TL1000R 2nd gear wheelie

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 10:19 PM

blacksheepy is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry TL1000R 2nd gear wheelie

Ok. I have a tl1000r, super torquey, and i have been working on my wheelies. i just sit back a little and crack the throttle open and boom, up the front comes. after alot of practice, i can now ride it out to the rev limiter and sit it down gentley. i want to do it at higer speeds, but when i try and grab second gear, the front drops before i get it shifted. if i try and just throttle it up in second, it wont just power wheelie it, and i'm leary of trying it with the clutch, for fear of looping it.

first gear gets me up about 45 km/hr and i hit the rev limiter and have to set it down about 100 km/hr, how do i keep it going to highway speeds!!??

please help!

Blacksheepy
Old 10-10-2003, 11:21 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Rich-NY is an unknown quantity at this point
as far as clutching it and looping. I think you have more of a chance of looping while shifting from first to second, than you do clutching it up in sec.

just start small when clutching. Give it some gas see what happens. It probably wont come up cause you not giving it enough, then just go higher and higher in the rpm's till you find the right spot.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:18 PM

DetroitStyle is a decent person
I had to give my TLR a tug on the bars in second. Fat bastard that it was... but a tug and some gas and it should come up in 2nd around 70-75mph...

PS. I agree, if you're new to it... you're more likely to loop it shifting gears, than clutching it up. I was like you, leary of clutch wheelies.... so I never did them. Then, I realized I was going to have to. I learned it in about an hour. Start off small, and gradually work up to it, and you'll get it.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:10 PM

nubstar is an unknown quantity at this point
just clutch 2nd - go about 40mph{every bike is different}let off da gas pull in da clutch give it gas and let out of clutch same time {this should be within a frac. of a sec.} - should come up
Old 10-13-2003, 03:10 PM

nubstar is an unknown quantity at this point
o yea cover break -
Old 10-14-2003, 10:18 AM

jay-dubb is an unknown quantity at this point
Dude, my boy rides a TL, and it comes up unbelievably easy. Just stand up and crack it in 2nd.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:06 AM

hobbs is an unknown quantity at this point
nice
Old 10-15-2003, 04:44 PM

blacksheepy is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks for the input guys. i have been trying to shift it in second while its up, and i have been getting it in to gear no prob while the wheel was still up in the air, but i think im going too slow cause the bike is too low in the powerband when it hits second to hold the wheel up, it just bogs and drops the front. i did try standing up and doing it once,l but my *** hit the solo seat cowl and busted it off. now i have the passenger seat on though, so i will try that again. can someone please walk me through a step by step "clutching" it up wheelie.

get going in secong gear..?
aprox 5-6000 rpm (half redline)
now do i roll off the throttle, pull in the clutch, rev it and dump the clutch, or just hold the throttle open in "pop" the clutch ie. just slip it in and out real quick.

thanks guys

Blacksheepy
Old 10-15-2003, 05:02 PM
Super-Thread-editor

Erik will become famous soon enough
That can't be good on the gears popping it into 2nd like that. I'd use the technique of starting around 40mph(it's like 70 Km/h for you). and pull the clutch in.....put the throttle at a decent setting, and then just release the clutch. If it pulls up, you've found it, if it bogs, add more throttle next time. It's really a trial and error process for everyones personal riding style, body weight, and riding position.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:41 AM

Animal Mother is an unknown quantity at this point
Just go slow until you figure out the torque band on the TL; you'll figure out your own learning curve. For me (I've got a TL1000R) I find it's a lot easier to do stand-ups because I'm a short bastard. As for shifting between gears keep a finger over the clutch (even if powering it up) and try to find the balance point--my standups got a lot smoother when I realized that I was hugging the tank; hung my *** out a bit and things smoothed out. I can pull it up in 1st now and shift through 3rd (but keep in mind when praticing that the 1-2 shift is the hardest on the gear box if you're crunching 'em w/out enough clutch). For second, just find the power curve (it's big but there is always a sweet spot) and work on your clutch timing. If you're still having trouble, you can always give it a bounce and power up second.