike to its balancing point for just enough time to make the gear change. I think thats why I am able to use the clutch. As soon as I hit the BP, or what I think is the BP, I shift into 2nd. I can't ride the balancing point. I wish I could though, I am just starting to try and use brake control, but thats a whole other forum in its self. You are rite though, I am just having trouble getting the tire off the ground. I should also mention that this is the first time trying stand ups as well. Thats why I am saying that I think I need to pull up the skirt. I have to get used to the feeling of the bike coming up in a stand up position. Is it possible to do sit downs and clutch it up in 2nd?Do you still think that I should change the sprockets? and if so do you think the -1 +2 combo is a wise one?? About the pictures, we usually take video footage of us practicing, but I just got a digital camera so hopefully I will have pics soon. It just started snowing up here yesterday, but I will still be riding untill they start salting the roads.:YEAH
Old 11-30-2003, 10:50 PM

Jeryd is an unknown quantity at this point
dude i know that every1 says it is wrong but how i learned was in first gear just standing up and wheeling clutchin just a lil and tryin to ride it out in first that way i got the basics of a "stand up feel"

every1 says this is wrong but thats how i learned and thats how i taught my buddy to do them and he got it right away then so i dunno try it if you want
Old 11-30-2003, 10:54 PM

I should reword that. It is starting to get real cold, which doesn't bother me, but we had our first site of snow yesterday. Once they lay the salt down the bike gets put away.
Old 11-30-2003, 10:57 PM

cstmgsxr is an unknown quantity at this point
i agree with johnyjohn i started in first to, i got the feel for what was going on, then progressed, if you go -1/+2 you will be satisfied, but let me tell you, i got -1 front and thats it, my bike is way heavier than yours and its carberated, so more twitchy i have rode a newer gix and since i learned on mine a newer gix will come right up any way you want it in any gear with out special gearing, its all in the technic
Old 11-30-2003, 10:58 PM

hey what part of north east pa are you in? im in beaver ever heard of it? i will get together with you if you want and show you how, i have taught many people in the past and am always willing to help out another rider anytime!!
Old 11-30-2003, 10:59 PM

just wait till i start making some bars, and cages, **** i will have the market on lockdown, 12 bars $40, cages $50...
Old 11-30-2003, 11:00 PM

Thanks "johnyjohn"! I will give it a try the next time I get out there. I will be sure to cover the back break though, just in case. I really don't feel like looping it.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:24 PM

Hey, "cstmgsxr". I have not heard of Beaver, PA. I live close to Stroudsburg, which is about 20 minutes away from the New Jersey border. If you are anywhere close PM me. I am always willing to ride and would appreciate the help.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:03 AM

my bad im north west
Old 12-01-2003, 01:56 AM

a56kuser is an unknown quantity at this point
well instaed of clutching it up in 1st why dont you power it up in first? yyou shouldnt need sprockets yet......... its only gonna make it twitchier. but once you get that throttle control down then slap on whatever sprocket you like.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:31 AM

STATION is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats all I have being doing is power wheelies it works fine for me. But like the other guy I just need to grab my ***** and find the balance point.

I did power wheelies on my stock 03 Gixxer 600 if that means anything. It seems more consistant and less likely to loop on me but thats my opinion.
Old 12-05-2003, 03:16 AM

romeonthahonda is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down

IN 2ND GO AROUND 50-55MPH AND PULL IN THE CLUTH DONT REV THE **** OUT OF IT BUT GIVE IT SOME GAS LET THE CLUTH OUT AND PULL UP AT THE SAME TIME IT SHOULD COME UP REMBER MAKE SURE YOUR TRIE IS WARM OR YOU WELL SPIN OUT.