Gotta Standup Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 01:30 PM

WrecklessR6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Gotta Standup Question

Hey i have a 03 R6, I just got a question about standups.. From what my buddy says clutching my R6 comes up way to fast, he doesnt know if its because of the short wheelbase or whatnot.. But I notice that when i clutch it, it really does come up super fast.. Anyone with 03 R6's got any input of where to start? I can hop them up fairly good, and im messing around with trying to stand up.. Any input would be great! Thanks!
Old 11-21-2003, 01:51 PM

Highdiver is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't think the bike is the problem here. Adjust your clutch technique to suit the bike.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:11 PM

sdudgeonr6 is an unknown quantity at this point
i clutch my up as hard and fast a posible on a 2001 R6
-sean
Old 11-21-2003, 08:25 PM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point
you want it to come up hard and fast, you just gotta get used to controling it. the faster it comes up the less speed you gain when wheelying.

just cover the brake.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:46 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Tenny is an unknown quantity at this point
When i wheelie i almost always clutch because its the same every time. Mine comes up FAST, but it doesn't feel bad. ocasionally i'll scare myself and hit the brake but if your not comeing up so fast your coming over then your all good.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:38 PM
back in the saddle again

yep, a lot of the time letting off the throttle will save it, but using the brake definately does the job.
Old 11-22-2003, 08:13 PM

ryde_19 is an unknown quantity at this point
if its coming up too fast, and your trying it in 1st or 2nd, than bring it up in 2nd or 3rd it will slow down. Or just dont clutch it so hard, clutch it enough to pop the tire up a few feet and than throttle it up the rest. Goodluck
Old 11-22-2003, 11:27 PM

CrazyAssKracka is an unknown quantity at this point
From what I have seen from friends r6's, they do come up real fast but thats the way it should be, Atleast doing a standup if you can't get it back down in time, you can jump off the back and run to pick up your bike.
Old 11-22-2003, 11:40 PM
back in the saddle again

Originally posted by stuntnewby
From what I have seen from friends r6's, they do come up real fast but thats the way it should be, Atleast doing a standup if you can't get it back down in time, you can jump off the back and run to pick up your bike.
i'm not sure about you, but i sure as **** can't run 50mph!
Old 11-23-2003, 04:11 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Rich-NY is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by binder929rr
i'm not sure about you, but i sure as **** can't run 50mph!
Thats why last time I crashed I tried to start running at around 30 instead of 50mph.

Still didn't work.
Old 11-23-2003, 06:54 AM
back in the saddle again

Originally posted by Rich-NY
Thats why last time I crashed I tried to start running at around 30 instead of 50mph.

Still didn't work.
tuck and roll and you won't break your legs or tear ligaments in your knees.
Old 11-23-2003, 11:58 AM

crazymike is an unknown quantity at this point
DONT JUMP OFF! HEY I HAVE AN 03 R1 AND I USE TO POWER WHELELLIE IT BUT A BUDDY TURNED ME ON TO CLUTCHING IT. MAN IT HAS MADE A WHOLE LOT OF DIFFERANCE. JUST BE CAREFULL ALMOSTLOOPED IT A FEW TIMES. JUST START OFF YOUR RPMS LOW AND WORK YOUR WAY UP.
Old 11-23-2003, 03:42 PM

R1-up is an unknown quantity at this point
I also have an 03 R1 and have been working on first and second gear wheelies. I can get it up high in first but I'm basically just throttling it up and I haven't found out where to balance it yet 'cause it's very touchy on the throttle in first. In Second I'm bouncing it up at around 6500 rpm's and it comes up about a foot and a half.

Please any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance..
"D"
Old 11-25-2003, 12:14 PM

WrecklessR6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey thanks for the replies guys.. Right now its really sketchy clutching.. because its pretty cold where i am and when i clutch it sometimes the tire grips, and sometimes it burns.. But im more trying now to clutch it in 2cd gear going fairly fast.. around 40mph. I'm a tall guy 6'5" and it seems to me like when i stand up the handle bars are so low the bike just wants to go out from under me.. Maybe im not just completely used to it yet but any info/techniques you guys have will be helpful.. thanks!
Old 11-25-2003, 12:39 PM
back in the saddle again

Originally posted by WrecklessR6
Hey thanks for the replies guys.. Right now its really sketchy clutching.. because its pretty cold where i am and when i clutch it sometimes the tire grips, and sometimes it burns.. But im more trying now to clutch it in 2cd gear going fairly fast.. around 40mph. I'm a tall guy 6'5" and it seems to me like when i stand up the handle bars are so low the bike just wants to go out from under me.. Maybe im not just completely used to it yet but any info/techniques you guys have will be helpful.. thanks!
it was 19 degrees here last night and i was clutching up first gear slow stuff. you gotta warm your tires up and go easy, don't just dump the clutch.

clutching is safer and easier, trust me....just takes time to get used to it. if you are spinning the tire, you are hammering the throttle too hard and letting the clutch out too hard. it should be a smooth fast action.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:41 PM

sleezyc is an unknown quantity at this point
R1-up

No need to bounce a r1 in 2cd. clutching it up between 35-50 mph works pretty good. if your not comfortable with clutch, then use all throttle. about 65mph shut throttle of then get back in to it hard real quick. make sure you are sitting back in the seat and do not lean forward to the bike as it comes up. sit up and let the bike come up to you. it'll start coming up slow at first then quickly the higher it gets. bp pretty high on r1, becareful throttle gets touchy near bp. My buddy uses this technique on his 02 r1. he does pretty good with it- rides it out a mile or so sitdown. me , i prefer cluth- but power throttle is easier to learn
oh yea, practice over and over. give it time it'll come
good luck!
Old 11-27-2003, 01:13 PM

Thanks Sleezy I'll practice clutching it up in second. I'm just taking baby steps so I don't get hurt and try to keep the bike mint.
Old 11-27-2003, 01:23 PM

crazymike is an unknown quantity at this point
hey if you want to stunt your r1, expect to trash it. mine is starting to look pretty rough. I do reccomend clucthing over power its easier to control. but take your time, i still about loop mine, its very touchy when you get it up there.
Old 11-27-2003, 04:44 PM

yeah but I'm gonna do everything I can to keep the bike pretty.

Now when you clutch up first gear you basically dump the clutch as you throttle it right???

You don't rev and dump do you?
Old 11-27-2003, 09:52 PM
back in the saddle again

Originally posted by R1-up
yeah but I'm gonna do everything I can to keep the bike pretty.

Now when you clutch up first gear you basically dump the clutch as you throttle it right???

You don't rev and dump do you?
you don't dump it, you ride the clutch, it's fast, almost like dumping it, but if you dump it the tire will jsut break loose. you have to be smooth at it. it'll take a while to get used to your bike.

Quick Reply: Gotta Standup Question