Learning: Clutch/sit or stand/no clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 12:18 AM
I Have Too Much Free Time

bikerboy has a spectacular aura aboutbikerboy has a spectacular aura about
Learning: Clutch/sit or stand/no clutch

I was told today to just learn in 1st gear by powering it up without clutch. He said it is really aggressive and once you learn t the rest of the gears are cake.

I read from alot of guys here to start in second. But you are moving pretty fast and have greater potential of F'n something up including yourself.

I still can't get it to move when clutching. I reve let the clutch out and nothing. Not even a bouce off the ground. I can just rev, let off, and hit it and the front wil come up but haven't gotten high enough to balance. If I roll in second, get the revs high, and bounce without clutch then I can get it to get up about 5in. But at this point I am really movin'.

Clutching. I need to understand what you are talking about. I have a 98 gixxer 750 so maybe that might help, not sure though. Ride about 10-15mph, pull the clutch in just to the point of slipping. When its starts slipping rev and let out the clutch at the same time. Does this sound right or am I getting it wrong.

If you get it to balancing point in 1st, then how do you shift to 2nd, and on? Do you power shift it w/out the clutch or to be nice to the bike just clutch it and shift........

Or if I can just get it up off of power then forget clutching it altogether......

This is gettin long again.....
What do you think is the prob......
Old 09-17-2003, 12:38 AM

Also what causes a bent shift fork. Then 2nd gear is permanently F'd up and if you want it fixed then it'll cost big bucks. Almost cheaper to buy a new motor.........
Old 09-17-2003, 12:49 AM
Super-Thread-editor

Erik will become famous soon enough
Shifting from 1st to 2nd in a wheelie isn't a good idea if you're considering the shifter fork. The fork gets bent/broke from hard shifts when the gears are forced(correct me if I'm wrong). I started out with small wheelies, power only(letting up and gunning it). Then I went to clutching them up in first. After I got that figured out I tried 2nd gear. I don't know how good the clutch is on your bike, but if it's slipping out, maybe you need a new one. I don't slip mine to wheelie, I dump it and let it do its thing in first. I bounce my 2nd gear wheelies, and have to bounce/clutch in 3rd cuz my piece doesn't have the torque to do it alone. Play with the revs to where you find a good one that you're comfortable with. You should be able to power and/or clutch yours up in 2nd no problem, but it takes awhile to figure out the right speeds, proper form, etc... Good luck, take it one step at a time and you'll get it. Took me 3 weeks on my own to figure it out for example(I geared mine after I figured out how to bring it up in 2nd for stand-ups/3rd came randomly one day this summer)
Old 09-17-2003, 11:02 AM

aussie style is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree with CruiserErik.
Check you're PM
Old 09-17-2003, 01:53 PM
dedrater

verticaljay is a decent person
Re: Learning: Clutch/sit or stand/no clutch

Originally posted by bikerboy
I was told today to just learn in 1st gear by powering it up without clutch. He said it is really aggressive and once you learn t the rest of the gears are cake.

I read from alot of guys here to start in second. But you are moving pretty fast and have greater potential of F'n something up including yourself.

I still can't get it to move when clutching. I reve let the clutch out and nothing. Not even a bouce off the ground. I can just rev, let off, and hit it and the front wil come up but haven't gotten high enough to balance. If I roll in second, get the revs high, and bounce without clutch then I can get it to get up about 5in. But at this point I am really movin'.

Clutching. I need to understand what you are talking about. I have a 98 gixxer 750 so maybe that might help, not sure though. Ride about 10-15mph, pull the clutch in just to the point of slipping. When its starts slipping rev and let out the clutch at the same time. Does this sound right or am I getting it wrong.

If you get it to balancing point in 1st, then how do you shift to 2nd, and on? Do you power shift it w/out the clutch or to be nice to the bike just clutch it and shift........

Or if I can just get it up off of power then forget clutching it altogether......

This is gettin long again.....
What do you think is the prob......

Try disengaging the clutch fully (while rolling about 10-15) and test what rpms get the front off the ground..... If I tell you to try like 8k you might flip it, start in the low revs and work your way up. It wont take long to pop it up.
Old 09-17-2003, 05:37 PM

Re: Re: Learning: Clutch/sit or stand/no clutch

Originally posted by verticaljay
Try disengaging the clutch fully (while rolling about 10-15) and test what rpms get the front off the ground..... If I tell you to try like 8k you might flip it, start in the low revs and work your way up. It wont take long to pop it up.
Don't worry about me flippin it. Before I get to the point you say I'll try lower numbers and see if it'll come off the ground first. Well, here's the news. I revved it up to 9 grand, pulled in the cluth all the way and let it out when revved that high and it still won't come up. It just get a little more "pully"(if that's a real word. You know it bucks slightly forwards. That's it. Not even off the ground. I have better luck just rding it to 6-7 grand and bouncing without a clutch and can get about 5-6in off the ground.......

I just thought of something though. I think I may have +teeth on the sprockets. Maybe that's why it is not coming up.....Possibility?
Old 09-17-2003, 07:05 PM
Super-Thread-editor

Erik will become famous soon enough
So the clutch is grabbing securily? If it's slippin out you need new clutch plates, if you're sprockets are running you the wrong way(like up 1, down sumfin) then that'd kick you in the *** right off the bat. I forget where you can look up stock gearing, but there's a little number stamped on the side of the sprocket so you don't have to count the teeth.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:23 PM

03silvers is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by CruiserErik
So the clutch is grabbing securily? If it's slippin out you need new clutch plates, if you're sprockets are running you the wrong way(like up 1, down sumfin) then that'd kick you in the *** right off the bat. I forget where you can look up stock gearing, but there's a little number stamped on the side of the sprocket so you don't have to count the teeth.
i want to know my stock gearing...i think the prev. owner changed it the way i dont want it to be hehe, if anyone knows a link to find it that would be great